1.6, 1.8. 2.1 ohm on tanks - what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shameless

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2015
Waterford, Mi
Hi,

I am new to vaping and am buying my first non cigalike device. (well 2nd)

I am looking at tanks and they give me a choice 1.6, 1.8. or 2.1 ohm

Can you explain what that means exactly?

I tried looking for pictures (but that got me even more confused, lol). I would really like pictures showing the difference, and maybe some explanation about the pros and cons of each?? I am a mouth to lung vapor. I have my current tank turned down to the lowest air flow setting and like it that way (I enjoy a tight draw like a cigarette). And I like warm vapor. What should I choose?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. As a side note (just because I am curious), what is sub ohming? I know the ohms need to be under 1.0, but what does it do exactly, besides give you more vapor? What would be the benefit for a mouth to lung vapor that isn't looking for big clouds? Is there any? Does it warm the vapor more? Does sub ohming mean you have to get a lot of air or can you still get a tight draw? Ok, I obviously have no idea what it is, lol!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
In the early days of vaping, and still the case with mechanical mods, full battery voltage, at whatever charge state, was applied to the coil. So the only way to adjust the quality of the vape was by changing the coil resistance. Now, with the prevalence of VV and VW mods, it's less of a concern, as you can increase or decrease the voltage applied to get the results you want (within limits).

Going with, say, the 1.8 would provide more range of adjustment for you.

I'm a MTL vaper as well, all I need to remain an ex-smoker. Sub-ohm does have the potential for massive clouds, but that's not something I'm looking for. And yes, generally does require massive air flow. (And, because you vaporize so much liquid per draw, generally also requires a much lower nic level in the liquid, and lots more of it!)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, with a VV or VW device, the coils you choose won't really matter. The different choices were more of a concern when fixed voltage egos were common. About the only difference you will see now is that the 2.1 ohm coils may give you a bit longer battery life.

Subohming is more useful on mech mods to get a satisfactory vape for longer battery duration. You also will be in subohm range if you want to use thicker wire or dual/tri/quad coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread