3,452 Parents and Grandparents urge President Obama to protect children from all tobacco products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toastyroadie

Mar 18, 2015
CO, USA
Do we want to turn teens loose with subohm setups with 100+ watt mods? And I do not care what anyone says vaping is not safer than not vaping. It is safer than smoking but not totally safe.

Hmmm, I don't believe your opinion, got anything to back it up? Sounds like you're just making an assumption. I actually quit analogs almost 5 years ago and got into vaping recently for the medicinal benefit of PG/VG and nicotine. :headbang::vapor:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If most people are too ignorant to see the difference, the answer is not to accept their ignorance, it is to educate as many as possible.
Yes, this.

If you choose not to, I advise you ignore the Media and General News, and Legislation sub forums.
What's good for the goose, eh?
:thumb:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If most people are too ignorant to see the difference, the answer is not to accept their ignorance, it is to educate as many as possible.

If you don't believe that there are some teens who will choose smoking OR vaping, I advise you never procreate. For those who will choose one or the other, I will continue to advocate for the less(nearly 100%) harmful alternative. If you choose not to, I advise you ignore the Media and General News, and Legislation sub forums.

I don't even think it's 'most people' - so many here try to push through the ad populum fallacy. There is no 'society at large' - it's just individuals. There may be some consensus of individuals but I don't even agree with that. All the people I know, smokers, non-smokers - would say I'd rather see you vaping than smoking.

Where the so called "majority" against ecigs exists, is in health care, specifically TC field, gov't and the main stream media, which sometimes makes it look like a majority.... and the people who think that anything the main stream media says is true and want to be part of the false majority - mainly the faux non-conforming, (but obsessively conforming) youth and liberals in general.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
What's assumed to be the 'majority' in this case, and in most cases, is the group with the biggest megaphone.
Simply that they happen to be the the loudest group doesn't mean they're right, just that they're the loudest.
It's amazing that people don't understand this basic distinction.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
What's assumed to be the 'majority' in this case, and in most cases, is the group with the biggest megaphone.
Simply that they happen to be the the loudest group doesn't mean they're right, just that they're the loudest.
It's amazing that people don't understand this basic distinction.

And if you're a conformist (in order to have some opinion on something, rather than your own) then you're going to fall for what is posted as the "majority opinion". 99% of the people at one time thought the earth was flat. And they felt very 'comfortable' in saying so :facepalm: :laugh: ... even smug. :lol:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't even think it's 'most people' - so many here try to push through the ad populum fallacy. There is no 'society at large' - it's just individuals. There may be some consensus of individuals but I don't even agree with that. All the people I know, smokers, non-smokers - would say I'd rather see you vaping than smoking.

Where the so called "majority" against ecigs exists, is in health care, specifically TC field, gov't and the main stream media, which sometimes makes it look like a majority.... and the people who think that anything the main stream media says is true and want to be part of the false majority - mainly the faux non-conforming, (but obsessively conforming) youth and liberals in general.

Normally I would agree with you, even though I am one of those dreaded liberals. Unfortunately I don't think this is true for tobacco. While many are open to the idea of THR when you have a one on one conversation with them, the notion that smoking is akin to forcing nuns to kill puppies is deeply ingrained in our society as a whole. Even many smokers AND vapers have a deep seeded hatred of tobacco, and are convinced there has to be something harmful about vaping, because it resembles smoking. When questioned, they are hard pressed to come up with any factual evidence for this idea, but many are still unable to let go of it.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Perhaps I should post some Czech public opinion polls, as they would be as relevant as polling data from the UK is to this thread...

Here's one from the US--

Americans don't want kids vaping...

tobaccofreekids
.org/content/press_office/2015/2015_04_14_poll_presentation.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
http://www.ajpmonline.org/pb/assets/raw/Health Advance/journals/amepre/PIIS074937971400107X.pdf

Two-Thirds of Americans OK With E-Cig Use In Their Personal Space, Survey Finds | Business Wire

Study Reveals the Public's Overestimation E-Cigarette Risks

E-cigarette vapor not annoying to most Americans, national study finds

While searching for those I found this unrelated but funny article pointing out how the "flavors are to attract kids" is straight-up manipulation to sway public opinion :

E-Cig Flavors … for Kids?

And the gullible, can't-think-for-themselves public are buying it, in disturbing numbers.

Something else I noticed while searching for public opinion on vaping and ecigs - go back a year or two and most articles indicate the public is in favor (obviously understanding, to some degree, that it MUST be less harmful than smoking). Fast forward to today and those numbers are flipping. Sad.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
That might actually be useful knowledge... if anyone in America had any idea what a kg is or how a human's body weight translates to kg. Try pounds... that's what we all know. Speaking in metric helps no one -- unless you're discussing ejuice bottles. :)

Andria
I kilo is 2.2 pounds the entire world is metric, get with the program.:pervy:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Something else I noticed while searching for public opinion on vaping and ecigs - go back a year or two and most articles indicate the public is in favor (obviously understanding, to some degree, that it MUST be less harmful than smoking). Fast forward to today and those numbers are flipping. Sad.

This is what I find interesting. Despite the activists, public opinion concerning vaping in the US is getting worse the longer vaping has been around. Perhaps the Walmart vapers are having an impact...

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
This is what I find interesting. Despite the activists, public opinion concerning vaping in the US is getting worse the longer vaping has been around. Perhaps the Walmart vapers are having an impact...

It must be those people who dare to vape in public. It couldn't possibly be a result of the millions of dollars spent on anti-ecig propaganda, or the unrelenting government backed media storm over stating every remotely ecig related issue.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Normally I would agree with you, even though I am one of those dreaded liberals. Unfortunately I don't think this is true for tobacco.

You were addressing the idea that people would rather see kids vaping than smoking.... so my comments were about that, not about tobacco. But re: tobacco I tend to agree - re: what most people think - even with dreaded liberals :laugh: However, I don't agree with the fear mongering they buy into.

renacer

Jan 27, 2015
Clearwater, FL
Are there scientific reasons you need to be 21 to buy alcohol? Vaping esp with nicotine is not the best choice for children.

No but there's no chance of the drinking age being lowered back down to 18 anytime soon, because groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving lobby to keep it that way and even if you oppose irrational zealots for good reasons you get the response "so you're for drunk driving?!?!?!"

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
It must be those people who dare to vape in public. It couldn't possibly be a result of the millions of dollars spent on anti-ecig propaganda, or the unrelenting government backed media storm over stating every remotely ecig related issue.

Voting has consequences. The 'progressive' vapers will get what they deserve in the end...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread