10 tips to avoid harsh, burnt taste on 510 atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctoru

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
I actually have a really good suggestion. I know I'm new, but I do my research.

I've found out that removing the wick inside the atomizer will drastically reduce the burning flavor you get sometimes. There are videos online how to remove the wick and it's super easy and requires only a toothpick. Sometimes, the wick next the coil will dry or move out of place and get "burned by the metal heating coil". I took the wick out of my 1st 510 to find that it was dislodged from the bridge and resting on the coil. You can imagine the burnt look it took on, haha. I drip, so sometimes when I realize I'm running low on juice and need to drip again is when the wick is "dry" and will start to burn.

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Now, I know when I need to drip again solely on the fact that I'm not getting as vapor instead of getting a hot burned throat hit.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
I actually have a really good suggestion. I know I'm new, but I do my research.

I've found out that removing the wick inside the atomizer will drastically reduce the burning flavor you get sometimes. There are videos online how to remove the wick and it's super easy and requires only a toothpick. Sometimes, the wick next the coil will dry or move out of place and get "burned by the metal heating coil". I took the wick out of my 1st 510 to find that it was dislodged from the bridge and resting on the coil. You can imagine the burnt look it took on, haha. I drip, so sometimes when I realize I'm running low on juice and need to drip again is when the wick is "dry" and will start to burn.

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Now, I know when I need to drip again solely on the fact that I'm not getting as vapor instead of getting a hot burned throat hit.

That's the basis of my blog post I linked to earlier. You are spot on! Removing the wick certainly does help in most of those situations.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Removing the wick doesn't always work and when it does, it really only works if you exclusively drip. I've removed wicks before and it's just killed the atty altogether - so don't try this on new attys! It's supposed to be good if you drip, though.

While you are absolutely correct in the respect that it does transform the atty into a "dripping only" atty, it sure does beat having that disgusting burnt flavor every time you use the thing! Since the alternative is to throw the atty away, I think this is a pretty good solution to extend the life of it :)

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
While you are absolutely correct in the respect that it does transform the atty into a "dripping only" atty, it sure does beat having that disgusting burnt flavor every time you use the thing! Since the alternative is to throw the atty away, I think this is a pretty good solution to extend the life of it :)

I must be doing something wrong. The only time I get that burnt taste is when I choose to vape a dry atty. That's why I keep going back to my Fluval method...it wicks the e-juice to the atty and the fall-off in vapor/flavor is the indication to re-fill with juice. (3) 510 mega atty/cart combinations freshly filled will easily last me for 5+ hours of vaping...using TWDV juices.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I must be doing something wrong. The only time I get that burnt taste is when I choose to vape a dry atty. That's why I keep going back to my Fluval method...it wicks the e-juice to the atty and the fall-off in vapor/flavor is the indication to re-fill with juice. (3) 510 mega atty/cart combinations freshly filled will easily last me for 5+ hours of vaping...using TWDV juices.
Same here, SuZamme. I only get the burnt taste very rarely - if I vape it WAY too dry. I use the PTB Made Easy cart mod (have for over a year now) and the cart takes 10-12 thick drops. I haven't dealt with burnt atty taste for a long time now - I just make sure to refill when it starts to taste dry, not wait until it tastes burnt.

Dripping, IMO is no easier for me than having a well-prepped cart. My husband drips only and I watch him constantly picking up his refill bottle to drip, when I only have to refill every 1/2 hour or so - and I vape a LOT more than he does! (Yes, I did use a drip tip for a while - it wasn't for me and I went back to a modified cart.)Plus with driving, dripping is a pain and dangerous. I also prefer the more mellow taste from a cart, so it's all personal. There is no perfect cart/tip that is perfect for everyone, just as there is no one perfect flavor for everyone.

That's why I recommend that if you are going to pull the wick, be prepared to drip only. So, you may want to try it on an older atty.

GeekyGirl36

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2011
USA
You all have been a great help! I have three new atty's, all different ohms and since I don't want to get them mixed up since I am trying to find my perfect vape. I am trying to use my first one, but I have not been able to get it clean through the warm/hot tap water rinse and microwaved water soak. I have positive thoughts that the methods here, dish soap and Coca-Cola methods will help; if not I have my mouth wash and if all else fails, I'll try the lemon juice. :D

Oh, the fun we have vaping. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread