• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

316L Stainless Steel dual coil build

Status
Not open for further replies.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
No not the same thing.. Marrying the batts simply means to use and charge them as a pair from new, just rotating left/right slots.. LiPo need a bit more than that.. The connector is different as well. 1 connector to 2 or more cells, there is another balance plug, so the charger can balance the charge rate to all cells in a balanced manner..
That is for RC batteries.. Same LiPo batts, but Not sure if it's the same connection used for mods or not, as I have not seen in person.. Yet ;)

1TA2F

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Little Red Dot
No not the same thing.. Marrying the batts simply means to use and charge them as a pair from new, just rotating left/right slots.. LiPo need a bit more than that.. The connector is different as well. 1 connector to 2 or more cells, there is another balance plug, so the charger can balance the charge rate to all cells in a balanced manner..
That is for RC batteries.. Same LiPo batts, but Not sure if it's the same connection used for mods or not, as I have not seen in person.. Yet ;)

Icic. Thanks for clarifying! Haha

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
U guys experience any break-in time for ss coils? Made a 24g 8 wraps on 3.0 id. Came out at 0.33ohm. Passed the cotton test,but seems to have a metallic taste?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
hot legs probably (try to tension the legs more during mounting)

Reactions: cloudysheep

smokyribs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
California
Problem with SS is that it's still a relatively new material as far as the purpose of it being used as a heating element in Vaping is considered.

A lot of wire companies are selling spools of SS for cheap and we don't even know the quality of the wires.

For example, on the DNA200, the steamengine .csv profile for their 316L is actually based on the Gplat Elite 316L SS (material datasheet here:
http://www.crownalloys.com/MSDS/MSDS-STAINLESSSTEEL-BARE_2.pdf)

Based on the .csv settings, the TFR of thr Gplat 316L is actually giving an anaemic vape when i used UD's 316L.

Luckily, thanks to Jaquith on DNA200 forums, i was finally able to get the UD316L working properly on TC. He did a couple of trial and error testing by tweaking the original steamengine .csv for 316L.

In my opinion, it is critical in a wire designed as a heating element that the companies focus on resistive deviation and consistency.

The gauge, uniformity of the cross sections across the length of the wire as well as the iron distribution are all critical. In my opinion, micro scope cross sections of the wires should be done to look at distribution of buffers. That way, wire manufacturers can ship out spools of wires with good resistive conductivity.

In fact, it would be great if these wire companies could do more testing and come up with their own sets of TCR values for their products (as far as SS is concerned).

If not, TC on SS is gonna be pretty much a frustrating wild guess. But thats just my opinion lol.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I know this is a stale thread, but maybe the video in my post will help someone get their Koopor Plus 200W going with SS 316L.

I had the same problems with my Smok Koopor Plus 200W using 316L. With the TCR set at 92 or 88 it was a hot air vape with boiling and crackling from the coil even when the coil and wick were saturated.

One YouTube reviewer (video below) contacted Smok tech support and they suggested a different TCR value for 316L that didn't work. He experimented and found that 75 worked fine. I haven't experimented further, but his demonstration with TCR at 75 was spot on. I just found this video today.

Last edited:

avex30

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks for sharing i just started on SS316L using it on cuboid and Vtc mini hmm I did not use the TCR mode just in the normal TC mode.

Setting for temp is about 230'c so far so good for me not hot vapor.

I know this is a stale thread, but maybe the video in my post will help someone get their Koopor Plus 200W going with SS 316L.

I had the same problems with my Smok Koopor Plus 200W using 316L. With the TCR set at 92 or 88 it was a hot air vape with boiling and crackling from the coil even when the coil and wick were saturated.

One YouTube reviewer (video below) contacted Smok tech support and they suggested a different TCR value for 316L that didn't work. He experimented and found that 75 worked fine. I haven't experimented further, but his demonstration with TCR at 75 was spot on. I just found this video today.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks for sharing i just started on SS316L using it on cuboid and Vtc mini hmm I did not use the TCR mode just in the normal TC mode.

Setting for temp is about 230'c so far so good for me not hot vapor.

TCR (Temperature coefficient of resistance) is a setting inside the TC setup that's based on the type of wire you select in the setup and the way it responds to temperature changes. If it works at the default value you are ready to go. If not, then you have to change it to a value that works. Some mods aren't set for the type of wire that you happen to use. Stainless steel comes in half a dozen types and the one that my Koopor Plus is set for is said to be SS 304. For SS 316L I have to change the constant or TCR in my TC setup.

Reactions: avex30

avex30

Jan 4, 2016
i read on reddict someone advise to set TCR for ss316L to 92 so when you say change constant what are the range you have make changes too?

TCR (Temperature coefficient of resistance) is a setting inside the TC setup that's based on the type of wire you select in the setup and the way it responds to temperature changes. If it works at the default value you are ready to go. If not, then you have to change it to a value that works. Some mods aren't set for the type of wire that you happen to use. Stainless steel comes in half a dozen types and the one that my Koopor Plus is set for is said to be SS 304. For SS 316L I have to change the constant or TCR in my TC setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread