100% VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Depends on atty and preference. I like about 7% DW. If adding 5% DW it's gonna be comparable roughly in consistency to 80/20 VG/PG. Too little can make wicking an issue on tanks without big juice-channels/holes and too much will thin out the produced vapor, make popping and after-sizzling noises and possibly flood also. There's a sweetspot to be found which helps both wicking and aids in better vaporization/vapor, but experimentation is needed and is atty-dependent also.

If your atty can wick 100% VG and you like it, then you don't need water.

I also like adding water for the taste, as it, in addition to nic, tones down some of the VG's sweetness.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
My vanilla pods have been soaking in vg for 47 days so far!
I wanted to try my own liquid and even though it will be plain i thought id see what it is like before doing tobacco, coffee...

Because the juice is 100% vg, is it recommended to use distilled water in the mix?
Maybe an 80/20?

I think you could try a sample now. But I would leave it for at least another 30 days to soak. Just my two internet cents :2c:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Based on what I've read on the tobacco extraction thread, 6-7 weeks doesn't seem near long enough for a cold extraction. That aside, even after it is fully extracted (however long it takes) and mixed (into whatever), it will still need to steep for several weeks.

Shortly after starting DIY I did some work for a local extraction company and they gave me a bottle of very good, very strong bourbon vanilla. I added a little to one of my mixes and......couldn't taste it. So, I added more, and more, and more. I think I ruined 4 or 5 factory PT coils before I finally gave up.

Quite some time later I read that vanilla requires a long steep time so I tried again, and waited, and tasted every week or so. At about 3 week I *started* to taste it. At about 5-6 weeks it was fully developed and very good. More of a subtle background flavor than an in your face artificial vanilla. I like the in you face vanilla too. The real is just different.

Unfortunately, I used most of that 300ml bottle for cooking before I decided to try it again in DIY. I only have about 30ml left, and that company no longer makes vanilla. :(

I currently have 2 different NET's steeping, that contain this vanilla, and am looking forward to vaping them......in a few more weeks. ;)

Reactions: Zutankhamun

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I wanted to try my own liquid and even though it will be plain i thought id see what it is like before doing tobacco, coffee...

Because the juice is 100% vg, is it recommended to use distilled water in the mix?
Maybe an 80/20?

Cold extraction in VG is a very long process usually taking 4 - 6 months. I don't think you've given it near enough time. You may want to try a hot alcohol extraction. Read the below tread it describes the process. It's based on tobacco extraction but the procedure is the same for any medium you want to extract. Further steeping of 2 - 3 weeks for the already extracted vanilla may be needed. But the actual extraction process takes only 2-3 days.

Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

I do it all the time with tobacco and have had great success with the process. My extracts are vapable right after extraction but they do improve with time.

Last edited:

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016

Maybe an 80/20?
Just curious, when you make homemade vanilla extract, you cut the beans lengthwise. Did you cut yours or put them in whole?

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Just curious, when you make homemade vanilla extract, you cut the beans lengthwise. Did you cut yours or put them in whole?

Hi. I cut mine length wise so all the seeds and pods will come out.
I messed up the measurement i think though.
I did 4 pods cut lengthwise and 400 ml of VG. Still going im at just over 6 weeks. Dont look ready at all.
Ill post you a pic later

Reactions: aikanae1

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
@aikanae1
Lol for keeping in touch.
No, that one was far too weak so then I tried using 20 pods in less vg. It came out like this; after 24 hours in a crock pot thanks to @dannyv45 suggestions.
IMG_0313.JPG

Fantastic but as you can see, I hadn't filtered it.
It became so weak again. I thought my nicotine was fine but all I could taste was a weird, peppery, ashtray-y taste. At the price of high end vanilla, I'd have to buy so much to make it strong enough to vape. With a normal concentrate, the nicotine is tasteless and fine :?:
It's a shame but I've had to put that idea on hold :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread