1st week vaping and its harsh in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimeaces

Apr 4, 2015
I stopped smoking about 2 packs a day a week ago and started vaping. I am currently vaping with mvp 3.0 and an atlantis tank. The juices i use are all 70/30 and range from 6 - 24 mg been trying to find the right one for me.

My question is in the morning it is still like a cigarette to me, I am still coughing up alot of crap and its harsh on the lungs. Granted i am not going into ( i can't breath, eyes turning red coughing spree) but i am still coughing quite a bit. Is this normal when you are first starting to vap?

Also is it normal that when i go to the vap store i see kids blowing out BARRELS OF SMOKE! like they had a hookah! i can get maybe a third of that smoke. Are my lungs just not healed enough yet?

THANKS TO ALL!

PersimmonNJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
New York, NY, USA
Honestly? I would never start someone out with a sub ohm tank...the Atlantis is not newbie hardware. Many folks who graduate to sub ohm have dropped their nic levels down pretty far. The harshness is very likely in part related to a higher nic level.

To start, I'd back up to a Nautilus (reg or mini) as it will mitigate the harsher higher nic levels you are likely using better.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
Cigarette smoke is dry, dry, dry and vaping is wet so it feels a bit unnatural at first... That's completely normal. If it seems too harsh or you don't like the level of what we call a "throat hit" you are getting there are things you can do to make it feel smoother (vaping cooler -- turning your wattage/voltage down, using higher VG liquid, and using lower nicotine).

Don't worry about blowing clouds, worry about getting your nicotine fix and not smoking cigarettes. Over time you will enjoy vaping more and more and it will become more than just a smoking alternative but an actual hobby (or maybe it won't for you and you'll just stop and be smoke free), then you can worry about blowing clouds.

And yeah, I agree with Atlantis being a little much to start with. I was vaping at a 1.8-2.4 range for two years before I got my first sub-ohm tank, and it kicked my ... the first two day that I had it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I stopped smoking about 2 packs a day a week ago and started vaping. I am currently vaping with mvp 3.0 and an atlantis tank. The juices i use are all 70/30 and range from 6 - 24 mg been trying to find the right one for me.

My question is in the morning it is still like a cigarette to me, I am still coughing up alot of crap and its harsh on the lungs. Granted i am not going into ( i can't breath, eyes turning red coughing spree) but i am still coughing quite a bit. Is this normal when you are first starting to vap?

Also is it normal that when i go to the vap store i see kids blowing out BARRELS OF SMOKE! like they had a hookah! i can get maybe a third of that smoke. Are my lungs just not healed enough yet?

THANKS TO ALL!

yes it's normal to cough for the first few weeks and months as your lungs start clearing out.

harshness is something to be carefull with though.

if its harsh, drop the voltage.

those kids blowing clouds are vaping at 30+ watts and burning up juice fast; they're also using 3mg nicotine strength.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
the 3 mg thing makes sense idk but it seems like those kids were vaping to be "cool" which i imagine is what gets people worked up about it being allowed in public haha and the guy at the shop set it up to 3.7 volts does that sound right?

I've been a two year vaper (before that a pack and a half a day smoker) and right now I'm hitting a .7ohm coil on around 2.9 volts, with 11mg nicotine strength liquid.

But different people enjoy different heat and different throat hits... If it tastes burnt at all (or you can't taste whatever flavor you should be tasting) or actually feels harsh at all, then you probably need to adjust something. If it just feels...like a little choke (bad description but can't think of a better word) but it tastes fine and isn't burning your throat and sinuses, then you're okay.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
When I first started, I always had to vape something with a much softer throat hit in the morning when I first got up, and it needed to be higher nic, too, to get me past that long-time morning-smoke crave. Although nowadays I vape the same mg all day long, I still prefer something a bit softer, not so much tingle, when I first wake up. After about 30-40 minutes, I can go back to my usual very-high TH vape.

It's completely normal to keep on with the morning cough-up routine for some time, depending on how long/how strong you smoked, though it should gradually ease, the longer you're off smokes -- you're not putting anymore crud in, so whatever there is to cough up is finite. But you breathe more shallowly while sleeping, and so when your brain first comes to consciousness and breathing gets deeper, it's natural to bring up anything that needs bringing up -- it's a good thing! It's the first stage of healing.

Andria

I'm new to vaping as well and also often cough first thing in the morning. I know I am still adjusting from the switch from analogs and how I inhaled them. I have to remind myself it is not a cigarette and not to inhale so deeply and quickly. Slowly filling my mouth with vapor, hold for a sec then gently exhaling through my nose solves the morning cough session for me.

Congrats on quitting by the way.

Kazombie

Apr 6, 2015
UK
When I switched from smoking to vaping I got exactly the same problem, very harsh, flavours were mixed up, tasted disgusting. What flavours are you using? Most people when they first move tend to stick to the nicotine flavours as opposed to fruity things, if you use a nicotine based flavour I'd suggest moving to something less harsh, small inhales and low battery settings. I think its a transition from smoking, I used to take a big drag of the first morning smoke, so I started doing the same with my set up, not a good idea!

All in all, it's about getting used to the switch :) Best of luck and don't give up!

I was in a brick and mortar vape store a while ago and these guys had pretty awesome machines, capable of insane cloud out put . . . and then one of the guys pulled out the bottle of juice that he carried around with him and that said it all. Seriously, he had the biggest pockets ever to accommodate that huge bottle of juice. Everyone likes different things *but* I don't have huge cloud output and I really don't care. It's nice when I get a juice that makes bigger clouds but it's really more about the taste to me. My hubby can get double what I can on my machine simply because his lungs are more powerful to inhale with. Whenever I go into a store and see the really insane mods these guys have, all I can think about is Harry Potter when they went to the Quidditch World Cup and Mr. Weasley said "We can't help but show off when we all get together", lol.

As long as your taste is good and you're satisfied, those clouds mean very little. They just evaporate anyway . . :p

I gave up smoking years ago and I find vaping in the morning to be harsh. Granted, I vape no nic but still . . .

Glad you're keeping with it though. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread