18490 battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Again, you can vape safely at 100W in a 2 cell mod with 18A-20A batteries. Each battery is responsible for half of the wattage so 50W each battery. The cutoff voltage for your mod should be 3.2V so divide 50W/3.2V = 15.625A. Factor in the efficiency of the mod which I usually like err on the side of extra caution and say 90% so divide 15.625A/.9 = 17.36A being drawn from each cell when the baterries are at their "lowest". If you rework this equation with freshly charged batteries you get a much better result: 50W/4.2V = 11.9A, factor in your inefficiency 11.9/.9 = 13.22A. What this means is that we draw more current(amps) from the batteries in a regulated mod when they are closest to needing a recharge.

The article @Mooch suggested/wrote explains it very well. When we calculate the Max Amps Per Battery it is to find out how hard we're pushing them when they are closest to needing a recharge. I rarely go below 3.5V even though the cutoff on my regulated mod is 3.2V. This gives me a bit more room if I want to go above 100W with 2*20A cells. I dont, in fact Ive never been above 85W with this mod.

Edit:
Just wanted to add that if you just want a simple answer for a safe battery at 100-150W then yes, please use 25A batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Again, you can vape safely at 100W in a 2 cell mod with 18A-20A batteries. Each battery is responsible for half of the wattage so 50W each battery. The cutoff voltage for your mod should be 3.2V so divide 50W/3.2V = 15.625A. Factor in the efficiency of the mod which I usually like err on the side of extra caution and say 90% so divide 15.625A/.9 = 17.36A being drawn from each cell when the baterries are at their "lowest". If you rework this equation with freshly charged batteries you get a much better result: 50W/4.2V = 11.9A, factor in your inefficiency 11.9/.9 = 13.22A. What this means is that we draw more current(amps) from the batteries in a regulated mod when they are closest to needing a recharge.

The article @Mooch suggested/wrote explains it very well. When we calculate the Max Amps Per Battery it is to find out how hard we're pushing them when they are closest to needing a recharge. I rarely go below 3.5V even though the cutoff on my regulated mod is 3.2V. This gives me a bit more room if I want to go above 100W with 2*20A cells. I dont, in fact Ive never been above 85W with this mod.

Edit:
    Just wanted to add that if you just want a simple answer for a safe battery at 100-150W then yes, please use 25A batteries.

Yea...umm...what he said. ;-)

mx360

Feb 13, 2017
    Well I figure I can test the 3 batteries, always have one set charged if I have 3 sets.

I have noticed the PCB board heats up fairly quickly on this mod, but only because my other mod does not show me this information so I have nothing to compare it against, but I have not seen it go past 35c, usually when i turn it on it is at 20c-22c - I have read it has a cut off when the PCB board reaches a certain temp, cant find anything online to tell me what it is though.

Anyway, maybe the 2 other types of batteries will increase the temperature of the PCB board a little slower or maybe not. I will update you just placed an order on ecolux for 2 25R & 2 LGHD2's

Reactions: Darth Omerta
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread