Is there a difference in pg/ vg quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I'm guessing, but if one could taste a difference in a blind test between two USP's, I would probably be wary of one of them.
I am not so sure.
USP is not the highest grade of purity, it is of sufficient purity for pharma applications. In my (not blind) testing USP alcohol was worse than cheap vodka.
But I tasted two or three VG from different suppliers, and there were no difference for me. Some controversy here... First I said you may be wrong, than I said you are probably right...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Question..So basically the vg pg used for vaping is best if it was pharmaceutical grade ... or is food grade sufficient?
If you mean highly refined/purified, no.
Could check American Chemical Society (ACS) standards. I believe chemical grade meets or exceeds ACS standards.
If you mean USP is the best because it is generally accepted as cost effective and refined/purified for vaping, Yes.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
...and the nicotine that goes into e-cig products is ..?
Typically not USP
Sorry, but yes it is USP... Non-USP nic is also under 99% before cut.

The completed base isn't USP, as no USP article to comply against for such exist, but the base is constructed of USP-complaint base-materials blended together to a new product.

Reactions: Letitia

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Sorry, but yes it is USP... Non-USP nic is also under 99% before cut.

The completed base isn't USP, as no USP article to comply against for such exist, but the base is constructed of USP-complaint base-materials blended together to a new product.

So you agree, the nicotine that goes into electronic cigarettes is not USP because diluted nicotine in PG or VG is not USP. I don't believe anyone is mixing USP (+99%) nicotine into E-liquid.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hi all
i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a substantial difference in vg or pg i.e. quality or composition etc.. or is it all thd same no matter where one gets it?
Would highly appreciate knowledge on this subject thanks

I make and vape NETs exclusively, I've been buying/using USP grade PG, VG and liquid nic since 2012. Late in 2013, just before finding/joining ECF, I had a bad experience with an off-brand PG purchased from a seller on Amazon. While it was sold as and labeled USP grade it most certainly wasn't. A few months after the purchase it began developing an Acetone smell and taste, I ended up flushing it and all the NET that had been made using it. Fortunately, since I age NETs for several months before vaping them, I didn't vape any of this PG but I lost several liters of NET. This was a wake-up call for me. From that point on I've only purchased USP PG and VG from "Bulk Apothecary" or "Essential Depot", I trust the big companies and haven't been disappointed since. Anyone can print a label and there's no shortage of unscrupulous vendors/individuals in the on-line marketplace, just look at all the counterfeit batteries floating around. When it comes to something I'll be inhaling, I want the best and need to have absolute confidence I'm receiving the quality/purity I paid for. YMMV

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
So you agree, the nicotine that goes into electronic cigarettes is not USP because diluted nicotine in PG or VG is not USP. I don't believe anyone is mixing USP (+99%) nicotine into E-liquid.
I agree that nicbases isn't USP(as isn't possible), but is using USP nic to make said base, as can be seen by the many vendors which lists COAs for there base-components.

Think nicotine-river and vaperstek etc, using alchem and chemnovatic USP nic. Also, for eliquid, I believe nicselect is very wide-ly used...

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I agree that nicbases isn't USP(as isn't possible), but is using USP nic to make said base, as can be seen by the many vendors which lists COAs for there base-components.

Think nicotine-river and vaperstek etc, using alchem and chemnovatic USP nic. Also, for eliquid, I believe nicselect is very wide-ly used...

Yup. Best we can do is ensure all the ingredients used to make the base "were" USP grade, once diluted the resulting base doesn't actually carry a USP designation. I can live with that as long as a "reputable/competent" company does the mixing/dilution/bottling. ;)

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
I make and vape NETs exclusively, I've been buying/using USP grade PG, VG and liquid nic since 2012. Late in 2013, just before finding/joining ECF, I had a bad experience with an off-brand PG purchased from a seller on Amazon. While it was sold as and labeled USP grade it most certainly wasn't. A few months after the purchase it began developing an Acetone smell and taste, I ended up flushing it and all the NET that had been made using it. Fortunately, since I age NETs for several months before vaping them, I didn't vape any of this PG but I lost several liters of NET. This was a wake-up call for me. From that point on I've only purchased USP PG and VG from "Bulk Apothecary" or "Essential Depot", I trust the big companies and haven't been disappointed since. Anyone can print a label and there's no shortage of unscrupulous vendors/individuals in the on-line marketplace, just look at all the counterfeit batteries floating around. When it comes to something I'll be inhaling, I want the best and need to have absolute confidence I'm receiving the quality/purity I paid for. YMMV
Wow that toughs it up for me cause i really wouldnt know whom to trust since im not in the us... there is a pharmaceutical manufacturer of pg vg here thats reputable but the price would be substantially higher and if where i get my pg vg now are telling the truth re. Usp i cant know for sure, however i will interrogate it further.. anyway whatever needs be for me to make sure i inhale the right sh.. will be done.. either way itll cost a hell of alot less than the average 30ml bottle of ejuice sold at an average vendor here for about 15$ ....
This is great to know all this....
Grateful for the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread