Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
How long does this chemical taste stay around for. I'm new to vaping and just bought my first e-cig package. I've read a lot of the forums on this and used the tips but still have that taste. I've blown the atty out, reprimed (twice), dry burned without the cartridge, and now have been "puffing and blowing" for over 25 puffs with the cartridge and still have that chemical taste. (awesome vapor production though!)
I'm really getting turned off by this taste.

Would soaking the atty overnight in a cleaning agent with peroxide, water, or coke take the taste of the primer away? (if so can I do this with all the new attys after blowing the primer out?)

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!!! I'm about ready to send this thing back!!
You could also try Polident tablets.

What liquid brand & flavor are you using? What cart filler are you using?

adkinad

Jan 2, 2010
NE
I'm using ECOpure, Gold flavor by intellicig. It's the 20 mg. I think that might be the taste that I'm not fond of. I don't like it. The filler is the whatever came with my e cig. I bought it from innovapor. I think I need to try a different flavor but don't know which ones to try if they taste like this.

I would like to get the closest to the flavoring of a Marlboro Light 100 if possible and still not sure which vendor to use because everyone says that there is a big difference in the flavor of the juice from one vendor to the next?

VictorySpeedway

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Northern New Jersey, USA
I'm new at this, too. I let my atomizers go for a long time before cleaning them. Actually, I wasn't sure HOW to clean them, but they were getting gross-tasting, so I knew I had to do something. I did some reading on these boards, and decided that hot water would do the trick.

It did; just some very hot (not boiling) water in a glass, swirl it around a bit, blow out the atomizers, stand on end (threads down) and let 'em dry overnight.

Voila!

Also, I cleaned the stuffing with warm water.

Additionally, I made some new stuffing with polyfil. It's a bit too dense, but I'm switching over to the tea bag thingies as soon as they arrive.

vaping is far more labor intensive than smoking, but well worth the time and effort.

Enjoy!

wings2befree

Jan 13, 2010
Arizona
Can you explain #5?, I don't know what a PTB or straw method is.

Thanks,

(Or, "What I've learned so far on ECF...")

These tips may work on other atomizers, as well.

1. Blow out the primer fluid on new attys

2. Two drops of liquid on the new atty, "puff & blow" until the atty takes on the flavor of the liquid

3. Don't drag too long to overheat the juice on the atty

4. Don't use too fast between draws to allow the atty to wick up more juice & cool down

5. Modify the filler (PTB or straw method) to optimize wicking and not have to top off or refill as much

6. Occasionally remove the filler and rinse it out, dry & refill

7. Certain flavors can handle a long, slow draw (tobacco, menthol, coffee, nut flavors) and certain ones taste better with a quick, deep draw (fruity, delicate, sweet flavors.)

8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!

9. Don't flood the atty or it may overwork it trying to vaporize the excess liquid.

10. Try different liquids & nic levels. Not all liquids are created equal. If you aren't satified with the vapor/throat hit, you may be overusing it and not allowing time for the the atty to wick & cool.

Feel free to add more tips and comments or elaborate on cleaning methods here! :D[/QUOTE]

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I discovered something today that's worthy of note here. Obviously, burnt tastes originate in the atty, but once that happens, the burnt taste get trapped in the cart for a surprising amount of time. And I'm not talking about in the cart's filler/wicking material - it gets trapped in the air passages.

You would think that the taste would simply clear from the cart after a few puffs, or after a few blows with the cart removed, but it doesn't. Removal of both liquid traps in the mouth-piece is necessary. Only then, with a few blows or puffs, and some paper-towel or Qtip action, will you get rid of the burnt taste trapped in the cart.

Try this: Next time you get the burnt taste, remove the cart, drip directly in the atty, and take a few puffs straight from the atty without the cart. The burnt taste actually clears from the atty rather quickly, unless of course your atty is really gunked up and on it's last legs. Now, with the cart still disconnected, just take a few drags of air through it. You might just find that THAT'S where the burnt taste is now hiding! If so, use a paper-clip or similar to pull out both liquid traps in the mouth-piece. Without removing them, that nasty flavor will linger in the cart for a very loooong time.

Huffin & Puffin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
South Shore Massachusetts
Now, with the cart still disconnected, just take a few drags of air through it. You might just find that THAT'S where the burnt taste is now hiding! If so, use a paper-clip or similar to pull out both liquid traps in the mouth-piece. Without removing them, that nasty flavor will linger in the cart for a very loooong time.

New atty and juice still tasted like poo.

You hit the nail right on the head.

The gack taste was gone after removing the cap and giving a quick rinse with Crest Pro Whitening followd with warm water.

It only took 2 minutes.

Great discovery... Thanks!

critterbug

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2009
Herein, VA
thanks for the tips!

I just ordered a 901 atty and some carts to use with my kr8 batts. I am worried about the nasty primer taste people say they get at first. How to avoid that... Also I wonder if I can rinse it and switch to a new flavor pretty easily. Then I've heard some say they drip directly on the atty and the cart and others say direct atty dripping floods the atty. I'm confused...

Last edited:

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
Extremely helpful stuff for noobish folks like myself. Thanks!
I found that one of my 510 attys was a little funky, once I gave it a hot water bath and dried it out, it fired up like a champ (and priming it with a few drops of the liquid helped too).
I do find that I am refilling my carts all the time, but it could be that I'm using VG liquid, and could probably stand with some practice with the tea bag filler mod.
Definitely not discouraged, and happy that I got a 510 atty that does not seem to suffer from the stinky chemical smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread