• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

5 hits per drip, normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Gonna make it a single coil when I'm due for my next change which is latest tomorrow and update about the experience. Thanks guys.

More details as in? I'm using a 28 gauge kanthan wrapped round the blue screwdriver 5 times giving me about 0.45ohms. But doesn't having more cotton makes your wicking slower? I wicked mine with the cotton being able to e moved about with just a tad bit of resistance.

For a dripper I generally go with the thickest wire and fattest coil that will still work and fit. A typical Ti G1 dual coil build would be 26 AWG, 3.5 mm, 9 wraps, and a wick as long as I can possibly stuff in the juice well without completely blocking airflow under the coil. For Kanthal, same but 24 AWG. I think the blue screwdrivers are about 2 mm.

More cotton holds more juice without leaking out the airholes. ;) I like my juice wells filled with plenty of wet cotton.

Reactions: iSuck

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
Really? Friend, you are going 40w at a 0.6ohm coil. Seriously you getting five good hits is well above average. I would think your build would have a problem if you go way above 5 hits. Drippers are meant to drip. That is why people carry a bottle around. If it frustrates you, I suggest you switch to a tank.

Reactions: iSuck

iSuck

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2015
For a dripper I generally go with the thickest wire and fattest coil that will still work and fit. A typical Ti G1 dual coil build would be 26 AWG, 3.5 mm, 9 wraps, and a wick as long as I can possibly stuff in the juice well without completely blocking airflow under the coil. For Kanthal, same but 24 AWG. I think the blue screwdrivers are about 2 mm.

More cotton holds more juice without leaking out the airholes. ;) I like my juice wells filled with plenty of wet cotton.

Will try that out soon and see how it works for me.

Really? Friend, you are going 40w at a 0.6ohm coil. Seriously you getting five good hits is well above average. I would think your build would have a problem if you go way above 5 hits. Drippers are meant to drip. That is why people carry a bottle around. If it frustrates you, I suggest you switch to a tank.

Yup it's kinda frustrating when comes the time where you'll want to chain vape so many times. But I figured tanks might pose an issue as well when Chain vaping?

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
Yup it's kinda frustrating when comes the time where you'll want to chain vape so many times. But I figured tanks might pose an issue as well when Chain vaping?

Nope. Not when you are on temperature control setup. Even on kanthal build when I wick and build my setup nicely, I can go for like 8-10 hits without dry hits. Always remember this to get a constant good vape - "Long drags, less hits. Short drags, more hits".

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
I reckon a nice bottle like u-can makes dripping easier on the go. How often do u guys recoil or rewick?

When I feel like I need to change the coil, or setup. Otherwise, I only rewick, I do not recoil if it is a wonderful coil already. I simply wash and clean the coil to make it brand new. Washing and cleaning your coil will not only make it as good as the first time it is, but may make it even better.

iSuck

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2015
Nope. Not when you are on temperature control setup. Even on kanthal build when I wick and build my setup nicely, I can go for like 8-10 hits without dry hits. Always remember this to get a constant good vape - "Long drags, less hits. Short drags, more hits".

I'm using TC for normal vaping and only on wattage mode when I want more clouds. yea and I usually take long deep drags cos more shiok.

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
0.07ohms? On a single coil? What gauge kanthal are you using? And I fiddled with the ohm calculator and figured that dual parallel would allow for a cooler vape as well?

He isn't using kanthal wires. Kanthal wires will not work for TC mode. You need to get nickel wires instead. Dual parallel builds are usually used in RDAs for cloud chasers. And no, it will give you a hot vape and very low ohms. I currently have a 0.25ohm dual parallel (5 wraps each) on my RDA.

It will be advisable for you to watch and read up on more reviews before trying out.

iSuck

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2015
Idk if it's just my mod of my build but, earlier on I tried building a single coil on a 3 post RDA and the coils are having hot spots all over. Are 3 posts RDA not meant for single coil? And I did a 6 coils on a 28 gauge kanthal aiming for a 1ish ohm but it seem to be that the single coil 1.1ohm glows so so so much brighter than a 1.8ohm parallel dual coils. Any ideas?

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
I would suggest you read up on power distribution. A simple would be that on dual parallel power is split into 2 whereas a single coil absorbs the full effect. Also as Voltage=Resistance*I(current), Power=I(current)*Voltage. Mainly we'll be using I=V/R and P=I*V for simplicity sake

Voltage remains the same on parallel whereas current is split.
The same is inverted when they are in series where voltage drops and current is same in series. (This applies mostly on dual battery mod where batteries are in series)

edit: Also to heat dual coils to the same heat as single coil should in theory use 2x as much power however a lot of other factors comes into play (personal preference etc)

edit edit: Also as to resistance, resistance in parallel is actually (sum of all resistance)/(number of resistance) aka average of sum of resistance (this is what years of engineering gave to me haha)

Last edited:

javafreak

Aug 13, 2015
Earth
6f1cd0f4ffa44ef37ecbf114e2800dc8.jpg

This is my single coil rda build, in case you need a reference. This is 28g, running 1.7 ohms I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread