40w Cloud Chasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, been looking for an answer with no luck. Ive got an istick TC40w and a Mutation X V2, would like to get a bit more into cloud chasing. I am well aware there is lots of skill and technique involved, but id like to focus on builds. latley ive been twisting 2 or 3 strands of 28g or 3 to 4 strands of 30g, both kanthal A1. usually do five wraps around a 2.5mm dowel and wick with cotton bacon. Id like to get a stronger mod (75-200w) but finances are tight ATM and for now im stuck with what ive got. any tips or help would be appreciated.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
How experienced are you on using a mech mod?
Using a decent 30 amp CDR cell like the Sony VTC4, LG HB2 or HB6 you can safely generate up to a (theoretical) 110 watts, which should be sufficient to blow some pretty big plumes.
What ever you do do don't use that Efest in this manner. It is a poor quality 20 amp CDR cell, quite possibly less.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
CDR = continuous discharge rate. This value represents the safe level of amps that can be drawn constantly from the cell. For vaping this the only value worth adhering to. Some companies will show pulse ratings on their products. This value should be ignored.

I'm not going to provide proof, you are just going to have to trust me on this. Efest are one of many companies that take B or C grade castoffs from Sony, LG and Samsung, put their own wrappers on them, then inflate the price and specifications. These cells are then aggressively marketed at vapers who trust the specs, and use them way beyond their capabilities. Needless to say this is a truly sh*tty way to do business.

Efest are one of the worst offenders. I personally boycott all their products and encourage others to do the same.

We are in the highly privileged position of having ECF member Mooch, who tests batteries and publishes their true CDR values allowing them to be safely used.
Here is his test of the cell you are using. Initially found to have a 20 amp CDR, he later tested another of the same and found that they had (unannounced) changed the cell under the wrapper to one that only had a 10 amp CDR. Draw 35 amps from a 10 amp cell and you stand a high chance of picking teeth out of your cheeks.

NB. Don't 'toss' any build on a mechanical mod without fully understanding their use. Used incorrectly they can be hazardous. Make sure you do all the required reading and research first. Anything you are unsure of, just ask.

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
sonicbomb has you covered in the mech/battery dept....so I'll add this to building for your Istick....3 or 4 strands of 28 or 30 gauge is alot of metal mass to try to heat up at 40 watts youd be better served building a 2 strand twist or parallel with the 28 6/7 wraps around a 2.5 should get between 0.3 and 0.4 ohms youll have way faster ramp up time and a decent amount of surface area...

Reactions: novaracer69
holy hotcakes I cant believe i didnt realize that cdr=continuous discharge rate. I knew that! BAD VAPER! *SMACK* BAD BAD VAPER lol im well aware of ohm's law and all the safety precautions, but thanks for making sure. when I bought my first mechs (ar-15 clone & Akuma Clone) I spent countless hours researching... of course ohm's law wont do a damn thing if the batterys are marked wrong or misleading. If i could go buy sonys right meow i would.... but ill have to keep my builds low for the time being. the .45 I got on the akuma isnt doing to bad anyway. 22 guage 7/8 wrap (pretty sure, maybe 8/9) micro coil wrapped around ~1.5mm jig/broken drill bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread