Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Hiya, REOland. Good to see the "old" thread reopened! I come seeking advice. I'll be taking a little vacation to Hawaii this winter and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start feeling rushed.

I've been doing some research, and it seems like TSA & Co are alright w/ mods, batteries, & 100mL bottles of eliquid in carry-on.

My concern is thinking about what gear to actually bring along. My first instinct is to get one of the cheapo new squonk mods getting mass-produced nowadays, so I don't risk losing one of my treasured Grands. Then I think about how reliable those Grands are, and why I just stay with them.

I even briefly considered going back to one of my regulated/tank combos that've been sitting in storage boxes since I got my first Grand a couple years ago, but then remembered how much of a PITA they are comparatively. I found what works well for me, and have no desire to complicate this anymore. This isn't a hobby for me, it's harm reduction, and if it ain't broke...

Thoughts? Get a "disposable" squonk, or bring my lesser-favorite Grand? Both?

Thanks, and hope all are well!

Tapatalked from my Note8

Take the reo!! I wouldn't trust being that far from home with anything else! Never.

If ya loose it there's plenty more at the shop!

He'll id take 2 without double thinking it.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I travel quite a bit for work (every other week or so?) and I have a lot of squonkers (like 20?) and I still, ALWAYS bring one Reo. I now have two Reos that travel: my first Grand and a P67. I bring one other mod usually, but I've always got a Reo with me. They get dropped and banged around a bit - which is WHY it's a Reo I rely on for travelling.

You'll want to plan to take the bottle out for flight - I have a solid cap I put on the bottle I'm using, popping an empty on in it's place - and I do the swap literally often right outside the airport door.
I usually just wrap the atty in a paper towel, tuck that in a baggie, and tuck the whole bagged Reo/Atty in a little Pelican case.
Batteries in a case, in carry-on.
Liquid in smaller bottles, in carry-on.
Charger I have in checked luggage, but that's not a rule or anything.
ONCE in approximately a hundred flights, TSA pulled the mods out to see them.

Hiya, REOland. Good to see the "old" thread reopened! I come seeking advice. I'll be taking a little vacation to Hawaii this winter and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start feeling rushed.

I've been doing some research, and it seems like TSA & Co are alright w/ mods, batteries, & 100mL bottles of eliquid in carry-on.

My concern is thinking about what gear to actually bring along. My first instinct is to get one of the cheapo new squonk mods getting mass-produced nowadays, so I don't risk losing one of my treasured Grands. Then I think about how reliable those Grands are, and why I just stay with them.

I even briefly considered going back to one of my regulated/tank combos that've been sitting in storage boxes since I got my first Grand a couple years ago, but then remembered how much of a PITA they are comparatively. I found what works well for me, and have no desire to complicate this anymore. This isn't a hobby for me, it's harm reduction, and if it ain't broke...

Thoughts? Get a "disposable" squonk, or bring my lesser-favorite Grand? Both?

Thanks, and hope all are well!

Tapatalked from my Note8

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I travel quite a bit for work (every other week or so?) and I have a lot of squonkers (like 20?) and I still, ALWAYS bring one Reo. I now have two Reos that travel: my first Grand and a P67. I bring one other mod usually, but I've always got a Reo with me. They get dropped and banged around a bit - which is WHY it's a Reo I rely on for travelling.

You'll want to plan to take the bottle out for flight - I have a solid cap I put on the bottle I'm using, popping an empty on in it's place - and I do the swap literally often right outside the airport door.
I usually just wrap the atty in a paper towel, tuck that in a baggie, and tuck the whole bagged Reo/Atty in a little Pelican case.

Totally sound advise! Just keep the batteries separate in a battery case and your juice bottles in another clear zip lock.

Reactions: 57chilicat

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin

Decided I'll be bringing along my hammertone, along with a cheapo chinesium squonker. I did hit up Corey over at CustomClassic for the aftermarket pos contact he makes. Have one installed in my black wrinkle, and the difference it makes in voltage drop is beyond words.

Thanks for all the feedback, 'nauts! Now I just need to get all the other ducks lined up. I hate that scramble-y feeling right before a vacation.

Sloth, ignore all those people saying the Midwest is ignorable. Things here aren't as blatant as the coastal regions, but there's unspeakable beauty to be found. We're just a little more discreet about things around here.

Tapatalked from my Note8

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I did hit up Corey over at CustomClassic for the aftermarket pos contact he makes. Have one installed in my black wrinkle, and the difference it makes in voltage drop is beyond words.
    Are you seeing a difference with just the pos contact swap, or did you also eliminate neg spring?

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 3, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Are you seeing a difference with just the pos contact swap, or did you also eliminate neg spring?
    I didn't switch to the silver neg screw, which would probably pop it up another couple notches. The safety aspect of the collapsible spring... just can't justify bypassing it. It's not called an accident because it's planned out.

When I bought my first REO, the black wrinkle, the seller also sold me a cloned Magma bf atty. What I didn't know was the atty was crap and had a hard short in it. I dropped springs like crazy. That experience is still vivid to me.

Yeah, there's tech out there to test for hard shorts (I personally use a Sigelei 75w mod). Things get weird in a heartbeat. I'd rather replace a spring than get physical therapy.

Tapatalked from my Note8

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I didn't switch to the silver neg screw, which would probably pop it up another couple notches. The safety aspect of the collapsible spring... just can't justify bypassing it. It's not called an accident because it's planned out.

When I bought my first REO, the black wrinkle, the seller also sold me a cloned Magma bf atty. What I didn't know was the atty was crap and had a hard short in it. I dropped springs like crazy. That experience is still vivid to me.

Yeah, there's tech out there to test for hard shorts (I personally use a Sigelei 75w mod). Things get weird in a heartbeat. I'd rather replace a spring than get physical therapy.

Tapatalked from my Note8
    Yes, haven't dropped a spring yet, but it's comforting knowing it's there.
    I'm going to try the silver pos contact from Corey on one of my grands.
    Might also be an upgrade/option Eric could consider in the future.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    Can't believe you drove by the Reo World Headquarters and didn't stop in for a coffee. . .
    Oh my god. I didnt even think about it. Crap!! :eek:

Where you at in Indiana? I may be able to drop by on my way back in a couple weeks. That would be awesome!!!

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    Video - "Sloth visits Reoville HQ" - I can almost see it now...

Oh my god. I didnt even think about it. Crap!! :eek:

Where you at in Indiana? I may be able to drop by on my way back in a couple weeks. That would be awesome!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread