Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Thought DC2 was going to post this but don’t see anything. (Me thinks he’s getting even with me for making him start a different thread.;))

Don’t know the back story or even the ecig involved. FWIW…

Jennifer Ries of Corona was on her way to the airport in March 2013 when she plugged in her VapCigs e-cigarette charger and it spewed hot metal that ignited her dress, attorney Gregory Bentley said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...577534-67d8-11e5-bdb6-6861f4521205_story.html

Jury awarded her $1.9 million. Guess we’ll hear more in the news tomorrow.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Don’t know the back story or even the ecig involved.

http://www.vapcigs.com/VapCigs_Rechargable_eHookah_Pen_eCigarette_p/hkbp.htm

The accident happened while the battery was charging and the couple was driving to Los Angeles International Airport to catch a flight to Brazil to help the non-governmental organization Passport 2 Freedom build a community center for children in the slums of Rio de Janeiro, according to the lawsuit.

"Xavier ... grabbed his iced coffee and threw it onto Jennifer," the lawsuit says. "The iced coffee extinguished the flames, but Jennifer sustained serious second-degree burns."

http://www.pe.com/articles/battery-782058-woman-cigarette.html

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Thanks Kent. Doesn't tell me much more than before except now I'm seeing rich couple, mental scars and blister back. Yes, I definatelt feel for her but how badly was she really injured? I've also had it up the ying yang with cheap ecig makers. I also don't see a car charger in that blister pack.

Last edited:

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
Oh I see, theres two versions, one with an ecig , and one with the ehookah. To bad she didnt choose the evod. I guess they haven’t had enough time to get the facts straight, lol. I won't get into the whether she was right or wrong discussion, reminds me to much of the Mcdonalds hot coffee thing several years ago.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I don't get it...the VapCigs (as in rhymes with cap? :facepalm:) e-hookah looks like such a high quality product.

VapCigs_ehookah_Kit_zpsyhkmjr6l.png

:rolleyes:

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
I don't get it...the VapCigs (as in rhymes with cap? :facepalm:) e-hookah looks like such a high quality product.

I suppose it was bound to happen with everyone and his brother trying to make a quick buck.... looks like for this company, easy come easy go. unfortunate ALL vapes will be lumped into the same group and "DANGER!!!!" will be bandied about. In the next few years we will live in those blister packs to avoid any injury............

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Hey, I started with a similar blister pack and had no issues. How much do you want to bet that she wasn't using the charger from the pack, and wasn't using an adapter rated for what the charger can handle? The worst thing about the cheap ecigs is, their charging cables are usb, and usb chargers are ubiquitous but not all the same.

Of course a jury can award money however they see fit, and what will likely result from this is a large warning on the package to only use the supplied charger, or something like that.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
$1.9 million
That's actually not a huge amount for a personal injury case.

Also, this is a prime example of the fact that the vaping market is NOT completely unregulated. Consumer protections are there, they just work a little backwards in America.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    How on earth did she have it on her lap with such a short corded charger?

Why would she have it on her lap if she wasn't using it?

I know now. She had maybe one of these ( shorter, more compact- but Wrong output)

charger.jpg
    Plugged in to something you naturally have in your lap-
    laptop.jpg

Wrong charger plugged into a non-charging laptop? Even the right charger? Or, a tablet?

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    I see they didn't bring the children into it until after the trial. No surprise there. Something smells wrong with this whole thing. Did find an interview with them.
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/30/jury-awards-1-9m-to-woman-burned-by-e-cigarette/
    Wait and see how the appeal works out for them. Thanks everybody. :)

Steamix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Well, been googling... listings about this one lawsuit is led and followed by law firms advertising their 'class action suits' against e-cig makers/vendors, spouting exactly the same nonsense that's been debunked ages ago. Well, anything to lure some patsies that can be paraded in front of a jury.

Is probablythe best evidence that vaping has arrived and i going strong. Lawyers aren't known for altruism, but rather for fleecing pockets that have some in it for fleecing :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread