Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Will this thing run standard LR 306 and 510 atties? Does it have a drip well at all?
I believe there is adequate air channels for a lr 306 or 510, but no drip well
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440038255.465713.jpg

Sent from my zombie defense stronghold using Tapatalk - now Free

Reactions: thetrucker

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I have the Owl, and like it. Have decided to get a second squonker clone, for the wife.... Question I have is do I get another Owl or get the Reo Grand Clone or a Kui? Or is there another sub $50 Squonker I should consider.
I have all 3 of these.the Kui is very nice,but it has quite a bit of weight to it because it's made of zinc,it works really well though.The Reo clone is fantastic,very lite weight and works great,but if you want to use bigger atty's then it has to be modded.They are very easy to mod though.Took me about 20 minutes with a small grinding wheel on my dremel and a hand file,but it could be done with just a file or a sander with coarse paper as well.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Kind of late to the party, but I'll throw in my two cents worth. I got the Terminator from FT along with a Hobo v3 clone. The Owl atty just didn't do it for me. I tried dual coils in the Hobo, 26 and 28ga, and ended up with a single coil 28ga, the same as I use in my Taifun and Erlkonigins. I use dual coils in my Magma, but for some reason the single works better for me in the Hobo. With the 26ga dual coils the battery life was pathetic, and the vape quality deteriorated rapidly. With the single 28ga one battery lasts all day with no real loss of quality. I'm lucky, my sweet spot for vaping is about 1.2-1.6ohms and 3.7-3.4volts, anything in that range is good. So I don't really have any need for a regulated mod.

So far, I flat love the mod, I've had no issues whatsoever. Light weight, sturdy, holds up in tropical heat, feels good in my hand, comfortable in my jeans pocket. Time will tell as far as durability, but at this price it doesn't to last forever to be a great deal.

I highly recommend that anyone buying this mod spend another $10 or so to get a decent BF atty.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Kind of late to the party, but I'll throw in my two cents worth. I got the Terminator from FT along with a Hobo v3 clone. The Owl atty just didn't do it for me. I tried dual coils in the Hobo, 26 and 28ga, and ended up with a single coil 28ga, the same as I use in my Taifun and Erlkonigins. I use dual coils in my Magma, but for some reason the single works better for me in the Hobo. With the 26ga dual coils the battery life was pathetic, and the vape quality deteriorated rapidly. With the single 28ga one battery lasts all day with no real loss of quality. I'm lucky, my sweet spot for vaping is about 1.2-1.6ohms and 3.7-3.4volts, anything in that range is good. So I don't really have any need for a regulated mod.

So far, I flat love the mod, I've had no issues whatsoever. Light weight, sturdy, holds up in tropical heat, feels good in my hand, comfortable in my jeans pocket. Time will tell as far as durability, but at this price it doesn't to last forever to be a great deal.

I highly recommend that anyone buying this mod spend another $10 or so to get a decent BF atty.

I like this Smokeless Owl Squonker and I have improved mine as I installed a Radio Shack momentary

switch and changed the battery to a small---18350 by gluing in a battery contact from an old cheap

battery charger--and it works now with no misfires at all.

I had a problem with pressing the firing button and not getting anything.

using it right now as I type this-----have a m4 tiny 2 post atomizer on it with 1.35 ohms......
UnderHood1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessifer

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
someone reviewed on YouTube that the built quality is terrible and unsafe to use. I'm new to mechanical, is it safe to this or what else can I do to improve it, safety.

I bought a terminator and a Reo Grand at the same time, now trying hard to get used to mechanical.
I wouldn't run really low sub ohm builds on it,just because it has thin wires in it,but i see nothing unsafe about the mod.The Reo clone can handle a decent sub ohm build though,i run mine at .4 ohms.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Thanks bro. I come across something call "Tiny high current resettable fuse (by TE Connectivity) " Would that be necessary ?

Tiny high current resettable fuse (by TE Connectivity)

It probably would not hurt to have this fuse in line-----but I don't build much below .60 and it seems to stay cool and no problems........

if I was going to build Extreme coils for the OWL---down below .50 and really hit the button often then I would probably be concerned with putting a fuse in line.

My Radio Shack Momentary switch says 3 amps on it--but if you don't work it too hard then it performs nicely.

I actually used the high temp insulated wire from an old burned out flat iron in the Squonker---

the wire was a silver color..In the pic a few posts back the white wire.you can see it lays

close to the tubing and comes thru a hole in the plastic top portion of the OWL. this is silver

on the inside and high temp white on the outside stays cool all the time.....

Last edited:

bky16

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2015
Hong Kong
Well noted what you are suggesting. I don't build anything below 0.5 ohm myself.

I've no experience with a mech mod until I start squonking. I'm worrying, for example, what if the coil touches the wall of the atty by accident, hence causing short circuit. I don't know wether I'm being ridiculous, cause I'm no electrician.

Thanks for being so patient.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Well noted what you are suggesting. I don't build anything below 0.5 ohm myself.

I've no experience with a mech mod until I start squonking. I'm worrying, for example, what if the coil touches the wall of the atty by accident, hence causing short circuit. I don't know wether I'm being ridiculous, cause I'm no electrician.

Thanks for being so patient.

That's okay people helping people and having fun vaping is what- ECF--is all about. When you build a coil in a dripper the positive end of the coil is in the middle

post and the negative end of the coil is at the far left post or the far right post and so even if you are touching a little ground 2 ground is not going to

hurt anything at all.........If your atty is getting extra warm check the clearance of the coil to see if it is positioned away from the outside wall a tiny bit.

---feel free to ask questions to anyone here as we are glad to help out and if you don't want everybody to see your questions and

answers just click the Avatar of the person you are talking with and when little window comes up click on----------> "Start A Conversation" <--------------- and you

will be sending a private message to the person and sometimes this is a more comfortable way to correspond..............

Good Luck...........thetrucker

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
someone reviewed on YouTube that the built quality is terrible and unsafe to use. I'm new to mechanical, is it safe to this or what else can I do to improve it, safety.

I bought a terminator and a Reo Grand at the same time, now trying hard to get used to mechanical.

Is that someone on Youtube, a someone you KNOW and RESPECT? These are $25 mods. One is a clone of a $150 Mod.

I have the Owl/Terminator.. Build quality, Not perfect, but I only paid $25. Gives me $125 to play with fixing the problems. Heavier gauge wiring and maybe a switch cost maybe $5.

As for Safety, the Owl is a $25 plastic wired "mechanical" mod. It's as safe as any other such wired mechanical mod. After-all the ONLY safety device you get with such a mod is the HUMAN BRAIN. Otherwise with a mech, you are sucking on a pipe bomb. FWIW, with a fancy regulated mod, the bomb part is not eliminated, only the PIPE is. It's just harder to make the smoke come out of a regulated mod.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
I like this Smokeless Owl Squonker and I have improved mine as I installed a Radio Shack momentary

switch and changed the battery to a small---18350 by gluing in a battery contact from an old cheap

battery charger--and it works now with no misfires at all.

I had a problem with pressing the firing button and not getting anything.

using it right now as I type this-----have a m4 tiny 2 post atomizer on it with 1.35 ohms...... View attachment 491811
Pretty hard core solution for the switch. The only annoyance I've had with the switch is if it isn't spot on the unlocked position it hangs and clicks before firing. If it is centered it works smooth as silk and always fires. I had a .3ohm dual coil build on the Hobo and had no problems with the mod but the Hobo got pretty hot. I much prefer the vape from the 1.4ohm single coil I'm using now.

I've got a Derringer top cap on order that is supposed to fit on the Owl atty base. Nothing wrong with vape from the Owl base, it's just sucking on that ridiculous humongous cone I can't get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread