18650 recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAWRferal

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
London
So I've been using various RTAs and RDAs for a number of months now and I'm at the point where I'm confident enough that I can build safely without shorts and whatnot. So I'm going to jump into the mech game!

My question is, what are the most reputable 18650 batteries to buy, with a nice high amp rating (probably gonna build as low as .2)

Any input is appreciated [emoji1]

fishgod

Verified Member
Mar 22, 2015
USA: Alaska
www.frostybytes.com
So I've been using various RTAs and RDAs for a number of months now and I'm at the point where I'm confident enough that I can build safely without shorts and whatnot. So I'm going to jump into the mech game!

My question is, what are the most reputable 18650 batteries to buy, with a nice high amp rating (probably gonna build as low as .2)

Any input is appreciated [emoji1]
.2 Ohm on 4.2 volts is gonna draw 21 amps or a total of about 88W. I would go with Sony VTC4, they are rated at 30 amp.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Been firing my IPV mini 2 at Twisted 26 .4ohm with LG HE 4 18650.
The IPV is a regulated mod. The OP is talking about subohming with a mechanical. Two different scenarios concerning batteries and safe limits.

0.2 ohms leaves no safety headroom for even a 30 amp continuous discharge rated battery. You are placing a lot of faith into your ohm reader that it will read the coil resistance accurately with precision. My own box ohm reader and my Provari P3 are off by 0.2 ohms from each other -- which one is more accurate? 0.2 ohm is just 0.2 ohms away from a dead short and a venting battery, and possibly a pipe bomb via a mechanical mod.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
LG HB6 - its the new 30A out to replace the VTC4.

Bought Here.
Spec's here
Hardly, with only 1500 mAh?

" This battery packs a whopping 30 amperage max. cont. discharge rating making this one of the best batteries for cloud chasing. Keep in mind that the capacity is limited to 1500mAh so you will see a voltage drop much sooner than in other cells, so this may be the best battery for cloud chasing competitions, but not the best every day battery for modders."

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I wouldnt be using that HB6 at all in a mod. What the heck is NCM chemistry anyways?
Just guessing . . . Nickle cobalt manganese?

Cobalt is the basic element in lithium batteries. Nickle and/or Mangangese is added to the mix to make the cell high drain and a safer chemistry.

INR (Samsung) - lithium nickel
IMR - lithium manganese
NCR (Panasonic) - nickel cobalt

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA

I don't see the issue getting authentic VTC4's anymore... guys just buy from Orb.

Sony VTC4 18650 30A high drain battery 2100mAh

These are tested, and are real.

I run my regulated box mods ALWAYS in the .14 - .23 ohm range - mainly due to my favorite dripper - Cartel Stillare V3 - Native 3 coil dripper, so 3 coils @ 6 wraps 26g gplat = .18 - .20 resistance. As my daily vape. I run it in a dual 18650 regulated box mod - sigelei 150w box mod, but have a ton of other high end mechs. To me, the extended battery life and the ability to vape all day on a .19ohm coil for an entire 8 hour work shift without have to charge is reason enough...

My daily setup is something like...
IMG_1833.jpg

Last edited:

jrfhoutx

Oct 9, 2012
Texas
Or get a pair for $4 less, or for ~$10 more than Orb you can get 2 pair from Illumn...

18650 Sony US18650VTC4 2100mAh High Discharge Flat Top

Either way, buy quality name brand batteries from a reputable dealer, in this hobby batteries are not the place to cheap out trying to save a buck. Save your money by buying cloned mods and RDAs, but not batteries...

Personally I don't buy anything but the VTCs, HE2/4, and the 25R, but that's just me... Though I am interested in that HD2, another 5A over the HEs and the 25R couldn't hurt...

Reactions: Baditude

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
What sucks about all these batteries to me is this. I have an istick 50w right now, it's 4200 mah. None of these batteries come close to that. I was considering the new Kanger Subox, but I don't want to have to carry backup batteries around. I like to have it last at least a full day of heavy vaping. Decisions decisions...

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
What sucks about all these batteries to me is this. I have an istick 50w right now, it's 4200 mah. None of these batteries come close to that. I was considering the new Kanger Subox, but I don't want to have to carry backup batteries around. I like to have it last at least a full day of heavy vaping. Decisions decisions...

That iStick probably also has two batteries in it, not one. Get yourself any decent dual 18650 mod and itll stand up to the iStick easily.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread