.04 ohm build, what's safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape Dr Dan

Nov 2, 2015
I'm using a Kennedy v2 clone and have Samsung 25r batteries as well as LG hg2s. I know it's not really safe to use such a low build on a single battery mech mod from what I've been told at my local vape shop, but what kind of mech should I get parallel or series? I'm looking to start doing cloud comps because I'm all about the cloud chasing but I just built this dual parallel sleeper coil build and it was so cool of a build I want to make it again and hopefully not blow up my hand lol... There's a really nice parallel box that I was looking at but I'd rather ask and be safe than just get it and light myself on fire. Or should I just spring for some better quality batteries? Or both mod and batteries? And would a dual 18650 regulated mod work for it or would it have to be a mech? I am really enjoying the experience I'm getting from my m-6 mech mod but again I'd rather be safe than sorry and my clouds just can't compete with the dual box mod guys who are in the comps here. Thank you very much for any help you can offer in advance

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
For those super low-ohm builds, you'll want a dual parallel mod (at least when talking about mechs). This is what's going to up your amperage limit and keep you at 4.2V minus drop under load when fully charged.

If you are using genuine Samsung 25Rs (2500 mAh) and LG HG2s, that's *about* as good as you're going to get with a single battery, at least in terms of what's easy to find on the market right now. Both have a 25 amp limit. Using some simple vape math, you can theoretically go as low as .17 ohms with a 25 amp battery, but this would be really really pushing it. I would not typically recommend going below .2 with that set-up, maybe a little higher.

If you want to keep using a mech then yes, a nice parallel box is the way to go for very low-ohm builds. Frankly, I would typically recommend going for a dual-18650 regulated mod just for extra safety, but if you're interested in cloud competitions then these aren't allowed. I have been enjoying my Tesla Two, which has a mosfet chip but is unregulated... it's not dual 18650 but 19500s, I think, something weird. They're built in but it's a cheap mod. If you have the money it might be worth trying out before springing for a really pricey mech. It can handle down to 0.1ohms.

Lastly, for safety's sake, if and when you get a dual parallel 18650 mech, keep a few things in mind: 1) continue using the best batteries you can afford 2) keep your batteries married, charging and discharging together and rotating slots in the mod each time, and 3) a parallel mod will not actually double your theoretical amp limit, but it will give you much more. 1.5x ish is a good number, realistically. If you use two 25A batteries you should have a safe amp limit of around 37-40A, which allows you to build down to .11... though I would still not necessarily go quite that low, personally.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Considering there are no 18650 batteries with more than a 30aCDR I don’t believe there is a safe way to vape .04Ω using a mechanical parallel or otherwise.
That’s a maximum drain of 105 amps on one battery, 52.5amps from 2.
Even taking an enormous voltage drop into consideration such as 2.8v / .04 = 70a one battery, 35a 2 batteries.

The samsung 25r & the lg hg2 are both 20 amp CDR batteries.
Lg HB6 is a very good 30a CDR battery.

I don’t know of any regulated device that will fire that low(.04Ω) maybe one of the temp control using Ni or Ti, I'm not sure.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm using a Kennedy v2 clone and have Samsung 25r batteries as well as LG hg2s. I know it's not really safe to use such a low build on a single battery mech mod from what I've been told at my local vape shop, but what kind of mech should I get parallel or series? I'm looking to start doing cloud comps because I'm all about the cloud chasing but I just built this dual parallel sleeper coil build and it was so cool of a build I want to make it again and hopefully not blow up my hand lol... There's a really nice parallel box that I was looking at but I'd rather ask and be safe than just get it and light myself on fire. Or should I just spring for some better quality batteries? Or both mod and batteries? And would a dual 18650 regulated mod work for it or would it have to be a mech? I am really enjoying the experience I'm getting from my m-6 mech mod but again I'd rather be safe than sorry and my clouds just can't compete with the dual box mod guys who are in the comps here. Thank you very much for any help you can offer in advance

Two Questions:

What do you use to Measure Ohms on the .04 Level?

Why do you want to Build So Low?

Reactions: DavidOck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread