2014 NYTS reveals lots of excellent news that CDC has failed to report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While the CDC has cherry picked e-cig usage data from its NYTS (and other surveys) to create a public panic and lobby for the FDA's deeming regulation (that would ban >99.9% of nicotine vapor products), the 2014 NYTS at http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/surveys/nyts/
also found (but CDC has failed to report) that among 6th-12th grade students:

First Product Used

- Among ever users of tobacco or vapor products, 13.6% first used cigarettes, 5.5% first used e-cigarettes, 4.7% first used cigars, 3.2% first used smokeless tobacco, 1.7% first used another tobacco product; refuting false claims e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes.

Changes in Product Use from 2011 to 2014

- Those who last smoked a cigarette Today declined from 3.7% to 2.0%,
- Those who last smoked a cigarette in Past Week declined from 7.8% to 4.3%,
- Those who last smoked a cigarette in Past 30 Days declined from 10.4% to 6.1%,
- Those who have Not used a tobacco or e-cig product in Past 30 Days increased from 81.6% to 88.9%,
- Those who have Never used a tobacco or e-cig product increased from 72.6% to 79.4%.

Product Risk Beliefs in 2014

- 18.0% inaccurately believe e-cigs are just as or more harmful than cigarettes, 48.5% accurately believe e-cigs are less harmful,
- 33.5% inaccurately believe e-cigs are just as or more addictive than cigarettes, 29.8% accurately believe e-cigs are less addictive,
- 49.9% inaccurately believe smokeless tobacco is just as or more harmful than cigarettes, 12.7% accurately believe smokeless tobacco is less harmful,
- 45.2% inaccurately believe cigars are just as or more harmful than cigarettes, 15.7% accurately believe cigars are less harmful,
- 85.5% inaccurately agree “All tobacco products are dangerous”, 9.9% accurately disagree.

Home Environment

- 28.8% of 6th-12th grade students live with a cigarette smoker, 9.8% with a smokeless tobacco user, 9.5% with an e-cigarette user, 7.4% with a cigar smoker, 3.7% with a hookah smoker, 1.5% with a pipe smoker.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
And even more details of 2014 NYTS findings on e-cig and cigarette usage patterns

Brad Rodu – The CDC Buries the Lead: Teen e-cigarette use rises as more dangerous cigarette use plummets (delineates teen cigarette and e-cig use from 2011-2014 NYTS)
http://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-cdc-buries-lead-teen-e-cigarette.html

The CDC Buries the Lead: Teen E-cigarette Use Rises as More Dangerous Cigarette Use Plummets

And another critique on NYTS data

Brad Rodu – The bitter truth: CDC’s numbers on flavored tobacco don’t add up
http://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-bitter-truth-cdcs-numbers-on.html

Last edited:

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
First Product Used

- Among ever users of tobacco or vapor products, 13.6% first used cigarettes, 5.5% first used e-cigarettes, 4.7% first used cigars, 3.2% first used smokeless tobacco, 1.7% first used another tobacco product; refuting false claims e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes.

I'm unclear about this result. If the N is all ever users, shouldn't the first-used percents equal 100? Is there some other first used product that I'm not thinking of? I didn't see the data tables, although I did download the SAS files & codebook for later.

Reactions: Jman8

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm unclear about this result. If the N is all ever users, shouldn't the first-used percents equal 100? Is there some other first used product that I'm not thinking of? I didn't see the data tables, although I did download the SAS files & codebook for later.

Pretty sure (Bill can correct me if I'm wrong) that "N" is all students from 6 to 12 grade. So that, say, of all the students in the study, 13.6% first used cigarettes, 5.5% first used e-cigarettes, etc.

see:
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/surveys/yts/pdfs/YTS_SS_2011_v6_508tagged.pdf

There are two major studies - this one YTS 2011 has this table... explained as:

Table 3. Percentage of middle school and high school students who first used a whole cigarette, cigar, or smokeless tobacco before age 11,a

Reactions: LaraC

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Pretty sure (Bill can correct me if I'm wrong) that "N" is all students from 6 to 12 grade. So that, say, of all the students in the study, 13.6% first used cigarettes, 5.5% first used e-cigarettes, etc.

Thank you, and you may be right, although then I would expect that 13.6 + 5.5%+....+never used =100%. I think I"m going to start putting up the data sets and see what I find. Fun!

Reactions: DC2

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

That is correct. I wrote that sentence incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread