1st Obligatory Message: Musings on my year as an e-cig user and the online racket it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Since you are using a device that "vaporizes" a liquid and does not burn a solid or create smoke but instead creates a "vapor", then what more appropriate term would you suggest, BASED on the logic of the devices' functionality??
This was my question, too, so I'm glad someone asked. New technology understandably calls for new terminology. When the telephone was invented, so was the verb form of the word (and the shortened "to phone").

I must admit, I didn't much care for the sound of "vaping" myself, but at least it makes sense. I certainly have much stronger objections to calling it "smoking," which makes no sense, causes confusion, and provokes revulsion....

Amiaji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
North Carolina
This was my question, too, so I'm glad someone asked. New technology understandably calls for new terminology. When the telephone was invented, so was the verb form of the word (and the shortened "to phone").

I must admit, I didn't much care for the sound of "vaping" myself, but at least it makes sense. I certainly have much stronger objections to calling it "smoking," which makes no sense, causes confusion, and provokes revulsion....

The term "vaping" has taken a little getting used to for me. However I agree that calling it smoking doesn't fit. I am slowly coming to terms with the jargon used used.

EsOne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Millbury OH
Am I the only one that imagines OP sitting behind his PC with his "Cruella De Villa" e-cig with a monocle, top hat, and a nicely groomed mustache?

I do like your tone though. +1 for that. Very well spoken. Rarity now-a-days.

I am kind of new too. However, I must say I have been treated amazingly from Caterpillar Vapes - your e-liquid, e-cigarette kits,e-cigarette and vaping superstore

I have e-mailed them personally a couple times (not for bad service, though!) and the owner is quick to respond and help. I order a LOT of juices there and he recently gave me a promo code to get free shipping because I order so much.

Every time I have talked my friends/family into trying the e-cigarette to quit smoking, I always send them there.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Enoch: Yes, my ego-C 1000mah has the button...I gave it the pseudonym Cruella De Vil because of the villain in 101 Dalmatians. I was told my e-cig looked similar to it. It seems the twist is going to be ordered today. I am operating on one battery and we all know that is a precarious line to walk. One last question: does the Vision spinner use the same tanks a ego-C would?

Thank you so much!

Perhaps you will come back to this thread. Words move quickly here and threads get lost.

This is an illustration of the threading on an eGo (standard and Twist) and Vision Spinner. The examples of what can be attached are already a bit dated, but should give you a general idea.

egolatest.jpg

Spinner

spinnerlatest.jpg

spinner & twist compared

spinnertwistends.jpg

The specifications of the two devices are the same: variable voltage from 3.2v to 4.8v in .2 increments. The main differences are that the Spinner is a bit thicker and has the voltage numbers on the body, whereas the Twist has the numbers on the knob. The Spinner is also available in more mAh and color options. Should you choose to get either, I strongly recommend you get an authentic Joyetech Twist or Vision Spinner. People seem to have fewer problems with them vs. the generics. I have no problem with generic devices, but it's nice to have at least one good one. No power, no vape.

Last edited:

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
I too am not particularly thrilled with the term "vaping". To the uninitiated, it conjures up quite the cornucopia of meanings as people try to imagine what it is through sheer context.

But we're not smoking, and with what we're doing, and WHY we're doing it, getting away from the term "smoking" is important. "E-smoking" still connotates smoking and all the evils that are implied with it.

So "vaping" it is. *sigh*

Oct 18, 2013
I rarely visit this site; however, it is the optimum spot to collect information from kind people… and Guru’s with enough free time to pen 10,364 posts on a subject that is peripheral to me. When I first wrote that I was opposed to the term “Vaping” it was an extemporaneous thought; I was concerned with procuring a new device. I didn’t pay mind to posts that weren’t correlated to my immediate objective. I have a new device; thank you all for sharing your knowledge and advice.

I jumped back on here to record names of e-liquid recommendations and I read the posts regarding my disdain for the term “Vaping.” Now I have to revisit this subject because an omnipotent veteran castigated me for my opinion and I was unawares.

WV2WIN: I apologize for my delayed reply to following the statement/question you posed in a tyrannizing manner:

“Since you are using a device that "vaporizes" a liquid and does not burn a solid or create smoke but instead creates a "vapor", then what more appropriate term would you suggest, BASED on the logic of the devices' functionality??”

Foreword: I chose to use e-cigarettes instead of traditional cigarettes for personal reasons. I do not labor under the misconception that what I am ingesting now is better than traditional cigarettes (although I feel better and smell better.) I am placing my life in the hands of faceless people that own a laptop.

The term “Vaping” is innocuous nomenclature; the etymology of “Vaping” suggests it is natural, safe, breezy and benign. THAT IS NOT TRUE. Therefore it is irresponsible to use a term that suggests the device merely “Vaporizes.” WV2WIN you forgot to address the very important matter of “What it is vaporizing?” I don’t want the 15 year old I love thinking it is safe because it is a liquid named Vanilla Cupcake and smells sweet. This is not a product that has been approved by the FDA; we are not certain what the ingredients are regardless of what the websites report. MyFreedomSmokes.com displayed pictures of Joytech batteries on their site and they billed me for an ego-C Joytech battery. Then a replica arrived in the mail that did not have the Joytech insignia and it broke two weeks later. They made money off me by lying about something I was certain to discover, I can only imagine how they manipulate the merchandise we can’t/won't see.

I don’t have a Doctorate in chemistry (and I would bet my left arm WV2WIN does not either) therefore we cannot deduce the compounds of e-juices being sold by the thousands of vendors who jumped on the bandwagon to make money. Any of these vendors could report their juice is made of Angel farts and Puppy Breath and we have to believe them because they don’t answer to anybody (in most States), the government hasn’t figured out how to regulate them yet. We are essentially taking the same gamble as any chemically dependent person does, except we buy our fix on pretty websites infused with endearing marketing techniques like ‘sample bottles’ that win our allegiance and keep us hooked. Cigarettes are insidious, destructive chemicals, but the ingredients have been made public.

Second, I feel the English language has been disgraced enough during my lifetime and been reduced by the simple logic you suggested. You may be able to thread every model/tank/cart/don’t/care/ blindfolded, but I have the capacity to conceptualize and convey alternative verbs and thread them into a sentence. I can refer to enjoying an e-cigarette by manipulating my vocabulary based on what I deem appropriate when considering my environment, the age group, my company, etc. For over a year I have never employed the word “Vaping” and I have not misled people when referencing my affinity for e-cigarettes nor have I had to be verbose or play charades.

I like e-cigarettes.

I don’t like the term “Vaping.”

TheVapingJester

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Jackson Missouri
I can't even make it all of the way through your rambling posts. There are a ton of good knowledgeable folks on this forum (yep I said folks) that has always helped anyone who has asked as far as vaping is concerned. I regret that you had to stoop to actually communicating with the ECF vaping community, but I am sure that you will still get answers to your ramblings because they are more patient than they should be at times. I don't mean to offend anyone, but your arrogance is a tad overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread