Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The really high capacity batteries use ICR chemistry (lithium cobalt oxide) and are not capable of high amp discharge rates without heating up. These are the batteries that can explode when abused because they burn when they vent. They should have protection circuits built in or they are very unsafe for vaping.

The batteries that are considered safer use IMR chemistry (lithium manganese oxide) and these are capable of high discharge rates up to 30 amps in 18650 size. It's almost impossible to make these burn unless you puncture them. The downside is the mAh ratings are lower, typically not higher than 2000 in 18650 size.

Then there are the hybrid batteries that are in between these two. The Panasonic NCR18650PF for example rates 2900 mAh and 10 amps max continuous discharge and is safe. These are a really good choice for the typical regulated mods out there today. 10A is enough for them and 2900 mAh is good.

Here's a chart of safe batteries with some good data on each.

Which mod are you getting?

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Many of the batteries advertised on ebay have grossly overstated mah claims, particularly those ending with "fire" in their name. AW, Panasonic, Sanyo and Sony are all brands which offer quality batteries, but these are often counterfeited, so be careful with your source. The safest bet is to get batteries from an established ecig vendor. RTD and Super T Manufacturing are two companies that I am comfortable with, and AW IMR and ICR are my first choice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have been vaping for a year and I am just progressing to a mod with 18650 batteries. I see the dealers seem to do batteries up to 2000mah but on EBay they have them up to 5000mah. Can the experienced peeps out there tell me what the problems are with the higher capacity batteries.

Battery mAh on e-Bay is about the Most Abused thing I have ever seen.

Since the Idea that More is Better is Pervasive, sellers just keep putting Higher and Higher mAh ratings on Batteries so that they Appear to be a "Better" Battery.

It's like a Nuclear Arms Race.

I Silkscreen 2100mAh on my Battery Wrapper and I'm the Top Dog. But then Someone else Silkscreens 2200mAh on theirs. So I raise the Stakes and go with 2500mAh. It just goes On and On.

My Best Advise is to Not Buy Batteries for an e-Cigarette on e-Bay. Just too many Fakes, Knock-Offs and Overstated Cells out there.

I would suggest instead that you Buy them from a ECF Registered Supplier who has a Proven Track Record. And some History behind them.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Yes, unprotected imr cells.

The higher mah you see are usually lower amp ratings. For instance one 3000 mah i saw had a 6.2 amp working limit.

Vv mods pulse up to 8 amps from the battery so icrs (protected) don't work well. a 10 amp imr is needed.... With mechs it's a good idea, for extra safety, to run at about half the batteries amp limit. It stresses battery less and they should last longer on a charge that way.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I have been vaping for a year and I am just progressing to a mod with 18650 batteries. I see the dealers seem to do batteries up to 2000mah but on EBay they have them up to 5000mah. Can the experienced peeps out there tell me what the problems are with the higher capacity batteries.
... never seen an 18650 at 5000mAh, that is over inflated by a whole bunch. IMHO, stay away from evil bay when it comes to batteries and buy from a reputable dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread