100 % unbleached cotton fabric for a wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Oakley, Ca.
Seen a you tube video where a piece of 100% unbleached cotton fabric was used in a bulldog rba. He also used 325 ss mesh in the small sections in between posts and wrapped canthol wire around the mesh and the cotton fabric as a wick. I picked up some cheap unbleached cotton fabric from Wallyworld and was wondering if used without the ss mesh will the cotton burn. Would rather not learn from my mistake.

DizGrizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Near Austin, TX
Short answer...yes. Long answer, yes, if it gets dry. Cotton is, of course, flammable and if you let the coil get hot (glow), it will burn it ASAP. That's probably why the person on the vid went with the mesh / cotton hybrid wick...to reduce the chances of a flare-up. Even so, if the cotton was on the outside, a dry burn would likely toast it.

-Mimi-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
here, there and everywhere
I have read several posts where people are using cotton yarn as their wicking. Just do a search of cotton yarn wick and you can read all the posts about it. Make sure the cotton yarn is white, unbleached 100% cotton (peaches n cream at walmart). Acrylic yarn is flammable and melts extremely easy. Cotton yarn not so much - think about the cotton kitchen towels, oven mitts, dish cloths etc. Bamboo yarn would also make good wicking but it is a little more expensive. A 40% off coupon to local craft stores like JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc would be the cheapest way to go for bamboo and one skein would last a longggg time.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
100% cotton CAN and IS being used as wicks - MyWikkaSite: Cotton Wick Wiki. I prefer the "Rolled Cotton". There is also 100% bamboo crochet thread that many like. Of course you can't dry burn to clean the wick; but, just remove the old wick, dry burn to clean the coil and thread a new wick through the coil. Easy peasy :D

As long as the wick is wetted with juice, there is no burning of the cotton. My rolled cotton wicks, wick a lot better than silica wicks; especially in top coil atties/tanks like the Vivi Nova, CE#. People have even used cotton wicks in genesis-style atties.

Last edited:

jazzbo

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, Fl
Been using the Ecru Peaches and Creme medium yarn (100% unbleached natural cotton) as wicks in T3s and RBAs for awhile now. Will it burn? If you're dumb enough to let it get totally dry, yes. In normal use, I have had no issues whatsoever. Wicks far better than silica, no issues with getting silica particles into the lungs and delivers a very clean taste. I coil right over the yarn w/o ss mesh.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I am really impressed using cotton in the Vamo. I wrap my coils 3.5+ ohms, set the VW to 6 and watch out. It was like cotton was made for high resistance coils and VW mods. The vape is so good that I am reconsidering my attempts to try mesh. Who needs SS when cotton works just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread