1.6% nicotine per ml equals howmuch perpuff?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Catslady, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Catslady

Catslady New Member

My first ecig starter kit doesnt say what the mg amount per cartridge is. How can I know how much nicotine I'm getting? Thanks.

2. Off Topic

Off Topic Ultra Member ECF Veteran

How big are your puffs?

I let my cravings dictate. If you are getting too much nicotine, you'll know it. When you are transitioning from analogs, don't worry too much about too much unless it is making you sick.

What hardware are you running?

3. markfm

markfm PIF Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    A recent study by Etter showed ecigs do work, we end up with nicotine levels similar to smokers.

As OT said, let your body tell you when to vape. Typically a full strength cig smoker will need a 24 mg/ml eliquid. Likewise a typical lights smoker would use a 16mg/ml.

For chain-vaping, like sitting at a computer, it is common to step down one level in nicotine.

4. madmach

madmach Super Member ECF Veteran

It is 16mg,s per 1mil and you need to tell us what type of kit you got

5. markfm

markfm PIF Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    You don't absorb anywhere near the full nicotine content. I'm quite confident that when I was vaping 6 ml/day of 24 mg/ml I wasn't actually absorbing 144 mg of nicotine.

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Senior Member ECF Veteran

If you can measure out 1ml of liquid, either drip it or put it in a tank (if you own one) and then count the puffs it takes to finish off the mil, then divide the amount of the nic concentrate by the number of puffs you take.

So you take ~ 200 (YMMV) puffs per mil, 16/200 = 0.05 mg per puff. However, this may or may not be the amount of nicotine that's actually being taken into your body and it is only a very rough estimate on how much nic is in each puff.

Edit: I just noticed you're using carts. I don't know how much liquid the carts you're using hold, but I'm going to guess that it's far less than 1mil of liquid. There's not enough info to try to make a guess, sorry.

7. dormouse

dormouse ECF Guru ECF Veteran

1.6% is 16mg of nicotine per ml of liquid

Nobody can tell you how many puffs 1ml is for you

And btw - however many puffs or cigarettes-worth of puffs some vendor claims are in a cartridge or cartomizer is probably huge bs.

Most people use 1.5 to 5 ml per day

8. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    What a Terrible Jumbled Mess of Units.

JSWC…

mg = Milligram which is a measure of weight.

ml = Milliliter which is a measure of Volume

% = is the Ratio (Quotient) of Two Items with the Same units Multiplied by 100

So you could express an e-Liquids Nicotine Strength as a Percentage of Nicotine to Milliliters, assuming that the Nicotine was in Liquid form, but it would be somewhat awkward.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Nicotine level of the OP’s Cartridges was 16mg/ml in that this is a common Ratio sold be Vendors. But I’m just guessing.

If it is 16mg/ml and we assume 20 Drops per Milliliter and 3 Hits per Drop then One Hit would be roughly equal to 16mg / (20 x 3) = .2667 mg/hit

No how much of this Nicotine is Actually being absorbed?

Well that has been debated Many Times. From what I read I think an absorption amount of 10%~25% seem reasonable.

9. zoiDman

Supporting member
    BTW - This comes from the Purest form of Nicotine is about 1000mg/ml

So 1.6% Nicotine in a e-Liquid Solution would be .016 x 1000mg/ml = 16mg/ml

I know that dormouse knows this. I just used her quote because it was easier than making a new post.

10. dormouse

Her quote (I am female)

BTW if your cartridge pushes onto an atomizer then it is probably about 1/2 ml (since you can't fill a cartridge totally without causing it to dump its liquid in your mouth, it may be less, especially if it's a prefill)

If your cartridge is actually not a cartridge and is a cartomizer (holds juice and screws right onto the battery) then those prefilled ones usually hold about 1ml though prefills will probably not be filled with that much.

And it does not really matter. Nicotine is absorbed differently from ecigs (they say less) but ecigs are missing the other addictive things in cigarettes. The idea is to feel satisfied and get a satisfying amount of flavor, throat hit, vapor, and not overuse it to the point where you get over-nicced symptoms of headache, rapid or irregular heartbeat, hazy ill feeling.

11. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Sorry dormouse.

I did know that. Should have had more coffee before typed that post.

12. dormouse

Haha. I actually don't know the gender of the Dormouse movie character I photoshopped so that could be confusing too.

And BTW 16mg is a nice medium/high value that I think hit-wise is comparable to lights cigarettes. That's where I started at 15-18mg. Later I worked my way lower.

Also - if you are using cartridges on an atomizer - most decent models have threadings you can find cartomizers for. Cartomizers have limited lives but provide more consistent and troublefree vaping and hold at least twice as much as most cartridges. I can get 7-10 days use out of a cartomizer by keeping it damp.

13. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

And she's engaged, waiting for the big day. Congrats :toast:

Edit: yes she's a very sweet, intelligent and classy lady who deserves the very best in life IMHO.

14. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Engaged and One Of The Most Helpful Members On The ECF.

Talk about a Cool Double Whammy.

Congratulations dormouse !!!

:)

15. dormouse

Thanks! Actually been engaged over 15 years - need to actually GET married instead of playing World of Warcraft....

16. leftfeild

leftfeild Super Member ECF Veteran

Just to add that cigarettes have around 10mg of nicotine in them but you only get around 1mg after absorption. That's why the packs say they're 1mg or so of nicotine in them, but it's really 10x the amount because you only absorb a tenth. Ecigs are the same in that you don't absorb all of the nicotine in the liquid.

How do you know how much nicotine you're getting? Listen to your body like you did when (if) you smoked. If you feel you've had too much by feeling dizzy, nausious or anything or if you still have craving for cigs you might need more nicotine.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html check this thread out if you have concerns about health while you're getting into vaping :D

17. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

ROTFLMAO actually I've been engaged for 22 years. It's a wonder you ladies don't kick us to the curb :confused:

18. Balthezar

Balthezar Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Welcome Catlady.
    You beat me to it, leftfield, I usually add that link :) Guess I'm starting to slip a bit, but this GA vapers get together has been taking a lot of my time, haven't been here much lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.