3D-printed DNA75 mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
As a proud owner of a new 3d printer, one of the first things I wanted to make was - naturally - a vape mod. This one, I downloaded off thingiverse & did some CAD work to actually make it printable and fit together.

And, just like that, plastic string becomes a usable gizmo with a few hours worth of work...
C4SF5NmUkAMnvfa.jpg C4SF6PCVUAIawRi.jpg C4SF7D2VcAU3kAQ.jpg C4SF8D9VMAIUsdA.jpg

I built my 1st mod 4 years ago almost to the day. That was some serious work, planning, trying, doing & undoing (some documentation on another mod here)... This way is far easier. Let's see FDA try to ban plastic or tax 3d printers as tobacco:pervy:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Excellent job for a recent 3D printer owner.
Most have no idea of the learning curve involved in getting decent prints.
Are you using a Cartesian or Delta printer? (I would guess Delta)
What board / software? (Smoothieware by chance?)
The reason I ask is that I have similar (but smaller) irregularities on the outside perimeters. I didn't have them with Marlin before switching to a Smothieboard, although there were other problems and artifacts that Smoothie did get rid of. I'm going to 0.9 degree steppers and a Duet Wifi board which I have been told will alleviate them.

Reactions: DrMA

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Excellent job for a recent 3D printer owner.
Most have no idea of the learning curve involved in getting decent prints.
Are you using a Cartesian or Delta printer? (I would guess Delta)
What board / software? (Smoothieware by chance?)
The reason I ask is that I have similar (but smaller) irregularities on the outside perimeters. I didn't have them with Marlin before switching to a Smothieboard, although there were other problems and artifacts that Smoothie did get rid of. I'm going to 0.9 degree steppers and a Duet Wifi board which I have been told will alleviate them.
I have the MOD-t from NewMatter. It's a very beginner-friendly printer. All the fancy stuff (slicing) happens automatically on their web service. All the user has to worry about during the CAD work is to create enough clearance between joining parts.

I guess, it's a Cartesian, but the surface artifacts are created by the geared pinions that move the build plate. I'm not sure there's any way to eliminate those with my printer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread