Not open for further replies.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Is anyone else using it? I have been as my primary wire material for a few months now, in both power and TC, flavor is clean just like you'd expect from an SS wire but being 100% nickel free I'm able to dry burn it in between wicks... but in TC is where it really shines. I guess it's range is curved enough that keeps it totally consistent in TC mode. I'm just using the unkamen 28g stuff with a csv from steam engine.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else is using it because it's a little bit hard to work with compared to 316L... I've been doing a spaced wrap on a coil master and then scrunching it, but it doesn't come out very good and takes a few tries to get right. Once I get a proper coil though I'm golden for a couple of weeks... Problem is, this stuff is 13 bucks a spool... Does anyone have any tips?

Reactions: Ed_C

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
I have the same exact wire from unkamen. Got it in 22G and 28G. I really wanted the 430 in 24 and 26 gauge but Ralph(from unkamen) doesnt carry it. All Unkamens wire is top quality clean wire though.

Havent used the 28G really at all that I can remember. The 22G Ive had a little success with but it is such a thick wire and you need so many wraps that I had some issues fitting it in smaller atomizers. My next experiement is trying to fit some 3mm dual coils like 13 wraps 22G 430 coils in my aromamizer supreme.

About a year ago I bought this wire along with many other tc wires. I couldnt get the tc to work on my xcube 2 so went back to kanthal after a month or so. Im revisiting all the wires I bought now a year later that I have a new mod, the hohm wrecker G2 although I havent really figured out the tc on this new mod either lol.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Is anyone else using it? I have been as my primary wire material for a few months now, in both power and TC, flavor is clean just like you'd expect from an SS wire but being 100% nickel free I'm able to dry burn it in between wicks... but in TC is where it really shines. I guess it's range is curved enough that keeps it totally consistent in TC mode. I'm just using the unkamen 28g stuff with a csv from steam engine.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else is using it because it's a little bit hard to work with compared to 316L... I've been doing a spaced wrap on a coil master and then scrunching it, but it doesn't come out very good and takes a few tries to get right. Once I get a proper coil though I'm golden for a couple of weeks... Problem is, this stuff is 13 bucks a spool... Does anyone have any tips?
Curious as I haven't used it, in what way is it harder to work with? Springier? I use 316L and do the spaced wraps on the CM as well. I do dry burn 316L though, never had a problem with it...

Reactions: Chris863

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I have the same exact wire from unkamen. Got it in 22G and 28G. I really wanted the 430 in 24 and 26 gauge but Ralph(from unkamen) doesnt carry it. All Unkamens wire is top quality clean wire though.

Really? Mine is always really dirty, I mean I wipe all my wire down with alchohol before use, but this one leaves black residue on my hands when I'm unwinding it.

Curious as I haven't used it, in what way is it harder to work with? Springier? I use 316L and do the spaced wraps on the CM as well. I do dry burn 316L though, never had a problem with it...

Not sure how to describe it, 316L is... softer? 430 is unforgiving. With this wire I usually space and then scrunch rather than micro coil and stretch, seems to be better that way, but I have to space it just right before I scrunch it bc there is no fixing it.

I never dry burn 316L bc of the nickel content & I could always swear I'd see oxide forming on it whenever I tried, plus it would get really brittle.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I have a few spools of the 28ga SS430 from Unkamen.
It is kinda dirty, wipe with an alcohol soaked vaper towel, then again before coiling. After that, it still has some wisps of smoke when I dry burn it after coiling.
The wire is very springy. It doesn't like to stay in place/shape, but if you are patient, it does vape well for a long time with rewicking.
Me? I moved on to NiFe52 for my coils. Better in TC, easy to coil, stays in shape, holds up to a months rewicking before I change the coil. Might last longer than that, it's just what I do.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I have a few spools of the 28ga SS430 from Unkamen.
It is kinda dirty, wipe with an alcohol soaked vaper towel, then again before coiling. After that, it still has some wisps of smoke when I dry burn it after coiling.
The wire is very springy. It doesn't like to stay in place/shape, but if you are patient, it does vape well for a long time with rewicking.
Me? I moved on to NiFe52 for my coils. Better in TC, easy to coil, stays in shape, holds up to a months rewicking before I change the coil. Might last longer than that, it's just what I do.
NiFe is nickel/iron correct? And it is dry burnable? I mean I use that term loosely I know you're technically not supposed to dry burn any wire. I just pulse mine a couple of times under a stream of water.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
NiFe is nickel/iron correct? And it is dry burnable? I mean I use that term loosely I know you're technically not supposed to dry burn any wire. I just pulse mine a couple of times under a stream of water.

NiFe is indeed nickle and iron. I do not dry burn this, it is clean and coils well, so no need.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
NiFe is indeed nickle and iron. I do not dry burn this, it is clean and coils well, so no need.

I have some 25G NiFe52 wire from CrazyWire (NiFe52 Wire)

I actually didnt buy it, a friend PIFed to me to try. Im almost out of Nife52 though and I notice CrazyWire also makes NiFe70 and Nife48. Should I stick to the 52? Have you tried these other types? I know I really liked the clean taste of the Nife52.

On the website I actually didnt see any 25G NiFe52 for sale. Maybe my ECF friend had to do a custom order or something. They have 24G and 26G but no 25G. As you know NiFe52 has a very low resistance so 24G would take even more wraps and 26G is almost too thin of wire. The 25G was perfect even for small build decks(like my 22mm aromamizer)

Have to email the wireandstuff customer service and see if they can accommodate me...

But In the meantime I think Ill vape on these 430 SS Claptons!
*New* Spooled Clapton Wire (26g/30g) (Gr. 430 SS)

The flavor is REALLY good! Its nothing fancy just a regular clapton but wow I am really impressed. I have never seen 430 SS offered before like this. Just regular 430 SS is hard to find but a premade spool of clapton wire of 430 is soooo nice!

Reactions: ShowerHead

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I actually didnt buy it, a friend PIFed to me to try. Im almost out of Nife52 though and I notice CrazyWire also makes NiFe70 and Nife48. Should I stick to the 52? Have you tried these other types? I know I really liked the clean taste of the Nife52.

No, nothing but the NiFe48, though some say it is the same as the 52. Just depends on what alloy you use for the percentage.
When I'm done with this, I may order more, but not from CW. I just don't trust them to send what I ordered any longer.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
No, nothing but the NiFe48, though some say it is the same as the 52. Just depends on what alloy you use for the percentage.
When I'm done with this, I may order more, but not from CW. I just don't trust them to send what I ordered any longer.

Who else even sells NiFe wire? I'd love to find a US vendor. Never bought anything from England. I will say this 25G Nife52 is some really good wire but you have to wipe it real good with rubbing alcohol. Has some leftover machining oil from the mill I think.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I have some 25G NiFe52 wire from CrazyWire (NiFe52 Wire)

On the website I actually didnt see any 25G NiFe52 for sale. Maybe my ECF friend had to do a custom order or something. They have 24G and 26G but no 25G. As you know NiFe52 has a very low resistance so 24G would take even more wraps and 26G is almost too thin of wire. The 25G was perfect even for small build decks(like my 22mm aromamizer)

Have to email the wireandstuff customer service and see if they can accommodate me...

But In the meantime I think Ill vape on these 430 SS Claptons!
*New* Spooled Clapton Wire (26g/30g) (Gr. 430 SS)

The flavor is REALLY good! Its nothing fancy just a regular clapton but wow I am really impressed. I have never seen 430 SS offered before like this. Just regular 430 SS is hard to find but a premade spool of clapton wire of 430 is soooo nice!
Did you try those claptons? I had bad experiences with 316L in TC w/ all the different(wrong) compositions offered by different companies... 430 has been 100% consistent so far.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
yes I tried them with my aromamizer v1, which is only 22mm so it was a really tight fit! Did 5 wraps each around a 3mm mandrel came out to about 0.2 or so in a dual coil. The flavor was noticably good but I will say this wire is just naturally black after using. I need to do further testing in my aromamizer supreme which has a lot more deck room. Feel like the airflow was most likely impacted with such thick wire the coils were right up against the chamber piece. I noticed 430 SS starts out silver in color and then once you glow the coils red, it just naturally gets black. So wire probably is clean as a whistle and that black residue could just be a natural biproduct. I know I clean throughly with isopropyl 91% before using with all wires.

I cant actually recommend these claptons at this time with 100% confidence. At this time I would say im 70% sure you will like them. Later this weekend Ill try to take some closeup pics of the clapton fresh off the spool and then some comparison pics of what it looks like after theyve been fired. Last thing I will say is that advancedvapesupply seems legit. All they sell is Stainless steel wire in all different grades. Last I checked they just had 430 claptons, a bunch of 316L claptons, regular 316L round wire(which I also bought in 24G) Ill let you know how I like their 316L as well. But when they are fully stocked I think they sell other grades like 304 and 317 etc.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
yes I tried them with my aromamizer v1, which is only 22mm so it was a really tight fit! Did 5 wraps each around a 3mm mandrel came out to about 0.2 or so in a dual coil. The flavor was noticably good but I will say this wire is just naturally black after using. I need to do further testing in my aromamizer supreme which has a lot more deck room. Feel like the airflow was most likely impacted with such thick wire the coils were right up against the chamber piece. I noticed 430 SS starts out silver in color and then once you glow the coils red, it just naturally gets black. So wire probably is clean as a whistle and that black residue could just be a natural biproduct. I know I clean throughly with isopropyl 91% before using with all wires.

I cant actually recommend these claptons at this time with 100% confidence. At this time I would say im 70% sure you will like them. Later this weekend Ill try to take some closeup pics of the clapton fresh off the spool and then some comparison pics of what it looks like after theyve been fired. Last thing I will say is that advancedvapesupply seems legit. All they sell is Stainless steel wire in all different grades. Last I checked they just had 430 claptons, a bunch of 316L claptons, regular 316L round wire(which I also bought in 24G) Ill let you know how I like their 316L as well. But when they are fully stocked I think they sell other grades like 304 and 317 etc.
That's weird that they turn black, haven't seen that with unkamen's, ofc buying premade is the only option bc making claptons out of this stuff would be too time consuming & difficult, I mostly do my claptons in 26/30ga 316L. Though claptons have kind of lost their novelty on me, too much work, upkeep, not enough longevity, marginal flavor improvement, I mostly use regular round wire now, but I do use an unwicked fused clapton in my narda for flavor testing...

The 430 is a pita to coil, but the one I have with me on this business trip, I didn't even recoil before I left, just took some cotton with me and it's been lightly dry burned like 6 times, lasted close to a month. For someone like me who's always busy, can't beat that.

Reactions: ShowerHead

scutterflux

Verified Member
Aug 4, 2014
Canada
My favorite wire, 430.
Pros:
Cleanest tasting wire I've tried.
Possibly one of the safest for vaping (no nickel)???
Low resistivity gets you; a) extra wraps or b) super fast ramp time or c) something in between.
Quick to heat and quick to cool down.
Cons:
Not as pliable for coil building, it's springy.
Sometimes distorts shape on a dry burn and need to reshape.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I got some Unk 28g 430 today.
I figured out how to twist it and promptly wasted some trying to fit twisted 3mm coils in my V1 'mizer. I used the rest to make 4mm coils in my Plus. PITA to work with but I'm impressed.
dual 7/6 wraps 4mm came to .26Ω and deliver good vapor & great flavor at 50j 420F TCR @ 138 and 22C compensation (SX350j) - Sally's rayon cellucotton almost full rope width!
I thought I was happy with 70W power mode.
I dropped to 45W-55W since Tuesday due to that aldehyde thread and now 70W power tastes funny to me. I'm glad I got used to a cooler vape because this 430 build seems comparable to 45-55W at least.

Is there a trusted source for 24g & 26ga premium SS430?

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
After working with this stuff for a while I've found out you have to keep your finger in front of it to keep it from springing back on you and warping the coil

Made this video for someone else but it applies to twisted/clapton as well.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I twisted some. I torched it lightly before relieving the tension.
It's not hard to work with when paying attention to it's springiness.
Too many cards BTW.

17191721_1927063590857795_4230891226782074459_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread