10 tips to avoid harsh, burnt taste on 510 atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick76

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Salinas, CA
I love my 510 for the most part, thanks for this wonderful tips as I will incorporate them. However, I have to top off a LOT as well as change my batteries 3-4 times per day. Is there a comparative brand that gives good throat hits with longer battery life?? Thanks in advance for you time.

Try the 510 Mega batts at TW, get the 5packs check for the sale so you can get better price, you will love it, and u should get the mega charger too . I own the 5 mega one for a month now and i love it, i had 6 regular 510's batt, 2 used for mods and 4 are in my drawer now. I used to go thru 6-7 reg batts during the day and PT at home , now i only need 3 mega batts during the day with much better TH.
Nick

big_sizzla

Sep 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
lol prof daffy you make me laugh.

I have been looking on several threads and the general consensus is that cola works pretty well. Ive had my atty for about 2 weeks now and have noticed that it overheats quite quickly, after 2 or 3 drags... and when i say over heat, i mean it can get so hot it may very well burn my lips.
As a result, my e-juice burns up a lot faster than it should, i find myself dripping every 7 or 8 drags..... quite odd...

Thing is there is no visible gunk on the atomizer... but I still think that a nice cleaning will stop this from happening.

Also, when you guys give cola baths... do you submerge your atty COMPLETELY in the cola? like pour out a few mL of it into a shot glass and just plop it on in?? I just want to make sure before i do this.

Dominocracy

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
United States
lol prof daffy you make me laugh.

I have been looking on several threads and the general consensus is that cola works pretty well. Ive had my atty for about 2 weeks now and have noticed that it overheats quite quickly, after 2 or 3 drags... and when i say over heat, i mean it can get so hot it may very well burn my lips.
As a result, my e-juice burns up a lot faster than it should, i find myself dripping every 7 or 8 drags..... quite odd...

Thing is there is no visible gunk on the atomizer... but I still think that a nice cleaning will stop this from happening.

Also, when you guys give cola baths... do you submerge your atty COMPLETELY in the cola? like pour out a few mL of it into a shot glass and just plop it on in?? I just want to make sure before i do this.
I just tried cleaning with Coke for the first time today, and it made a huge difference. All three of my atties were really clogged up, very little vape and a draw so hard that my cheeks were turning purple. I'm not sure how anyone else does it, but I completely submerged my atomizers in Coke (you don't need the whole can obviously, just enough so that they're covered completely) for about 4-5 hours, removed them, swished them in water to make sure all the Coke was gone, then gave them a good round of 5 second dry burns. Now they all work like champs. Easy hit, and massive vapor like they were new again.

Hope this helps.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Can't even tell you how many times I've gotten #1 wrong. :cool:
Especially on nights spent drinking...

The trick is to get the cigarettes with the brown filters. In the dark the white ones look the same either way. When I used to smoke in the dark watch TV I'd light the filter all the time. Choice words were exclaimed.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Even now I use a white atomizer on a black e-cig for that very reason. Okay and because it reminds me of the white band around Daffy's neck. And, yes, I laugh at my co-worker when she sucks on the LED end!

3215d1248619514-cant-stand-any-longer-gotta-ask-daffy510.jpg

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
I just tried cleaning with Coke for the first time today, and it made a huge difference. All three of my atties were really clogged up, very little vape and a draw so hard that my cheeks were turning purple. I'm not sure how anyone else does it, but I completely submerged my atomizers in Coke (you don't need the whole can obviously, just enough so that they're covered completely) for about 4-5 hours, removed them, swished them in water to make sure all the Coke was gone, then gave them a good round of 5 second dry burns. Now they all work like champs. Easy hit, and massive vapor like they were new again.

Hope this helps.

Remember old juice drys up. Air ports get clogged. All juice should be water soluble. Gotta break it up. So you have to soak. Longer you soak the looser the stuff gets. I use a measuring cup the size of a shot glass. Nuke it for 20 seconds, drop 'em in. How long? A hour. Overnight. I usually include a hot water soak to rinse out (like 30 minutes). Then roll paper towel into a tub, stuff it into the opening, and let it dry overnight. Prime and ready to go the next morning.

Water works to dissolve. Coke works because of the acidity to break up carbon build up. I currently use lemon juice (more acidic). I soak at least once a week. Every other night I run the atomizer under hot water from the tap for 1-2 minutes and let it dry overnight. It's easier to keep an atomizer in top form rather than trying to fix it later.

Good common sense really, nothing radical. But when your atomizer is vaping on day 30 almost as good as day 1 you'll appreciate it.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. I'd rather let it dry overnight rather than chance a bunch of dry burns. Of course, the more back up atomizers you have the braver you can be.

Hunter3783

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for all of the suggestions about maintaining the performance of atomizers. I'm new to vaping and have learned so much from your posts.

Hopefully these methods will work for me, too, and save me the money and trouble of replacing atomizers.

As with just about everything in life, it's all about being proactive.:)

The trick is to get the cigarettes with the brown filters. In the dark the white ones look the same either way. When I used to smoke in the dark watch TV I'd light the filter all the time. Choice words were exclaimed.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Even now I use a white atomizer on a black e-cig for that very reason. Okay and because it reminds me of the white band around Daffy's neck. And, yes, I laugh at my co-worker when she sucks on the LED end!

3215d1248619514-cant-stand-any-longer-gotta-ask-daffy510.jpg

I used to smoke cloves, Djarum Blacks and talk about a nasty taste when you light the filter on accident. >.< Sugar filters were great as long as you were able to not SNAFU them.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
What's even worse is when you go to light you last analog in the pack thinking you have plenty of time to get to the store and light the filter rendering it useless.

That used to start a cussing streak.

Oh how I miss it.

Break off filter, re-light!

Another trick on the 510 (and some others) is venting the cart. Search my posts, I just listed this a few minutes ago. Works much better than the straw in my opinion.

Martin2277

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Doubledot

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Great post. Important info all in one!

Also posted somewhere in this forum as an alterative easy cleaning method which is using Crest Pro Health mouthwash for 15 mins and rinsing plus soaking in water overnight. I clean my atty every 2-3 days.

My twist to this method is soaking in PGA (prue grain alcohol) instead of water. I keep a bottle with PGA that I re-use for this purpose only. It completely removes the mouthwash taste from the attys. I have been using this method for over a month now and have not lost an atty yet. I vape about 3 ml a day.

Hope this helps.

adkinad

Jan 2, 2010
NE
10 tips to avoid harsh, burnt taste on 510 atomizers

(Or, "What I've learned so far on ECF...")

These tips may work on other atomizers, as well.

1. Blow out the primer fluid on new attys

2. Two drops of liquid on the new atty, "puff & blow" until the atty takes on the flavor of the liquid

3. Don't drag too long to overheat the juice on the atty

4. Don't use too fast between draws to allow the atty to wick up more juice & cool down

5. Modify the filler (PTB or straw method) to optimize wicking and not have to top off or refill as much

6. Occasionally remove the filler and rinse it out, dry & refill

7. Certain flavors can handle a long, slow draw (tobacco, menthol, coffee, nut flavors) and certain ones taste better with a quick, deep draw (fruity, delicate, sweet flavors.)

8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!

9. Don't flood the atty or it may overwork it trying to vaporize the excess liquid.

10. Try different liquids & nic levels. Not all liquids are created equal. If you aren't satified with the vapor/throat hit, you may be overusing it and not allowing time for the the atty to wick & cool.

Feel free to add more tips and comments or elaborate on cleaning methods here! :D
How long does this chemical taste stay around for. I'm new to vaping and just bought my first e-cig package. I've read a lot of the forums on this and used the tips but still have that taste. I've blown the atty out, reprimed (twice), dry burned without the cartridge, and now have been "puffing and blowing" for over 25 puffs with the cartridge and still have that chemical taste. (awesome vapor production though!)
I'm really getting turned off by this taste.

Would soaking the atty overnight in a cleaning agent with peroxide, water, or coke take the taste of the primer away? (if so can I do this with all the new attys after blowing the primer out?)

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!!! I'm about ready to send this thing back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread