Joyetech Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgy Girl

Oct 20, 2017
I read on here last night about using a needle to poke holes in the cotton at the top of the coil. I can't remember who posted/discovered this, sorry, but I wish to thank whoever it was very, very much. I am now able to vape a juice which was previously burning out my coils, not to mention my throat. One happy little vaper right here :)

taraobil

Jul 4, 2014
Malaysia
I read on here last night about using a needle to poke holes in the cotton at the top of the coil. I can't remember who posted/discovered this, sorry, but I wish to thank whoever it was very, very much. I am now able to vape a juice which was previously burning out my coils, not to mention my throat. One happy little vaper right here :)

+1, so far that is working very well for me too. I have a question related to this method. I poked 4 holes on a 0.25 coils but still got burned even it flooded every now and then, weird. I then poked 2 holes on a 0.6 coil and so far it's working great.

I vape 50/50 mostly and not very sweet juices. My question is how many holes should one poke on the coil depending on the type of liquid. Also good if others could share how do they do it (hole poking) and liquids they use (pg/vg, sweetness, etc) to have more information on this method and be able to control it better.

Thanks!

Reactions: Georgy Girl
Hi. Bought a Joyetech Penguin on Wednesday evening, filled 'er up with 60/40 VG juice, put a few drops in the 0.6 ohm end coil holes and started using it. Worked great except there was very little flavour compared to my Aspire PockeX using the same juice. Did the 'finger over the air vent and inhale' priming trick yesterday and the flavour was a bit better. Then last night did the 'poke two holes in the wick' trick and it now has full flavour. Also yesterday, I ordered another cartridge and 10 spare 0.6 ohm coils from The Mist Factory. They arrived in the mail this morning! Anyway, this time I followed the Youtube instructions when filling the new cartridge with another flavour of 60/40 VG juice and another 0.6 ohm coil () ie. prime all 3 holes, wait 5 mins, and inhale a few times with power off) and the flavour was spot on from the get go. Amazing what happens when you follow the instructions. D'Oh! Anyhow, love this little Penguin and its 8.8ml tank! Cheers.

Reactions: Georgy Girl

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Looks like the maximum output is still 50 Watts (fresh off the charger). That won't be a problem hitting a 1.2 Ohm coil?
Not at all..... A 1.2ohm coil wont go above about 15 watts on fully charged bat.

"50 Watts (fresh off the charger)" is not accurate, I tested it myself - see my notes towards the bottom of:
Actual temperatures inside a Penguin Atopack SE then do the math.
upload_2017-11-4_11-39-32.png

The Penguin and Dolphin are essentially a mech electrically (no regulation at all) so straight ohms law applies. If you do the math - Joyetech is quoting a 0.25 ohm coil at a "nominal 3.6v" to arrive at their "50watts max" spec.

upload_2017-11-4_11-45-0.png

All lipos are rated at a "nominal" voltage of 3.6v, its the battery industry standard way of rating them.

The reality is that when fully charged they are ~4.2v, and the voltage gradually declines as the battery is depleted. When fully depleted they are somewhere between 2.8v to 3.2v depending on the brand of the bat and its cutoff, usually ~3.2v for lipos, and ~2.8 for cylindrical cells like 18650s. The Penguins use real lipos, not cylindrical cells.
20170917_180759.jpg

Now, what voltage a Mod Company uses for its wattage specs depends on the company, some like Joytech use the industry standard of a "nominal 3.6v", and other less scrupulous companies will use a "max of 4.2v".

At the "nominal" voltage of 3.6v the maximum wattage for the Penguin or the Dolphin will be:
On the 0.25 coils you would see a max of about 50 watts
On the 0.6 coils you would see a max of about 22 watts
On the 1.2 coils you would see a max of about 10.4 watts

On a "fully charged" bat at 4.2v the maximum wattage will be higher:
On the 0.25 coils you would see a max of about 70 watts
On the 0.6 coils you would see a max of about 30 watts
On the 1.2 coils you would see a max of about 15 watts

All three coils will fit the Penguin or the Dolphin
JVIC1 (0.25ohm) DL. /JVIC2 (0.6ohm) MTL./JVIC3(1.2ohm) MTL

I am curious about the airflow restriction block, and if it will fit the Penguin. It is a separate piece from the coil, the coil cartridge itself is the standard JVIC shape as all the others.
upload_2017-11-4_11-32-43.png

Looking at the silicon bottom of a Penguin Pod, it is doubtful, but possible. I wont know until I get one in my hands.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I am curious about the airflow restriction block, and if it will fit the Penguin. It is a separate piece from the coil, the coil cartridge itself is the standard JVIC shape as all the others.
View attachment 698027

Looking at the silicon bottom of a Penguin Pod, it is doubtful, but possible. I wont know until I get one in my hands.

After getting a good look at the bottom of a Dolphin Pod I do NOT think the air restricter block will work on a Penguin. The airhole is more offset (to the right) in the penguin. the 1.2 ohm coil will work though.

upload_2017-11-6_13-13-55.png

taraobil

Jul 4, 2014
Malaysia
My problem with the .6 is constant dry hits.
Same for me. In fact I just changed a burned coil. I checked it out and it was soaked, the two holes I poked on the top opperture were visible and no real sign of burned cotton on the visible parts, but still I was getting dry hits and burned taste.

It's weir to me since the coil was soaked. I don't understand. The 0.6 coils won't last me more than a day.

Do you guys chain vape on the penguin? Or is it more a casual vape? I am thinking that it's possible that I don't let enough time between hits for the coil to reabsorb juice, it would be helpful if I could know if you chain vape, at least to confirm or discard this suspicion.

Thanks.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Same for me. In fact I just changed a burned coil. I checked it out and it was soaked, the two holes I poked on the top opperture were visible and no real sign of burned cotton on the visible parts, but still I was getting dry hits and burned taste.

It's weir to me since the coil was soaked. I don't understand. The 0.6 coils won't last me more than a day.

Do you guys chain vape on the penguin? Or is it more a casual vape? I am thinking that it's possible that I don't let enough time between hits for the coil to reabsorb juice, it would be helpful if I could know if you chain vape, at least to confirm or discard this suspicion.

Thanks.
I chain vape. I have not poked holes in the .6. The only time I have burned a coil is because I wasn't watching my juice level. I do find by day 2 though that after a few minutes of chain vaping I get gurgle. Then if I invert the unit juice pours out of the mouthpiece. Then it will vape fine for a few more minutes and rinse and repeat clearing the gurgle.

With the lower ohm coil that does not happen for me.

Reactions: taraobil

taraobil

Jul 4, 2014
Malaysia
I chain vape. I have not poked holes in the .6. The only time I have burned a coil is because I wasn't watching my juice level. I do find by day 2 though that after a few minutes of chain vaping I get gurgle. Then if I invert the unit juice pours out of the mouthpiece. Then it will vape fine for a few more minutes and rinse and repeat clearing the gurgle.

With the lower ohm coil that does not happen for me.

No idea then. I use 50/50 liquids, not very sweet, I poke and prime the coils, and still can't get restults as you described. I am starting to think that I might have got a bad batch of coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread