Coil and battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Macintosh

Oct 16, 2017
So I’m building a mech set up rn and I got the vgod elite mech with there rda and pro coils. The coils are .16-.18 ohms the vgod support told me to get a mxjo 18650 3000mah battery but I used a ohms law calculator and it seemed like I would blow my face off if I used these coils with the battery. Maybe I put in the wrong information on the calculator. I’d like to here what u guys have to say about this.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So I’m building a mech set up rn and I got the vgod elite mech with there rda and pro coils. The coils are .16-.18 ohms the vgod support told me to get a mxjo 18650 3000mah battery but I used a ohms law calculator and it seemed like I would blow my face off if I used these coils with the battery. Maybe I put in the wrong information on the calculator. I’d like to here what u guys have to say about this.

Hi and welcome,
THIS thread should cover all your questions.

However:
No. Those coils are NOT suitable for ANY single battery Mech.

I would disagree about the MXJO: Please select a suitable recommended battery and purchase from a trusted vendor (the blue section)
mooch2017.jpg

You MUST have a DMM or ohm/resistance meter of some sort to safely use a Mech mod.
How are you checking resistance ?
Do you have a regulated device? (something with a screen/display?)

Cheers
I

John Macintosh

Oct 16, 2017
Hi and welcome,
THIS thread should cover all your questions.

However:
No. Those coils are NOT suitable for ANY single battery Mech.

I would disagree about the MXJO: Please select a suitable recommended battery and purchase from a trusted vendor (the blue section)
View attachment 693911

You MUST have a DMM or ohm/resistance meter of some sort to safely use a Mech mod.
How are you checking resistance ?
Do you have a regulated device? (something with a screen/display?)

Cheers
I
I do not have a regulated device on me atm. I might be wrong but if a coil is .18 ohms but it’s a two coil mod then it would be split between both coils making it .9 ohms atleast this is what I’ve heard I might be wrong.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi John,
Dual coils HALVES the resistance, it does not double it. 2X 1.0Ω coils= .5Ω resistance.
Without a regulated device, you MUST have an ohm reader or DMM to safely use a mech.
EVERY build must be checked.
SAFER.jpg

Please read: Batteries for VGOD Elite extrem sub Ohm

Cheers
I

John Macintosh

Oct 16, 2017
Hi John,
Dual coils HALVES the resistance, it does not double it. 2X 1.0Ω coils= .5Ω resistance.
Without a regulated device, you MUST have an ohm reader or DMM to safely use a mech.
EVERY build must be checked.
View attachment 693913
Please read: Batteries for VGOD Elite extrem sub Ohm

Cheers
I
I could use my buddies regulated device to check the ohms of coils. But before the mxjo I was thinking of the VTC5A and that’s what I’m gonna go with but what kind of coils do you think are suitable for this kind of build

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Don't make me post another chart...:lol::lol:

Ohm meters are vital tools if you are building for a mech...you should OWN one or more.

As you can see above (chart), ANY build below .2Ω is NOT ADVISABLE.
Stay under 75%-80% of you battery's true CDR. Do not use the "Pulse" rating, EVER.

Have a look at Steam Engine and use it to "virtually" build your rig.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
I would encourage you to start with simple, round wire builds.
If purchasing "pre wound" coils , look for a resistance in the .7Ω to 1.0Ω range with 6/7 wraps and a 2.5mm-3.0mm inner diameter. A better option is to buy a spool or two of 26 and 24 AWG Kanthal and wrap them yourself.

Coiling is the easy part. Wicking is the female canine.

This may be a lot to handle all at once so:

1) Do not use the coils mentioned in your OP
2) Get an ohm meter/DMM/cheap regulated device to check every build.
3) K.I.S.S until you get your "mech legs" steady. Simple round wire coils.

Again, Welcome to ECF.
It's great to have you here.

Izan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sounds like you are new to mechs and sub-0hm coils.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.
Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
I do not have a regulated device on me atm. I might be wrong but if a coil is .18 ohms but it’s a two coil mod then it would be split between both coils making it .9 ohms atleast this is what I’ve heard I might be wrong.

Your math is incorrect. A reading of .18Ω from a 2 coil setup means that each individual coil is .36Ω.

Two .9 coils would give you a final reading of .45Ω.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

It's the other way around. A dual coil (configured in parallel) reading .18Ω consists of two .36Ω coils.

ETA: Izan and Lamarrk beat me to it. :)

Not to self: read the whole thread before responding. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread