18500 battery and sub ohm question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdarsa

Dec 29, 2014
London
Hi,

I have been vaping for about 4 years now and have decided to give sub ohming a go for 2015.

I have a mechanical mod that can take any size 18000 battery.

I would like to try the Aspire sub tank at .5 ohms and the size of battery I would like to try is an 18500 battery.

Would it be safe to use the eFest 18500 15amp battery for this application?

I see the purple ones ones on ebay and wondered if I risk blowing myself up on the first attempt. :unsure:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any info you can give.

Regards,

Richard.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Hi,

I have been vaping for about 4 years now and have decided to give sub ohming a go for 2015.

I would like to try the Aspire sub tank at .5 ohms and the size of battery I would like to try is an 18500 battery.

I see the purple ones ones on ebay and wondered if I risk blowing myself up on the first attempt. :unsure:

Regards,

Richard.

Welcome aboard
using a .5 ohm atty and a fully charged battery would draw about 8.5 amps. So the Efests should be good, just be beware of counterfits since you are shopping on ebay

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Regards,

Richard.

1. Unless you are using one of those 'trust to catch fire' batts and/or using crappy un-ventable clones, or have no clue about Ohm's law 'blowing up' might be the most exaggerated heresy in our journey.

2. With sub-Ohming it is wiser to stick to 18650 (or higher) batts, rather than 18500s. And get on the HE2 / VTCs / 20R bandwagon.

3. Btw I've successfully / safely used 0.5Ω builds with my 18500 Purple Efests. But wouldn't try going lower.

k46noz.jpg

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
1. Unless you are using one of those 'trust to catch fire' batts and/or using crappy un-ventable clones, or have no clue about Ohm's law 'blowing up' might be the most exaggerated heresy in our journey.

There's a lot of truth to this. But there's also a lot of truth to the fact that people will do extraordinarly silly things due to a lack of knowledge or simply spacing in the moment, and there's merit to reminding them of the power behind what they're holding up to their lips (that's a lob if anyone wants to spike it). Also, venting -- especially in a confined-space or in the seat cushions or something isn't really a joke, either. :p

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area

This is a reputable brand IMR battery. So's this. And this is the hand that was too close when that second battery went.

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. IMR batteries are safER chemistry, but that doesn't mean they can't cause serious problems if you don't treat them right.

iTiger

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
I have a MXJO 18500 15A battery and have used it down to 0.30 ohm many times with no issues. That is the lowest I'd go on it as that's pulling 14A at full charge. Also battery life is very short on it with the 1000mah rating.
I mostly use this as a backup for if my 18650s die before I get to the charger or if I'm someplace I want to have a smaller forum factor vape.

Stephenst4470

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Detroit, Mi
casaa.org
Welcome aboard
using a .5 ohm atty and a fully charged battery would draw about 8.5 amps. So the Efests should be good, just be beware of counterfits since you are shopping on ebay

Ya definitely watch out for counterfeits on eBay, I saw a guy on Youtube with a counterfeit that he cut open and it was packed with flour for weight and had a small foil pack battery inside oO. I would buy the EFests somewhere more reputable, or at the very least make sure that you scratch off the Authenticity check on the batteries when you get it and check it online. Each cell will have one on a sticker on the battery with all the new Efests.

Rebuke

Dec 19, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'd worry about the way efest rates the batteries, they seem to be all over the map. My efest purple 2100's 18650's are 30amps max continuous, or 20c(thats like 42amps), or 20amps continuous that isnt max depending on where you look. I'll stick to under 20amp's on mine but thats just me. They have worked flawlessly in the couple weeks ive had them and im happy with them as 20amp batteries, but its something to keep mindful of.

i got the AW 15c batteries for my smalls, the 18490's are 16amps and the 18350 are 12amps. I don't really forsee going below .5 ohms anyway, and that will keep a nice little cushion away from the rated current limits. I too have see RC lipo's catch fire, and keep a nice respectable 10-15% below the rated current maximum on all my batteries.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The best choice for 18490/500 or 18350 batteries are AW IMR.
    The AW IMR 18490 is a 16a battery, but even at that I wouldn't go below 0.5 ohms which would be 8a @ 4v (50% of cont. amp rating)
    You're just far safer to stick to 18650 batteries if you want to sub ohm.

Here is a list of authorized AW dlrs.
    AW Batteries - Authorized Dealers - USA

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    AW has a new 18490 battery. RTD stocks it. The new AW is 18A and 1200mAh.

18490 and 18500 are interchangeable for the most part but the 18490 is 1 mm shorter than 18500. This may affect the fit in some mech mods.

I'm a long time user of the red Efest 18500 1100mAh flat top. I gotten over 325 charge cycles from some of them. Nice choice for vaping lower wattage carto tanks.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just get some imren 2600 mah 38 amp 18650 batteries and don't even worry about it. Unlike the Sony vtc5's you can find them pretty easily and they don't seem to have the counterfeit issues the Sony's do. For me they last even longer and hit just as hard.

That looks to be a re-wrap of probably a 20a battery. (HE2 or 25r would be my guess)
    The 38a is "pulse rating"
    https://cravingvapor.com/product/imren-18650-batteries/

Stephenst4470

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Detroit, Mi
    casaa.org
    AW has a new 18490 battery. RTD stocks it. The new AW is 18A and 1200mAh.

18490 and 18500 are interchangeable for the most part but the 18490 is 1 mm shorter than 18500. This may affect the fit in some mech mods.

I'm a long time user of the red Efest 18500 1100mAh flat top. I gotten over 325 charge cycles from some of them. Nice choice for vaping lower wattage carto tanks.

+1 to those red Efests.
    I have a few that are 3 years old and still going strong. God knows how many charge cycles on those batteries. I only use them in my 15W mods.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread