Ẁhere to get combustible tobacco cigarettes with no nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Eggzactly!!!
Regular cigs will always be available, the FDA doesn't have the power to change all cigarettes.

As usual, you are the voice of reason!!
The 2009 Smoking act gives the FDA the power to change ALL cigarettes sold in the US and that's what they propose to do, not by adding air to the smoke, but by reducing the nicotine content of the tobacco to negligible levels, not because nicotine is harmful in itself, but because it is believed to be the principle ingredient that creates dependence on combustible tobacco cigarettes. If zero nic cigs don't create dependence in kids it's an interesting idea. We care about the kids, right?

motordude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
VA, USA
The 2009 Smoking act gives the FDA the power to change ALL cigarettes sold in the US and that's what they propose to do, not by adding air to the smoke, but by reducing the nicotine content of the tobacco to negligible levels, not because nicotine is harmful in itself, but because it is believed to be the principle ingredient that creates dependence on combustible tobacco cigarettes. If zero nic cigs don't create dependence in kids it's an interesting idea. We care about the kids, right?
This is from the FDA site
The Tobacco Control Act does not:
The law makes clear that FDA's role is to regulate and protect the public health, but it places a few restrictions on FDA's powers. FDA cannot:

• Require prescriptions to purchase tobacco products.
  • Require the reduction of nicotine yields to zero.
  • Ban face-to-face sales in a particular category of retail outlets.
  • Ban certain classes of tobacco products.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Only because that is what we have been told for all these years. I have come to believe we have been fooled by smoke and mirrors. I was guilty of thinking I smoked to get my nic fix when in fact it wasn't just the nic I was craving. In my personal opinion removing the nic from smokes will do no good at all. It will just cause smokers to smoke more because one of the most benign ingredients that they have come to expect will be gone.

I will admit that I could be totally wrong though and removing the nic won't make a bit of difference. I think it will just give those that still think nicotine is evil a false since of security. They will think smokes are now safe to use because the demon nicotine has been removed :facepalm:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This is from the FDA site
The Tobacco Control Act does not:
The law makes clear that FDA's role is to regulate and protect the public health, but it places a few restrictions on FDA's powers. FDA cannot:

• Require prescriptions to purchase tobacco products.
  • Require the reduction of nicotine yields to zero.
  • Ban face-to-face sales in a particular category of retail outlets.
  • Ban certain classes of tobacco products.
Gottlieb proposed to reduce nic in cigs to a non addictive level, not zero. If nic is barely detectable my guess is the smoker will smoke less or not at all. Likely behavior could be determined with research. I believe there has been some of that.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Not when I started, no. I was 18 and knew everything back then. But as of the past, oh, 12 years or so, I have considered my cig habit both not so smart and extremely dumb. Assuming a lower IQ didn't do much to save me from the perils of addiction, though vaping certainly helped (I still do plenty of dumb stuff, however). I just don't smoke. :)
Most of us were young and dumb when we started smoking but at that point we felt invincible. It is one of those, "if I knew then what I know now", things we would never have done. I am just so thankful that young folks (and some of us old folks) now have a better option.

But, I am starting to come around to the idea that we shouldn't have a cig prohibition, rather more open and honest debate about harm reduction would be the way to go. Teen use already on the decline, there's a large subset of older smokers who will be may be hitting some hard consequences over the next few years.... Smoking could end or be substantially decreased given those factors and the increasing popularity of e-cigs.

Anna
Fixed that for those that are reading this. The statistics are manipulated to say what the alphabets want them to say. When a smoker dies or gets sick it is always the smoking that caused the sickness or death. I could accept a sickness or death being caused by smoking if it was something that only smokers suffered but at this point even heart attacks are blamed on smoking. The ad on TV says so, so it must be true. :(

I accept that smoking isn't a healthy thing to do but if one stubs a toe it will be blamed on smoking because the smoker wasn't paying attention to where he/she was walking because they were lighting up a smoke. (Maybe just a little over the top with this analogy) :D

A big :thumbs: for the rest of the message though. :) I truly do believe that if vaping is left to grow and the bad press is reversed we could see the end of folks getting hooked on combustible tobacco use in the not to distant future.

As always, just my personal thoughts.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Gottlieb proposed to reduce nic in cigs to a non addictive level, not zero. If nic is barely detectable my guess is the smoker will smoke less or not at all. Likely behavior could be determined with research. I believe there has been some of that.
I am curious. I am wondering what level would be considered a non-addictive level. Either nicotine is addictive or isn't addictive. I am in the camp that believes it isn't addictive when separated from cigarette smoking.

Do you really believe that if a smoker is faced with barely detectable nicotine they will just quit smoking or are you talking about a never smoker?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I am curious. I am wondering what level would be considered a non-addictive level. Either nicotine is addictive or isn't addictive. I am in the camp that believes it isn't addictive when separated from cigarette smoking.

Do you really believe that if a smoker is faced with barely detectable nicotine they will just quit smoking or are you talking about a never smoker?
Those are questions that might be answered with research that's already been done. What if kids who only have access to ultra low nic cigs never get addicted to them. If true that would be an important finding. If smokers who only have access to ultra low nic cigs ended up smoking 80% fewer cigs that would be an important finding too. I suspect both are true but may be some studies would clarify that.

Reactions: Eskie

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1502403#t=article

nejmsa1502403_f1.jpeg

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Those are questions that might be answered with research that's already been done. What if kids who only have access to ultra low nic cigs never get addicted to them. If true that would be an important finding. If smokers who only have access to ultra low nic cigs ended up smoking 80% fewer cigs that would be an important finding too. I suspect both are true but may be some studies would clarify that.
I would never try to claim that I know what is in another persons thoughts but it seems to me that you believe that it's mostly the nicotine in smokes that has gotten generation after generation of folks hooked on smoking whereas I think it is the act of combustion and the chemicals released by burning. I fear even no or low nicotine smokes will be just as habit forming as what we have today. Only time will tell.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would never try to claim that I know what is in another persons thoughts but it seems to me that you believe that it's mostly the nicotine in smokes that has gotten generation after generation of folks hooked on smoking whereas I think it is the act of combustion and the chemicals released by burning. I fear even no or low nicotine smokes will be just as habit forming as what we have today. Only time will tell.

If that is the case, why do smokers who transition to vaping do so with nicotine or even a WTA added while plain Pg/VG is almost never going to cut it? For that matter why do patches and gum work for anyone? If it's not the nicotine, are they all stopping smoking by a placebo effect?

For a portion of the population exposure to nicotine (and whatever else might have some synergistic effect) results in addiction, just like some exposed to alcohol become addicted. Cigarettes cause heart disease, stroke, and cancer. We know it's not the nicotine causing all that but rather all the other crap produced by burning tobacco. We just had the commissioner of the FDA come out and say precisely that.

If they want to try lowering nicotine in combustible tobacco (not to zero, but as low as they can) I say let them and see if it does drive folks away from cigarettes. The graphs @Mazinny just posted seems to support that.

I am happy to advocate for the use of vaping as a harm reduction approach to stop smoking. I cannot advocate for the right to smoke. I cannot understand why folks who hate BT would want to see even one person buy a pack of cigarettes. It's not a matter of freedom of personal choice, it's a refusal to see large corporations continue to make billions of dollars in profit while killing millions. If someone wants to RYO, that's their right, but every vaper, or anyone who finds another method to stop smoking is one less person for BT to make a profit off of. I am comfortable advocating for that.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well nicotine IS the demon and we All need an exorcism!:blink:
Especially the smokers!

ETA
I also believe all teenagers need to go through government funded mind control.
End of "for the children "
I am really glad I can understand sarcasm when I see it :lol::lol::lol:

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
If that is the case, why do smokers who transition to vaping do so with nicotine or even a WTA added while plain Pg/VG is almost never going to cut it? For that matter why do patches and gum work for anyone? If it's not the nicotine, are they all stopping smoking by a placebo effect?

For a portion of the population exposure to nicotine (and whatever else might have some synergistic effect) results in addiction, just like some exposed to alcohol become addicted. Cigarettes cause heart disease, stroke, and cancer. We know it's not the nicotine causing all that but rather all the other crap produced by burning tobacco. We just had the commissioner of the FDA come out and say precisely that.

If they want to try lowering nicotine in combustible tobacco (not to zero, but as low as they can) I say let them and see if it does drive folks away from cigarettes. The graphs @Mazinny just posted seems to support that.

I am happy to advocate for the use of vaping as a harm reduction approach to stop smoking. I cannot advocate for the right to smoke. I cannot understand why folks who hate BT would want to see even one person buy a pack of cigarettes. It's not a matter of freedom of personal choice, it's a refusal to see large corporations continue to make billions of dollars in profit while killing millions. If someone wants to RYO, that's their right, but every vaper, or anyone who finds another method to stop smoking is one less person for BT to make a profit off of. I am comfortable advocating for that.

I think the addiction comes from multiple factors. The nicotine itself, the way it's delivered, and the ritual that the user goes through. Vaping gives me the nic and replaces the ritual.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Thank you for the clarification. Sadly, so many of us started smoking well before we realized the danger of our decision :( I truly do hope the idea of trying to force smokers into making the switch ends up on the cutting room floor. Just stop the lies and I think more smokers would be willing to do it on their own.

Agree with you so much....
Some of us started smoking KNOWING all the dangers and STill did it :)

I remember seeing all the lung slices and the before and afters in high school. Scared the heck out of me, but when it came down to the decision, well , remember?

I also agree with you that most "ex" whatever become just as bad, if not worse in demonizing what ever they just "quit"

But in reality, if they could take out the added addictive ingredients they add to the cigarettes, that would make a world of difference, health wise. Nicotine is not BAD ( in moderation, like booze or food or bad relationships ) the combustion; not good ( grilling? ) but its the com busted materials that cause the harm and the Tar.

If we accept these stupid things like NO nic, what is next ?

We wont be able to drink coffee, cola, and ANYTHING else that is stimulating ? They will take sugar away and the list goes on. Yet they throw all those "health" drinks , pills etc at us that are full of extremely stimulating "herbs" that are just as bad as all those "drugs" if not WORSE.

OK, went on a rant.... Sorry :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I haven't really seen a demonization of smokers, more a hope that more smokers switch, with one side indicating that reduction in nicotine may reduce addiction in new users, and/or more smokers will switch to vaping.

What really changed my mind was thinking about if my tobacco had nicotine removed from it while I was still smoking and I was pretty much "told" to get nic, I'd have to vape.

Usually if I have a big resentment like if SOMEONE MESSES with my STUFF that I'm addicted to and am going to have to do something else??? That kind of resentment would make my desire to go vape.... I'll put it politely and say my desire to vape would DIMINISH.

Without readiness, smokers aren't going to quit even if you hand them THE BEST harm reduction item on the planet. It took me several years vaping sporadically to EVEN be ready, and it was still hard. Had it been forced by the government.... I would not have felt good at ALL. Took me a while to get there, but I thought it through.... All the way, read both sides of the price tag.

What seems to be working elsewhere is making both available, and the harm reduction option more appealing as time passes.... I'm HAPPY and it's FUN to carry around my Steampunk nano and vape it. Never really felt that way about cigarettes. But... now I do about vaping, and I also have OMG so much more energy. It's a bit terrifying. Can't wait for my dentures (Friday, maybe Monday) to be back in so I can leave the ArgHHHH house more! :)

I wish there were a way to select out new smokers and give them low nic cigs to see if addiction reduces or less smokers start smoking. But that is already the case, so perhaps just letting the market play out would be the best way....

Totally simple solution, so it probably won't happen. But, I haven't seen people demonize smokers in general.

Anna

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I will be the first to admit that I do not know. I also don't know that there aren't folks out there that have quit smoking with plain PG/VG or quickly dropped the nicotine.

Some folks and I would venture to say most folks that smoke do get hooked on the chemical soup created by burning. I would never argue that point.

Most of the folks here chose to switch to vaping for reasons of their own. I will never advocate trying to force folks to make the switch. I actually think this discussion is moot since I don't think removing the nicotine will accomplish what the powers that be want. It will just get smokers up in arms but then I learned a long time ago that most non-smokers consider smokers not worth listening to :(

As am I but I will not try to force a smoker to do as I do just because I believe it is a healthier choice. I don't hate BT. They didn't force me to smoke. I did that all on my own.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I wish there were a way to select out new smokers and give them low nic cigs to see if addiction reduces or less smokers start smoking. But that is already the case, so perhaps just letting the market play out would be the best way....

That would be illegal to subject humans to a known addictive substance that kills half it's long term users. We all know, there is more than nicotine in those things that is addictive.

But it's fine to sell them at the 7/11 on the corner. Or prescribe opiates and get people hooked.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, I'm not saying force nicotine on never users, but a way to start new smokers out gently.... That said, I started smoking in England and smoked Silk Cuts (OMG, not a good idea to think about those) but I don't think they were super high nic at all. It's my understanding that the more/longer one smokes, the more nic receptors sprout in one's brain, so it may not be initial dosing at all, but longer term usage that causes problems.

Also: right drug meets the right brain. I used to wish I could be a social smoker but then I realized my brain would actually not ENJOY that even slightly, and I don't have the right brain chemistry, in any case.

Opiates are being pretty severely limited in the US, anyway. Somewhat more than they were. Which isn't "bad" from my perspective since they only work for short term pain, most longer term users will either become addicted and increase dose, or at least dependent on them and pain returns.

Really they should be used for short term pain, or end of life pain where it's so clear that addiction isn't going to matter anyway.... But, they simply don't work for chronic pain AT ALL and it's better to provide other pain options, quite often.

Anna

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
no nic ciggies?? I wonder how well non Alcoholic booze well sell... ;)
or maybe non flammable gasoline ;)
Nonalcoholic booze is a big thing up here in Wisconsin. My grandma was told to stop drinking so we'd feed her odouls nonalcoholic beer. She never knew the difference!!

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
N/A beer gives me a puke reaction after 2 of them. I can't count the number of times running around the house trying to find somewhere safe to puke when my G/F decided I should quit drinking.

N/A beer is horrible. It's sticky when spilled. It has more calories than a light beer, and if you put it in the freezer to cool off and forget, it explodes. And it's gotta be really cold, I mean right at 0C. It's gross. And it costs more than real beer!

I can just imagine the same thing with low nic cigs. More expensive, sticky, nasty, have to freeze them before lighting up. I'm glad I vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread