26650 Battery Bench Test Results and New Ratings Table

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Jan 20, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The batteries I tested can change what's underneath the wrap at any time. Since there are no 26650's from Samsung, Sony, or LG available to us we are at risk even if the battery is not being counterfeited.

The 26650 testing is done and the new ratings table and pulse performance data is available at: 26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

This results are presented in a new table. Be sure to read the explanations (bottom of the table) for each column's data.

I want to thank Jon at Liion Wholesale for donating, for testing, a set of the latest version of the Efest Purple 4200mAh cells.

There were a few surprises during testing! Here are some thoughts...
    • To speed up the testing, only a 15A continuous current discharge was done to check for cell-to-cell consistency and to estimate the continuous current rating.
    • There were only five different cells being used by these battery companies for the seventeen 26650's that were tested.
    • The highest continuous current rating I set was 25A (estimated). I'll be able to set definite continuous ratings when I do the continuous current tests in a few weeks.
    • Good news for VF Stout owners! Most of the top performing 26650's are also the shorter ones so they will fit.
    • At 15A continuous, most of the 3500mAh-4500mAh cells had much higher voltages and longer run times (higher capacity) than the 5200mAh cells. The very high internal resistance of the 5200mAh cells make them unsuitable for use at over a few amps in my opinion.
    • The Efest Purple 5200mAh and Imren Orange 3600mAh had large differences in performance between the two cells of each I tested. This means I couldn't know which, if any, represented the performance of the typical cell you might buy. Any test results from these two cells were not included in the table. All the Efests in these tests were verified as genuine.
    • The Efest Purple 4200 had one dud cell but three others I had were very consistent so I included the test data in the table. All four were verified as genuine. The dud cell was not one of the ones donated by Liion Wholesale. I am testing another four soon and will recommend them if there are no problems.
    • The internal resistance (IR) of these 26650's ranged from a bit lower than a 25R/VTC5/VTC4/HG2 all the way up to almost three times higher. The higher IR cells had very low voltages when being discharged which resulted in very short run times before hitting my 3.0V and 2.5V cutoffs.
    • The 3500mAh-4500mAh cells actually had greater run times (capacity) down to 3.0V than the 5200mAh cells when discharged at 15A continuous or 20A (and higher) pulsed.
    • The 3000mAh LG HG2 was a better performer than about six of the 26650's. Otherwise, the lower internal resistance 26650's still beat out the HG2 due to their greater capacity.

3500mAh-4500mAh 26650 Discharges at 15A Continuous
    image.jpg

5200mAh 26650 Discharges at 15A Continuous
    image.jpg

Top Performers (in alphabetical order)
    • AWT Yellow 75A 4500mAh
    • Basen Black 4500mAh
    • Brillipower Green 80A 4500mAh
    • Efest Green 20A 4200mAh
    • Efest Purple 40A 4200mAh (Not recommended yet due to the one dud cell)
    • MNKE Orange 35A 3500mAh (NOT RECOMMENDED, due to all the fakes being sold)
    • MXJO Yellow 35A 3500mAh
    NOTE: I'm getting another four Efest Purple 4200mAh cells to test. If all four do well I'll add that battery to the recommended list (except for Stout owners, might be too long).

Continued in the following posts due to ECF's limit of 10 images per post...

2. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Individual Test Results and Comments Follow

AWT Yellow 75A 4500mAh
    While it has a preposterous 75A rating it is a good 25A continuous (estimated) cell that is in the top five for the 26650's I tested. Its long length of 67.5mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Basen Black 4500mAh
    This cell only has an exaggerated 60A pulse rating on the wrap with no continuous rating to be found on the Basen web site. When pulsed at 50A the voltage started at under 3.0V and soon dropped off from there. This is clearly not a 60A pulse cell. But it was one of the top five 26650's I tested and I gave it a 25A continuous (estimated) rating. Its length of 66.4mm means it should fit in the VF Stout without problems

4. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Brillipower Green 80A 4500mAh
    While it has a preposterous 80A rating it is a good 25A continuous (estimated) cell that is in the top five for the 26650's I tested. Its length of 66.3mm means it should fit in the VF Stout without problems.

5. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    AWT Red 45A 5200mAh
    It did a little better than the other 5200mAh cells but it's 45A rating is hugely exaggerated. This is only a 10A continuous (estimated) cell with a much lower voltage under load and shorter run time than most of the 4200mAh-4500mAh cells. Its long length of 67.4mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

jurdanas, Ariel_MX, Hitcat44 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Efest Purple 32A 3500mAh
    This cell's performance was in the middle of the 26650's I tested. It's 32A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a 20A continuous (estimated) rating. Its long length of 67.4mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

jurdanas, Ariel_MX, Hitcat44 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Efest Green 20A 4200mAh
    This cell was one of the top five performers and I gave it a continuous rating of 25A (continuous), higher than the rating on the wrap! Its length of 66.5mm means it should fit in the VF Stout without problems.

jurdanas, jmercury1, Ariel_MX and 4 others like this.
  8. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Efest Purple 40A 4200mAh
    One of the two cells I purchased performed much worse than the others. The other three, including the two from Liion Wholesale, were very consistent though so pulse testing was done. All four cells were confirmed as authentic. Buy at your own risk, I do not know how many bad cells are out there. The good cells were in the top five best performing of this group of 26650's though. I gave it a continuous rating of 25A (estimated). Its long length of 67.4mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

NOTE: I'm getting another four Efest Purple 4200mAh cells to test. If all four do well I'll add that battery to the recommended list (except for Stout owners, might be too long).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Efest Purple 15A 5200mAh
    Could not test. The difference in performance between the two cells I had was too large to know what the average performance might be. Pulse testing was not done. Its long length of 67.6mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jurdanas, Ariel_MX, Hitcat44 and 3 others like this.
  10. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Imren Orange 60A 3600mAh
    Could not test. The difference in performance between the two cells I had was too large to know what the average performance might be. Pulse testing was not done. Its long length of 67.5mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Keeppower Black 30A 4200mAh
    This cell's performance was in the middle of the 26650's I tested. It's 30A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a 20A continuous (estimated) rating. Its long length of 67.5mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

12. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Keeppower Black 20A 5200mAh
    This cell's performance was at the bottom of the 26650's I tested. It's 20A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a 10A continuous (estimated) rating. Its long length of 67.6mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

13. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Kidney Puncher 20A 4000mAh
    This cell's performance was in the middle of the 26650's I tested. It's 20A rating is accurate and I gave it a 20A continuous (estimated) rating. Its long length of 67.6mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    MNKE Orange 35A 3500mAh (narrow line spacing)
    This was one of the better performing cells I tested. It's 35A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a continuous rating of 25A. Its length of 65.8mm means it is the shortest 26650 I tested and should fit in the VF Stout without problems.

muth, Ariel_MX, Hitcat44 and 3 others like this.
  15. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    MXJO Yellow 35A 3500mAh
    This was one of the better performing cells I tested. It's 35A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a continuous rating of 25A. Its short length of 66.5mm means it should fit in the VF Stout without problems.

Ariel_MX, Hitcat44, Rossum and 2 others like this.
  16. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Orbtronic 20A 5200mAh
    This cell's performance was near the bottom of the 26650's I tested. It's 20A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a 10A continuous (estimated) rating. Its long length of 67.6mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

17. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Vappower Green 40A 4200mAh
    This cell's performance was in the middle of the 26650's I tested. It's 40A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a 20A continuous (estimated) rating. Its longer length of 67.2mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

18. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So no 26650s with cdr as high as the LG hb6?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Eric Auer likes this.
  19. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Vappower Green 20A 5200mAh
    This cell's performance was near the bottom of the 26650's I tested. It's 20A rating is exaggerated and I gave it a 10A continuous (estimated) rating. Its long length of 67.6mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device

*****END OF TEST RESULTS*****

20. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Not in my estimates based on a 15A discharge. 25A was my max estimated CDR. One or more might make it to 30A when I do the full suite of continuous current tests in a few weeks.

dems86, Rossum, Eric Auer and 4 others like this.