Second Try at E-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

privateer

Jun 17, 2012
A, A
About 2 years ago I purchased (not really it was one of this 1 month free trials) my first e-cig starter kit. the nice lady on the phone asked the important questions, how many packs a day and what brand. after the questions she proceeded to tell me that i need to get the red(cowboy) cartos @ 20 (mgs I believe it was). Got the kit....cool thing......charged the bats.....started vaping....great....feels the same....well later that evening i thought i was going to die...my hart was going a million miles an hour....got scared, packed the thing and shipped it back to them...

I believe that 20mg cartos were to much for my 1 pack a day habit and I am willing to try again with half the amount.

just wanted to get info from the experts here, I want to use fallible Cartos, use US made e-liquid, auto battery type and also ask if it is better to get another starter kit or just go searching for batteries and chargers online???....

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
20mg might have been too much, but it's more likely that you went through the same thing we all did before you learned to regulate the amount of nicotine you get by pacing yourself.

I would highly suggest you skip the auto battery requirement. Everyone want those, but only people who do brain surgery while they vape, or cling to antenna towers, ever stay with them. You get a lot more control with a manual battery, and it sounds like control is what you might benefit from.

I'd also suggest that you not let your previous experience scare you into using too low a nicotine level. Juice usually comes in multiples of 6. What you had before was probably 24mg. That may be a tiny bit high, but 18mg should be about right for a pack/day smoker. Maybe some 12mg for night time or when you just want to vape a lot.

If you want something about the size of a cigarette, there is one model that consistently get higher reviews than the others, honest non-commercial reviews, that is. The Volt from Smokelessimage.com is generally acknowledged around here to be one of, if not the best cigarette style e-cig available. 25% off makes it a no-brainer. You can buy blank cartomizers from Smokelessimage or elsewhere and fill them with your own juice. If you want American made juice, you can buy it separately. NEVER buy an e-cig on the basis of what juice it comes with. Thousands of ex-Blu vapers will back me up on that.

A kit is almost always better than buying individual components, unless you already have compatible devices like battery chargers and such.

If you want a cig-style e-cig and are prepared to deal with the limitations that come from ALL cig-style e-cigs, you can't do better than the Volt. They have a 25% off sale for Fathers' Day. You need a coupon code and I'm sure someone who remembers it will be along shortly. Or, you can go to their forum in the vendors section where it's probably posted.

Their kits are complete, blank re-fillable cartridges are available, their service is 1st rate and they have charging cases for when you're out and about. There is also a promotion to get a free battery if you post a pic of yourself with your volt in their forum here in the vendors section.

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I would second the suggestion of a kGo if you can see you way to something larger than a cigarette. They're about the size of a Sharpie marker pen or petite cigar. The 1100mah battery will last you all day, so you don't need a charging case.
A kGo and a couple boxes of cartomizers is the simplest, most foolproof way to get a good start on things.

I definitely would NOT recommend going too low on the nicotine level. With all due respect to Hottody, that's terrible advice to give a new vaper. A lower nicotine level will NOT help you quit smoking. In fact, it's just the opposite. A low nicotine level will leave you craving for a cigarette and wondering why. Your body will tell you when you've had enough, just like it did when you first started smoking. You can always lower the amount of nicotine in your juice. It's much harder to increase it. You can always vape less. It's harder to vape more if you aren't getting enough nicotine to satisfy you. Nicotine builds up slowly when you vape. It's not like a cigarette where it hits you within seconds. Just pay attention to your own body and what it's telling you. If you start feeling nauseous or dizzy, back off for an hour. It happens to everyone at first. I got all spaced out and dizzy when I started on 24mg. After the first day, it was no problem and I kept vaping 24mg for the next 2 years.

After you are over your cigarette addiction, you can gradually lower the nicotine level you are using. In the beginning, don't push it. Vape at a reasonable pace and be conscious of what your body is telling you. Nobody ever O.D'd from vaping 24mg nicotine juice. Lots of people picked up a cigarette because their juice was too low in nicotine.

Last edited:

couch magnet

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2011
california
Hey there ptivateer, I smoked a pack a day and use 24 mg juice. I think you were probly vaping to often. But theres no way i could just sit here and vape every 10 minutes @ 24 mg i would get sick What I do is take 5 or six big puffs and repeat about every hour. Maybe try 12 mg if you want to just vape for extended periods of time. Or better yet order a twelve mg and a 24 or 18 mg juice. There is a bit of a learning curve when you start. But once you find out which juice you like and at wich strength it should help things.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I like my nic mgs just a little lower than I need so I can chain vape LOL. I think the others are 100% correct about trying the Kgo. Most all of us started with an auto battery cig look alike and went slowly larger and larger until we reached the longest battery life we could get. This cost us more money in upgrades than we care to remember. In the beginning charging every few hours was OK but it got old really fast. Another thing to think about is that any battery only has so many recharges in it. What this ends up meaning for you is that if you have a cig look alike that gets charged every 3 hours versus a Kgo battery that gets charged every 10 or 12 hours the smaller batt has about one third the over all life of the Kgo batt. Some of us just have to go threw the stages and some stay with the small batts forever. We are just trying to save you some money if we can. Also the Kgo is 510 threaded. Most of the cartomizers, attys and Clearomizers are 510 threaded. The Volt and most other cig sized PVs are 808 threaded. The Kgo can handle low resistance cartos as well for more and warmer vapor while the volt cannot. The Kgo gives you lots of room to experiment with different ways to deliver the vaper while the volt does not. I hope this helps. Good luck no matter what you choose.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Sailor is 100% correct about the nic level. You can vape less if it's too high but you are screwed if it's too low cause you will be craving analogs like crazy. When I started I ordered a small bottle of 36mg flavorless liquid just to have on hand just in case I needed to up the mg a bit. I did need it a few times. Just an idea.

Skibadabomski

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Tokyo
This is also my 2nd try.

It's too shameful to admit. Oh what the heck..

I tried to vape a GGTS and a cartomizer with no liquid .. yup I got one hit. That was the battery burning out or the cartomizer burning out but I was like " look !! see it " then after coughing with a burnt taste in my mouth.

Now that is bad hey? with a GGTS as well. I thought I'd wasted a fortune. Then when I did figure out liquid was used it still didn't work as I had a short in my spring. 8 months later a friend helped me and sorted out my GG and now I'm on phase 2 so as to speak.

This time I'll nail it.

Skibadabomski

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Tokyo
Wow!! A GGTS no less. At least you were failing in style. :)
Should be easy going for you now.

Yes but I live in Tokyo and they when this happened no one knew anything about them. Saying that they still don't. Saying that the Japanese are crazy smokers. Saying that ...

*runs off to build web site get stickers and some mini bottles and make mixes*

fieldh0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
South Central Mississippi
Hottdoty-Congrats on the 0mg nic. I just started this month and I'll be working my way down on the nic after I get over the newbe syndrome. When I started, I wore it around my neck and vape all the time. At 24 mg. that was working me over. It might sound crazy but I carry two with me. One is regular eGo with around 24mg (diluted), and a 808 in my pocket with 36mg breath freshener flavor. I use the 36mg as a kick after I've gone several hours without or just before I go into a meeting where I'll be without for several hours. I think, after the new wears off (new toy, sweet taste) I'll be able to start diluting them both. Already have my bottle of 6mg, 70/30.

Last edited:

privateer

Jun 17, 2012
A, A
Ok..I am sold... going with the KGO starter... a couple of questions.. and Please remember I am a Newbie

Cartos or Atomizers + carts?? or both??

What are the cones for??? style, prevent e-liquid to spill into your mouth (did happened on my first attempt at vapping) or what?

As far as e-liquid.... I am not really into sweets, never liked Winsto_s because they are too sweet for me, that's why I smoke Marls.... so what brand, or flavor do you recommend??

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
Stick with cartos in the beginning. Attys are good for testing out liquids so you don't waste a carto on them. Consider getting some of the "Resurrectors" from Crystal Clear Vaping. They're 1.7ohm XL cartos and work great. They also have free shipping on everything on their site.

I don't have a KGO, but I do have an E-Power (basically the same) and as far as I can tell the cone is just for aesthetics.

When it comes to liquid I can't help. I don't vape tobacco flavors and I like a lot of sweet ones. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread