25/38g SS Clapton Build possible?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Salvage

Jan 30, 2017
Hi guys, hope all are well here?!

I make my own dual coils from SS316L normally, and do ok, happy with that for me. But for a change I thought I'd try a new SS build so ordered some 317L, and the nice chaps sent me some free 304 (damn it's thin). All sounds good as I like SS and can TC.

So, my question, what would a 25g 317L core with 38g 304 wrap be like? Should I just try? lol Never built a clapton, about to borrow neighbours drill :)

Thanks for any tips

Anthony

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
If you're only using one piece of core and your tension on the spool is a little off the wrap will be more likely to slide off. When you start your clapton get about 1/4" and double it back on it's self and do the same at the end. As you wrap it it's under tension and when you cut the spool off the tension is gone so it recoils making the wrap just a tad bigger. Less tension helps and so does binding up the ends like that. When I coil things I bend the last 1/8" or so over it's self so the wrap is stuck and can't be pushed off.
Fused clapton isn't nearly as bad about springing back if the tension is right because the wrap and cores are oblong so it can't spin.

Anthony Salvage

Jan 30, 2017
Thanks for the tip, will try that on next attempt. I managed to make one in the end, but used my old 26g SS316L (had the idea that if that is smaller than the 25g i could maybe slide it off that and onto the 25g), somehow it stayed tighter, or it could be that I just got a tad better at it by then lol Need to just make more, might try that fused one like you said. So anyway, made a dual build that comes out at .19ohm...exactly the same ohms as my old normal dual build :) But I must say, the flavour does seem more intense and defo more cloud.

Guess I should return my neighbours drill and go buy my own for future lol

Anthony

Any tips on what TCR to choose? Need to read up about that, at moment it's .00101 on smok TFV4(TF-R2).

Anthony Salvage

Jan 30, 2017
Yeah, have been doing that, but I wondered if having a clapton with 2 types changed things, but from what I read I guess I just stick to the inner coil type.

And here is attempt 2 at my claptons lol I read that you don;t need the outer wire all way to the screws, so will have a smal gap there but hope will be ok

PS - I hate 38g wire, it was free so good to learn - but is bloody thinner than my hair!

Attachments

• Clapton v2.jpg
    Clapton v2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 24

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
To make good clapton make sure your core spins true. Wobble will make it very difficult.
Get your wrap started and keep the spool horizontal and about 8" or more from the core. Keep it perpendicular or slightly ahead of the wrap then open the drill up.
More tension will make it recoil more. 38g needs very little tension to fuse.
Before you coil it bend the core over the wrap on both ends so it can't push off.
Eventually it'll feel like massive wire if you progress to exotic coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread