What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Yikes! Glad I married a nurse, my cost for healthcare is pretty reasonable. I think we pay around $100 a month through my wife's job to cover the family and that includes dental and vision. I get the dental coverage as well through my work to help with braces for the boys so that adds around $30 a month. My youngest just got his braces on and my insurance covered 50% and my wife's covered the other 50%, so all we had to pay was the office visit. Healthcare is a racket anyway and somebody is making a ton of money off of it. Wish it was me...

Reactions: hittman

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
It's all about the wife's job boys. With her working at the hospital and being an RN the insurance is cheaper. If I used the coverage offered by my job it'd be more than double what I'm paying and the deductibles would go up along with the prescription coverage. I also do an HSA that I commit about two grand a year that covers any medical costs like office visits, prescriptions, medical supplies, etc..

On a different note, my wife's car has developed a vibration at highway speeds recently. I thought maybe one of the tires threw a balance weight or maybe a warped rotor. So I bought it into work today and decided to do a brake job to see if I could track it down. Started on the driver's side front, no problems, moved to rear same side, no problems. Switched to the passenger side front and found the issue. It was the tire all along. It had a flat spot about 8 inches long on the inside edge of the tread. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I've seen tires flat spotted before but usually it is across the the whole tire. and usually it's on both sides. So besides new brakes, the wife also got new tires today. Yea me! Not so much yea for my checkbook... :(

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Here's a picture of the tire and the flat spot. Like I said, really weird that it was only in that little area.

full

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    For some reason, I can't view the picture. It says I don't have permission.

Years ago, before my wife got breast cancer, she had a good job with a great company as an accountant. The insurance cost us about $75 a month for a family of four with dental and eye. We didn't pay any copay for office visits and paid $5 for prescriptions. We didn't pay a penny when she had either one of the kids. Those were the days. Now I pay through the nose for coverage that's not that great and has what I consider to be a high deductible.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    My boss just gave me the new health insurance forms to fill out. This is even worse than I thought. We are switching companies so I am going to lose the discount that I get for participating in the humana go365 health program. I still don't know what the final number is but I'm sure it's going to be terrible.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    That sucks hitt. The entire healthcare industry is a joke. I don't see how they think anything is affordable to anyone but the upper echelons of society.

My brother skips any coverage in order to afford rent, and my mom pays just under half of her income monthly toward her coverage. I'm very fortunate that GM foots the bills for my coverage but I'm expecting they'll shuffle the cost onto the rank and file in the one of the next two contracts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    It's affordable for the upper and lower echelons. For everyone else it's expensive because you're picking it up for for not only yourself, but to cover those that have no insurance, just like it was before obamacare. And for those covered by Ocare, you're paying again with your tax dollars.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    The new plan doesn't take affect until December. The coverage is about the same as what we had except the emergency room and hospitalization is crazy expensive. I'm way overdue for a raise so I'm probably going to ask for one once it starts.

Reactions: The Rebel

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Just had a notice come down the UAW local app that they're currently working on getting management to allow vaping on the plant floor. Step in the right direction with winter coming, not freezing outside is my favorite vaping perk.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I was a card carrying UAW member back in the late 90s before the whole indoor ban came into effect. Half the guys I worked with were smokers and we smoked almost anywhere in the factory besides the break rooms and near flammable stuff. The glory days so to speak. Now I sit at my desk and vape whenever I feel like it. I have a co worker who vapes and the other people in the office don't care. Although there is always that one chick who fake coughs when we get a cloud going. She's a peach... :rolleyes:

Hope that gets passed Waho. Going outside in the summer is fine, but after two days of non stop rain and snowflakes in the futurecast, I think it's safe to say that winter is upon us...

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    In my old shop they didn't care where you vaped, just not in team meetings and the like. It helped I converted my comitteeman to vaping after 44 years of smoking in that instance.

This shop it depends who catches you. The only person we watch for is the shift manager, otherwise the regular line and department managers don't care. Still, it'd be nice to not have to pseudo hide it.

Users who are viewing this thread