14g Wire Runs (hard vs strand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Planning a squonker box and I posted this question in the BF sub-forum.
I want to make my positive and negative wiring super clean and with the least amount of resistance while being safe. I've been seeing what I call "hard lines" going to the fire button, mosfet, or regulated chip. Are there any tutorials on how to do this and what the official term is called? Pics for reference.

Also where do you guys source your positive and negative contacts? I don't really like the keystone battery sleds or battery sleds in general as they take up a lot of room. I keep trying to find silver contacts but I can't seem to find any.

Edit** Did some searching and found these 2 types of 14g wiring, is this overkill? I really wanna do some fancy wire runs

Wire, sterling silver, half-hard, half-round
Wire, sterling silver, half-hard, half-round, 14 gauge. Sold per pkg of 5 feet. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Wire, sterling silver, full-hard, half-round, 14 gauge
Wire, sterling silver, full-hard, half-round, 14 gauge. Sold per pkg of 5 feet. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Attached Files:

Attachments

• hardlines.jpg
    hardlines.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 59
  • item917610_600px.jpg
    item917610_600px.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 52

K3nn0Q

Aug 2, 2014
Columbus, OH, USA
The term would be "solid" wire (as opposed to stranded)
For any given gauge, the current capacity is the same for stranded vs solid wire. Solid is going to be much stiffer, but have a slightly smaller cross section (stranded has air gaps between strands).
16-14AWG is what most modders use; depends on bow much max current you intend to use.
Silver wire is overkill, since the cost generally outweighs the conductivity advantage vs copper

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I don't build a lot of mods, but have used solid copper "Romex" house wire, which is commonly available at most hardware and home improvement stores in 14ga. It seems to work fine in my mosfet boxes.

As far as contacts - I use 3d printed sleds from ebay, which come with the contacts. I don't think they are silver, but work very well with the printed sleds.

Reactions: camerajunkie

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
All the 3D printed sleds I've seen use Keystone contacts (or a clone of). They're stainless, plated with nickel to ease soldering and resist corrosion
Thanks for the info, I'm trying to plan out an artisinal mod, and have been looking into 14g fine silver solid wire now 99.99% silver vs sterling silver. The stuff I'm seeing seems to be extremely malleable. Which is to my point of how malleable is too malleable for a solid wire run.

Do you folks know if there are any tutorials on actually planning and implementing a solid wire run? I just see people having it in there, but no actual tutorial on how to do it. I'm planning on making a dna 75 squonker.

Pics for reference of what I'm trying to do

Attachments

• sva_penguinBlue.jpg
    sva_penguinBlue.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 40
  • item917610_600px.jpg
    item917610_600px.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 36

K3nn0Q

Aug 2, 2014
Columbus, OH, USA
I've not seen a tutorial for it, personally
Best advice I can give is plan it all the wire runs beforehand, straighten the wire as well as possible and use a mandrel to make your bends, and above all take your time!
I've found the more you can solder outside the box, the easier it is - more angles to access with an iron
This is a box I've done - 2S unregulated in a CNC 1590G, using a Keystone sled
While I used silicone jacket stranded wire, much of the planning is the same. The major difference is, if you use a spring 510, you'll need to remember to allow for the wire to flex with the center pin

1590G full.jpg

Reactions: david4500
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread