• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

18350 batteries (protected/unprotected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Most of my mods take the 18650 battery and each time I had to figure out in advance whether to purchase 'protected' or 'unprotected.' The Mods with a digital control panel I was advised on buying unprotected. As getting protected batteries would screw up the already cut-off point built into the Mod.

The new mod I've ordered takes a choice of an 18650 (which I have many of both protected and unprotected) and the smaller 18350 battery.

In the Astro mod I ordered, it does not have an automatic cut off point built into it as it contains no circuitry. So, my question is, should I be using protected or unprotected batteries in it?

Also, the 3 18350 batteries I already have don't indicate if they are protected or not. I assume they are protected as they go dead even while registering Volts inside.

However, the power and run time of them are not that great. Two of them are 3.7 Volts 900 mah . They suck. And the other I bought on G-market "AtaFire" and it's 3.7 Volts 1200 mAh. That was the highest mAh I could find. Though I'm no expert when it comes to finding batteries locally.

Do higher mAh 18350 batteries exist here in Korea aside from a mere 1200? Or possibly just a better brand of battery? If so, could one be so kind as to lead me in the right direction (Waddle ;)).? I don't wanna order from abroad as time is of the essence.

Thank you my good friend(s),

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Okay...where to begin...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected-icr.html

Read carefully where it talks about batteries with "fire" in them.

I mostly use the Samsung INR18650 25r...since Sony are damn near impossible to find. They are also one of the most counterfeited battery along with the AW.

The only place I know of that sells batteries in Korea and you can email them is Cigwell...mind you they are expensive.

http://www.cigwell.com/

I don't buy my batteries in Korea, but these folks will correspond in English through email. They will ship fast.

I would recommend the Purple Efests 18350. The AW would be better but they are double the price. Batterries are ridiculously expensive in Korea.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Okay...where to begin...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected-icr.html

Read carefully where it talks about batteries with "fire" in them.

I mostly use the Samsung INR18650 25r...since Sony are dam near impossible to find. They are also one of the most counterfeited battery along with the AW.

The only place I know of that sells batteries in Korea and you can email them is Cigwell...mind you they are expensive.

ÀüÀÚ´ã¹è ¼îÇθô <½Ã±×À£>

I don't buy my batteries in Korea, but these folks will correspond in English through email. They will ship fast.

Yeah, I've used Cig-Well before too. Most of the stuff seems to be made in China - especially the batteries if I'm not mistaken.

Also use Cig-Mall, which I find to be even better:

http://cigamall.com/?is_pcver=T

Though I've bought some from G-Market before. Have you? They seem to have a large selection, though possibly not the powerful ones you're after.

Thanks for your help, again.

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
They don't sell high drain IMR batteries on Gmarket. I've only seen the Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh 10A. All their batteries I've found are ICR. Don't use ICR batteries.

I would also buy 18490 or 18500 batteries now. A little bit bigger, but 18350 just dont have much life. And therefore you need to carry a pocket full of batteries around with you.

Yeah..AW and Efests are rewrapped. Samsung and LG are obviously from Korea. Sonys? Well last I heard that the VTC4/VTC5s were not from Sony, but partners in the Philippines since the meltdown in Japan.

Personally I only use Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh 20A or LG18650HE2 2500mah 20A.

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Yeah, I've used Cig-Well before too. Most of the stuff seems to be made in China - especially the batteries if I'm not mistaken.

Also use Cig-Mall, which I find to be even better:

¡Ú ¼îÇθô¿¡ ¿À½Å°É ȯ¿µÇÕ´Ï´Ù ¡Ú

Though I've bought some from G-Market before. Have you? They seem to have a large selection, though possibly not the powerful ones you're after.

Thanks for your help, again.

Looks like the same batteries and prices as Cig-well. Like I said, if you must, go with the Efest purples.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
They don't sell high drain IMR batteries on Gmarket. I've only seen the Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh 10A. All their batteries I've found are ICR. Don't use ICR batteries.

That's news to me. All the manuals I've received and the FastTech recommendation specify using either a protected or unprotected ICR.

But after reading the link you sent me and what you said, it looks as if I'm gonna be throwing out 6 batteries.

Such misinformation is floating around out there.

Thus, in other words, if I'm not mistaken, the batteries which we should be using are the unprotected IMR's. In both simple (tube only) mechanical and digitalized mods. Correct?

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Incidently, I bought the Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh 10A on G-market. On a site note, that battery is a few mm longer than other 1850's and does NOT fit in my VTR and just barely makes it into the others. Even when I adjust the top cap battery. Though it fits in the simple tube Mod just fine. Should I chuck that out for safety reasons?

Most of my others were from G-market too, and they are the green colored "atatafire XSL18650 2600mAh 3.7V Lithium-ion Unprotected" batteries.

The other is a "Samsung SDI 18650 3.7V 3000mAh Protected Lithium-Ion" battery which I was advised to use on my simple tube Mod. Chuck that out too?

Holy cow...Is it that comon for them to explode? Or just when abused, cracked, and thrown around? I wish I didn't have to do this....aaaaaiiiigo!

The charger I use is excellent. It's the Intellicharger i2 made by Nitecore. And not a copy of one either!

ㅠㅠㅠ

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
The Panasonic should be okay. I've bought them before on Gmarket and they are authentic. I'm assuming we bought them from the same vendor, as I've only seen one vendor selling them. Nor is it a popular enough battery to counterfeit.

I'm afraid the rest I would dispose. Anything with "fire" in the name is self-explanatory :) It's just not worth the risk to life and limbs.

I only use batteries on the list. There are few new names out there but I haven't tried them yet. I don't particulary like the Efests but will use them in a shake. Efests don't make their own batteries, they just buy and re-wrap. There has been some misleading, if not outright dangeous, labelling.

Like I said before,( although I have a few AW,Sony,Panasonics, Efests) I mainly use Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh 20A or LG18650HE2 2500mah 20A.

Your charger is good..I have two of the same.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Looks like the same batteries and prices as Cig-well. Like I said, if you must, go with the Efest purples.

The Panasonic should be okay. I've bought them before on Gmarket and they are authentic. I'm assuming we bought them from the same vendor, as I've only seen one vendor selling them. Nor is it a popular enough battery to counterfeit.

I'm afraid the rest I would dispose. Anything with "fire" in the name is self-explanatory :) It's just not worth the risk to life and limbs.

I only use batteries on the list. There are few new names out there but I haven't tried them yet. I don't particulary like the Efests but will use them in a shake. Efests don't make their own batteries, they just buy and re-wrap. There has been some misleading, if not outright dangeous, labelling.

Like I said before,( although I have a few AW,Sony,Panasonics, Efests) I mainly use Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh 20A or LG18650HE2 2500mah 20A.

Your charger is good..I have two of the same.

Very well then. Thanks for your concern and warnings to me. You may have saved my life, or at least my nose.

I've read you buy your batteries in bulk (10 at a time). Do you have any extra you wanna sell? I'll gladly PayPal you the money and pay the delivery fee. I highly doubt we'd be breaking any forum rules for getting rid of a few batteries for some minor cash. It's not as if you're in the battery selling business or actively seeking out customers. Lol

PM me if you're into that. If anything, you're doing a fellow member a "safety favour".

Cheers and again thanks a million for all your time and effort with me.

Next time you're in Daejeon, dinner and such is on me. Batteries or not. Promise.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Sorry no new batteries left. Otherwise i would say okay. With my Sigelei I have to marry them in pairs.

Its too bad that it takes so long to get here from HK. Can't just ship them via DHL. I'm always thinking months ahead on when I might need batteries. That reminds me, maybe its time to order from fastTech since it can take 2 months to get here. :)

The ebay guys I told you about are pretty sharp. They might be able to EMS them to you. I don't know. Never asked. There are some carriers who will take batteries out of the USA or Europe. Sorry can't remember specifically. But I do remember having this conversation with someone before.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
OK, I'm taking a risk by posting this, but I'm curious about it, so please don't jump all over me and say "Are you nuts? Haven't you read the thread or any of the posts?"

There's a lot of talk about the dangers of the traditional Li-ion battery and how dangerous they can be - especially in E-Cigarettes.

Well, from what I've read (and quite a lot, BTW) many of the new generation of "vapours" are going after sub-ohm builds or mods with 100W capacity.

Don't you think if someone sticks within the range of the batteries performance (according to Ohms Law & such), rarely goes over 10 Volts or 20 watts, with coils that are 1.5 Ohms or higher, the likelihood of a Li-ion battery explosion due to heat is almost non-existent. Keep in mind, the battery is brand name, well looked after, no external scratches exposing the casing, etc.

Regardless, I went ahead and ordered the "safe" batteries (forget the abbreviation) but in afterthought was thinking was it really necessary considering my low Watt, low Volts, and high Ohms vaping lifestyle.

Am I in outerspace, or do I have a valid point?

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Yup your right..valid points.

But the problem is what causes most batteries to vent? Most instances of batteries venting are when it comes off the charger (over charged) or when its over discharged (i.e. shorted). The result can be a vent of hot gas with a safe chemistry battery vs. a fire/explosion with an unsafe battery.

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
In mechanical mods, if your worried about shorts, then you can use a kick or a vape fuse. In a regulated mod there are built-in safety measures.

But there is no better way to ensure battery safety then to test your coils with a mulitmeter and have a healthy understanding of Ohm's law. With of course the right amp batteries for the job.

Its rare that batteries vent, but it does happen. I can't recall anyone ever being killed or starting a major fire. Other than the idiot this year at Vape Blast in Texas it's a rare occurence of battery venting in public

Vape Blast Mech Mod Explosion

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014

But the problem is what causes most batteries to vent? Most instances of batteries venting are when it comes off the charger or when its over discharged (i.e. shorted). The result can be a relatively harmless vent of hot gas with a safe chemistry battery vs. a fire/explosion with an unsafe battery.

I see. In my RC airplanes, they use big 7.4V 5200mAh Lipo batteries. Ever since day one, I've always charged them in a fireproof bag. The RC shop warned me many times of the dangers of those batteries, while charging as you say, exploding and causing a raging fire. So bad, that many apartments in Korea have been burnt down due to charging damaged batteries which are not visibly defective from the outside (looking at them).

The same situation, I gather, applies to these e-cigarette batteries we've been discussing about.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
I never leave my batteries charging unattended. Don't go to sleep and leave your batteries charging. There is always the danger of them overcharging, so pull them once theyve reached full charge.

I regularly check my batteries when they come off the charger with my multimeter.

And lastly I let my batteries sit for at least an hour before popping into my mod.

Ryan H

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
Changwon, South Korea

But the problem is what causes most batteries to vent? Most instances of batteries venting are when it comes off the charger (over charged) or when its over discharged (i.e. shorted). The result can be a vent of hot gas with a safe chemistry battery vs. a fire/explosion with an unsafe battery.

This. The difference between an IMR and ICR battery could mean the difference between a scalded hand and missing body parts.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Scary stuff. I've seen a few like these. If you were holding it in your hand you'd probably notice the heat long before it got to the explosion stage(~4 minutes). But what would worry me if for example you forgot to put the lock on your mod and it was autofiring in your bag or pocket. There are some nasty pictures here on ECF that show people who have blown their fingers off.

There are some other videos around of a guy who has gone out to the desert and shorted out "safe" batteries in a mechanical mod. You almost could'nt tell they vented. I'll see if I can dig them up.

All the more reason to use regulated mods these days with cut-off switches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread