20 year smoker, one week free of cigarettes thanks to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello EFC Community,

First thank you everyone here, You guys gave me the courage (I didn't think I had) to quit cigarettes after reading posts. There are forums throughout the internet about every possible subject, however, few change peoples lives. This one has, at least for me.

I had once tried an electronic cigarette, but it was so weak, I thought I could never replace cigarette smoking with it. However, after reading posts here, I decided to give it another try.

Although a nervous wreck the first couple of days in fear of possibly failing, I have managed not to touch an analog cigarette in one week. I have been using a VTC mini with 8mg of nicotine, a .4 ohm titanium coil (the one that came with the mod) and its set to VW mode.

I would truly appreciate some help with the settings, as even though I scoured the boards for information, the information was a bit overwhelming.

The gentleman that put the titanium coil inside the vtc for me, told me not go above 45 watts in vw mode. I really want to try changing the settings to see if I could get a better taste and hit, however, I saw some posts about not using one mode at this temperature or that mode with that setting or this coil with that settings, etc etc. I even saw some posts saying I could possibly inhale dangerous fumes if I set certain settings wrong.

Please excuse my ignorance as I am so new to this. Can someone please answer the following questions for me: (Please be as lengthy as possible in your answers as this is completely new to me)

1) What is the advantage of changing to a different ohm coil and if I do, what settings range should I set it to to be safe. Also, any reason why the gentleman told me not to go past 45 watts with this coil in vw mode?

2) What is the range of wattage that I can set to in vw mode with different ohm coils?

3) What ohm coil(s) to use in vv mode, at what settings and what are the advantage or differences?

4) How to use bypass mode and why would one do so?

I apologize for such a long post and I understand this is a lot of information to ask for...and I understand different settings work for different people, however, I just want to get to a place where the vaping is enough for me and I don't think about cigarettes. Your help would be invaluable to me. Thank you so much everyone, I am much obliged to everyone here.

Best Wishes...
OpenUpShop

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
Hello openupshop!

1) different resistance coils allow for different wattage uses. Typically the higher resistances, closer to one ohm and above, take less power. Since vaping is such a personal choice, the different ohm coils allow a lot of customization. Your coil should say on the side a recommended wattage range. You can exceed this if you would like to find your favorite vape, the higher you go the shorter your coil could last.

2) mostly explained in 1.

3) vv is the same as vw, but not as fine adjustment.

4) I'm not familiar with bypass on the evic but if it's mech mode it just let's you use your battery's actual voltage instead of you setting it.

Any more questions or if you need any clarification just ask!

Hello HighPlainsPuffer,

Thank you so much for your explanation. That is exactly what I was unsure of, but I didn't know the coil would say it on the side. By the way, did you mean it would say on the actual coil or the wrapper/box it comes with? Either way, I will check as I will be buying some coils.

The only other thing I am still unsure about is the temperature mode...now normally, I set the wattage in vw mode and I am set. However, in temperature mode, I am able to select a temperature.. How do I select a safe and acceptable range and/or where would I get this information from?

Thank you very much...

Reactions: zoiDman

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
the actual coil will have a range printed on the side of it, and the wrapper/box should describe the ideal wattages. start at the low end, and work your way up to the high end, if you want a bit more, try a bit more on each few puffs until you either find your ideal vape or you start getting burned hits, than back down a bit.

no idea on the temperature control, as I don't personally use it. visit the temperature control forum and check out some threads, they should give you some ideas on ranges. feel free to ask in that forum as well, lots of knowledgeable folks in there!

Reactions: OpenUpShop

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Hello EFC Community,

First thank you everyone here, You guys gave me the courage (I didn't think I had) to quit cigarettes after reading posts. There are forums throughout the internet about every possible subject, however, few change peoples lives. This one has, at least for me.

I had once tried an electronic cigarette, but it was so weak, I thought I could never replace cigarette smoking with it. However, after reading posts here, I decided to give it another try.

Although a nervous wreck the first couple of days in fear of possibly failing, I have managed not to touch an analog cigarette in one week. I have been using a VTC mini with 8mg of nicotine, a .4 ohm titanium coil (the one that came with the mod) and its set to VW mode.

I would truly appreciate some help with the settings, as even though I scoured the boards for information, the information was a bit overwhelming.

The gentleman that put the titanium coil inside the vtc for me, told me not go above 45 watts in vw mode. I really want to try changing the settings to see if I could get a better taste and hit, however, I saw some posts about not using one mode at this temperature or that mode with that setting or this coil with that settings, etc etc. I even saw some posts saying I could possibly inhale dangerous fumes if I set certain settings wrong.

Please excuse my ignorance as I am so new to this. Can someone please answer the following questions for me: (Please be as lengthy as possible in your answers as this is completely new to me)

1) What is the advantage of changing to a different ohm coil and if I do, what settings range should I set it to to be safe. Also, any reason why the gentleman told me not to go past 45 watts with this coil in vw mode?

2) What is the range of wattage that I can set to in vw mode with different ohm coils?

3) What ohm coil(s) to use in vv mode, at what settings and what are the advantage or differences?

4) How to use bypass mode and why would one do so?

I apologize for such a long post and I understand this is a lot of information to ask for...and I understand different settings work for different people, however, I just want to get to a place where the vaping is enough for me and I don't think about cigarettes. Your help would be invaluable to me. Thank you so much everyone, I am much obliged to everyone here.

Best Wishes...
OpenUpShop

Welcome OpenUpShop to this amazing site full of amazing people. I respect your courage to quit and I know if you have made it one week with that set up that you mentioned then I can help you make the permanent switch I hope.

Ok so here's the deal with titanium coils....there a headache....there not all that and a bag of chips...and from what I read your trying to quit cigarettes for good and stop those cravings..the last thing you need is some crap from a coil am I right?

Get Kanthal coils....it's tried and true and forgivable...it doesn't have the nasty crap titanium or nickel has and it's been used for making coils since vaping began. It is the true legend of wires....all the other wires are just a headache....especially for a new vapor.

Now your gonna want a tank that takes kanthal coils.

My first recommendation would be a kangertech subtank IF you like an airy draw.
If you like a tighter more restricted hit then something like a nautalus mini would be good.
The tanks I mentioned come with prebuilt coils so all you have to do is screw em in and juice it up. Simple right?

Your mod that you have goes to 45 watts which is enough for a warm vape and good clouds.
You could run the mini on 20 watts and the subtank on about 35.

Now let me answer your questions.

1.) A different ohm coil is basically a ohm range from ( .1-2.5ohm).. Start with some 1.5 ohm prebuilt coils
USE KANTHAL COILS. There is a safe range with kanthal..if it's to hot you will get a dry hit..if it's to low you will know it and you can turn up your watts. Simple isn't it.
The guy told you not to go past 45 watts probably because titanium is all talk and no walk and it's still not as safe as kanthal because titanium creates something called titanium dioxide and high temps...so he told you not to go higher then 45.

2.) Yes if you use kanthal prebuilt coils there should be a range of watts to run..usually 10-30 watts. There's some room to play with the trusted safer kanthal.
Basically a .5 ohm kanthal coil should run around 30 watts while on the other hand a 2 ohm coil might get 15 watts.

3.) With a vv mod your options are limitless when it comes to which ohm you can run as long as it's within the specs of the mod. If your running a 1 ohm coil then 20 watts would be a sweet spot.
The difference in ohms vary a lot..simply put though is the 2 ohm coil is going to take less watts to run and a .5 ohm coil is going to take more. A 2 ohm coil has a limit of about 25 watts maximum and a .5 ohm would be 50 watts. Watts doesn't make flavor though...remember that.
If your vaping with a .5 ohm coil vs a 1.5 ohm coil it literally makes no difference at all..there is no winner or loser..it's what you like that counts..I would recommend you start at 1.5 ohm.

4.) I have no idea what bypass mode is....I recommend you slow down and vape. Go buy a natlius mini with some 1.5 ohm prebuilt coils and juice it up with some of your favorite 12 mg nicotine juice and thank me later.

Dear Adam,

I would tell you how great you are, but you probably already know that. :rickroll:Thank you so much for you post... talk about a great community, I was on the way home from work having picked up a .5 ohm kanthal coil from a vapor store, and I wanted to post asking about it, but you had already answered my question...amazing...

The gentleman at the store, did say the same thing about titanium vs. kanthal, however, I swear, people here are a thousand time more knowledgeable about everything to do with vapor than every store vapor guy I have talked to so far. He kept telling me information that seemed contradictory..

I wish I had read your post first, so I could have gotten a 1.5 ohm coil as you suggested, but the guy seemed to be pushing me to buy another atomizer saying he only had a .5 ohm one for mine (the eGo one mega that came with the vtc mini)... so I will be ordering online anyway...

The one thing if you could clarify - I did a firmware update and now my vtc mini goes up to 75 watts.. and I know you said it doesn't matter what watts (of course within acceptable coil ranges)...so..

1) Do I really need to buy another atomizer, or can I stick with the eGo one mega tank that it came with? At least the Joyetech website (info from website copied below) says it does take kanthal...

2) Besides the VW and VV modes, there are three temperature modes, obviously as per your recommendation, I won't be using the Titanium or Nickel Temp modes, but what about the SS Temp mode, (added in the latest firmware update) See below-

And Adam thank you so much for all your info... Much obliged to you and the community here for all your help. You guys and gals are truly amazing people...
Best Wishes...

From another website....Additional Mode
VT SS is the newly added output mode in eVic VTC Mini. This requires the use of stainless steel atomizer head in order to use this mode. With stainless steel coil, you could discern a different flavor experience that changes with the adjustment of temperature setting. Not only will you get an improved flavor in your vapor, but your battery power will also be preserved. Besides, the output power of the eVic VTC mini has also been upgraded so from 60W, you could even fire up to 75W.

The website's info about Bypass Mode:
Bypass Mode is a direct output mode of voltage. This mode can only be used with atomizer resistances under the range of 0.15-3.5 ohms; otherwise the device will not work properly.

Joyetech eVic VTC 60W Mini Kit Features:
Variable Wattage / Voltage)
Temperature Control Capable
Uses: Kanthal, Titanium or Nickel Coils
Great for Sub-Ohm Vaping

Joyetech eVic VTC 60W Mini Kit Specs:
Battery: (1) 18650 Battery (not included
Wattage Output: 1 Watt – 75 Watts with firmware upgrade to v.20
Voltage Output: 0.5 Volts – 8.0 Volts
Temperature Range: 200° - 600° F (100° - 315° C)
VT Mode Resistance Range: 0.05 Ohms – 1.0 Ohms
VW Mode Resistance Range: 0.15 Ohms – 3.5 Ohms

I'm not Adam and I don't play him on TV, but at least I can shoot you a temporary answer until he gets around to writing a book for you. :)

1) You can use the 0.5 Kanthal atomizer with your Mega in VW (wattage) mode. It'll act like any other Kanthal atomizer, just at a lower resistance, so play with the wattage within reasonable range to find what you like!

We all have our preferences. I sit around 1.6 to 2.0 ohm and tend to prefer 4 to 5.5 watts on a Kanger T3S and either my Vamo or my Sigelei 30w Mini. Other vapers laugh at me, but that's what I prefer in terms of temperature and taste. If you prefer a Mega at 0.5 ohms and a higher wattage, more power to you. I might suggest starting at a very conservative 15 watts and moving up from there with a 0.5 ohm coil, but you might prefer a colder, weaker vape and go lower wattage.

2) I am, personally, not a big fan of temperature mode and consider it somewhat gimmicky no matter what the wire you're using. I stick with Kanthal (Nichrome is fine too!) wire.

SS--stainless steel--should be relatively safe in terms of gasses released, so I'd have less problem with it than other metals. But I'm still not a fan as of yet.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Stick with kanthal and forget the rest.
Kanthal will run on any VV MOD
Yes you only need that tank that you have now and may need another atomizer but we call them tanks :)
I would suggest you buy a genuine aspire nautilus mini and some pre built coils.

A coil should last you around a week or 2 before it starts getting funky so go ahead and buy 5 coils.

With the tank you have currently the aspire nautilus mini will blow it out of the water and it cost around 20 bucks online.

The guy at the vape store was pushing another tank on you because that's his job...to sale stuff to ....no offense but you are new and he picks up on that.
Only buy from a vape shop if you absolutely have to because there prices are usually 20-30% higher on tanks and other stuff.

Buy your vape gear from websites if you can. It will save you money!

Since you have 75 watts now and SS temp control I would say this..
Play it safe with kanthal and wait a while on the other wires.

Kanthal has no limits. It will not get toxic at high temps..when it gets to hot it simply pops like someone cutting a wire.

If I can help you with anything else or if you need some more advice let me know and I will try my best to answer correctly.

Morpheus and Adam thank you so much..From your posts, I get the sense overall, the kanthals are my best bet now... I was just more curious than anything... about the other modes. But you two have echoed almost all the research I have done and others' posts in ECF.

Guess I am going shopping online for the nautilus and some coils... My wife keeps asking me why I am online so much lately...she saw me looking at "juices" and PG and VG..(she got another thing coming if she thinks I am cooking or baking or something...) hehe

Morpheus you had me cracking up with your first line...lol..

Adam your definintely right about his vape stores and the salesman, and the questions I was asking him, even a five year old would have known, I am a newbie... I would do the same in his shoes... But I've learned to control impulsiveness purchases as online is usually so much cheaper with most items.

Thank you very much, both of you, you have educated me further...

Best Wishes...

Just a little correction...Sorry Guys for the confusion, but very boneheaded of me...so the vtc I have does NOT have VV mode...only VW mode, the temp control modes, bypass and SS mode. I clicked the buttons to let me select modes, and those were the only ones... no vv for me :-( Don't have an idea why I thought it did....

Really sorry, I stated incorrect information....Thanks again, much obliged..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello EFC Community,

Hi OpenUpShop.

Great to hear that you are Kicking that 20 Year Habit. Good Job.

You got a Lot of Good Information in this Thread. And I Don't have much to Add. Except that I would Highly Suggest that you start thinking about getting some Back-Ups.

If the Thin Line that is keeping one from Smoking is a Coil, or a Single Bottle of e-Liquid, or a Battery, if Anything happens to any link in the Chain, well, some might be Tempted to Buy that Pack of Smokes until they can get a Replacement.

Having some Spares on hand is Always a Good Call. Because things always seem to Break at the Worst Possible Times.

Like I said, Good Job on getting thru those First couple of Days. They Can be Brutal. At least they were for Me. So keep fighting the Good Fight.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
2) I am, personally, not a big fan of temperature mode and consider it somewhat gimmicky no matter what the wire you're using. I stick with Kanthal (Nichrome is fine too!) wire.

SS--stainless steel--should be relatively safe in terms of gasses released, so I'd have less problem with it than other metals. But I'm still not a fan as of yet.[/QUOTE]
I'm not Adam and I don't play him on TV, but at least I can shoot you a temporary answer until he gets around to writing a book for you. :)

1) You can use the 0.5 Kanthal atomizer with your Mega in VW (wattage) mode. It'll act like any other Kanthal atomizer, just at a lower resistance, so play with the wattage within reasonable range to find what you like!

We all have our preferences. I sit around 1.6 to 2.0 ohm and tend to prefer 4 to 5.5 watts on a Kanger T3S and either my Vamo or my Sigelei 30w Mini. Other vapers laugh at me, but that's what I prefer in terms of temperature and taste. If you prefer a Mega at 0.5 ohms and a higher wattage, more power to you. I might suggest starting at a very conservative 15 watts and moving up from there with a 0.5 ohm coil, but you might prefer a colder, weaker vape and go lower wattage.

SS--stainless steel--should be relatively safe in terms of gasses released, so I'd have less problem with it than other metals. But I'm still not a fan as of yet.

Hello! :) Youur
Morpheus and Adam thank you so much..From your posts, I get the sense overall, the kanthals are my best bet now... I was just more curious than anything... about the other modes. But you two have echoed almost all the research I have done and others' posts in ECF.

Guess I am going shopping online for the nautilus and some coils... My wife keeps asking me why I am online so much lately...she saw me looking at "juices" and PG and VG..(she got another thing coming if she thinks I am cooking or baking or something...) hehe

Morpheus you had me cracking up with your first line...lol..

Adam your definintely right about his vape stores and the salesman, and the questions I was asking him, even a five year old would have known, I am a newbie... I would do the same in his shoes... But I've learned to control impulsiveness purchases as online is usually so much cheaper with most items.

Thank you very much, both of you, you have educated me further...

Best Wishes...

Your welcome.
Have fun :)

Zoidman, thank you. And you couldn't be more right... I've ordered a lot of supplies online, I already have nicotine, pg and vg bottle... Just waiting for concentrates. The DIY blogs here really helped with that and the ejuicemeup calculator brought everything together. I do have extra juice...

But its funny, my co-worker and my wife said the same thing you did, to make sure I didn't leave myself any reason to get pulled back into having, "just that one cigarette" which we know is never just that one....

Reactions: zoiDman
Ok guys so my bad to keep taking up your time... :blush: I've been using the .5 ohm Kanthal coil and I started at about 20 watts and kept going up to and I am at about 30 watts. The problem is its not giving me that "hot" and "warm" throat hit I was getting when I was using the .4 ohm titanium coil.

Also, it makes a very short hiss sound after I vape, but only if I vape for more than a couple seconds?

The titanium dioxide Adam mentioned scared me so I will not be touching the titanium coil. Any suggestions, can I raise the watts a bit more? and/or would other level coils provide a warmer throat hit?..

Lastly, Adam mentioned the Kanthal, if it gets "too hot, will simply pop like someone cutting a wire," is this a sound or would I just get bad tasting vapes..meaning, how would I know?

Thank you guys and gals... I truly appreciate all the help.
Best Wishes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread