5-volt Mods for Cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
Anyone found good 5-volt options for use with cartomizers?

I'm currently using a Kensington Portable Battery Pack with my VK passthrough as my primary around the house and at work. It works great and is reasonably portable, except of course for the dangling wire. batteries, even the extra long, don't perform as well as the PT (though the XL comes close). But, I fall back to batteries when I'm out and about and don't want to deal with the wire.

I've considered a Protege, but it appears to be 3.7V only. I like the idea of something fairly slim.

Any ideas?

Side note: I've ordered adapters for my Puresmoker USB Pass for use in my truck. I like the ruggedability it offers, and it will be my permanent solution while driving.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I hear PS will be providing adaptors for the cartomizer soon. And the Prodigy V2 will be new and slimmer than the original plus it will be a 5v battery mod. Your answers will be coming soon. The Protege is only a 3.7v device but it is a very nice mod for sure. I think it may be a better suited mod for the cartomizer. I use mine for those with adaptors from the manual 901 batteries. You have to put a small hole in the side for this to work. Vapor Country sells this already done for you but I think they are out of stock on that item. Check back for that or drill out one for yourself.

PS... The Puresmoker products are worth waiting for too. Very rugged design and should last you for a long long time.

abhowe

Moved On
Sep 14, 2009
GLV offers a 5.0 volt PV..... I just ordered it..... Read reviews and saw a video..... It looks awesome....... They offer a 3.7 and a larger 5.0 volt version......
I currently enjoy carrying a Titan 510 with the Kensington PassThrough 5.0 portable power pack...... I enjoy it, except for the dangling wire.....

I am looking forward to receiving my GLV 5.0 PV...... I currently have the magnificient GG Transformer, soon to have the AFS..... I think between the GG and the GLV, I will have the best of both worlds.......

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Yeah, Vapor Country was out of those adapters when I ordered, so I ordered the 901 battery extender instead. Had PS announced they would be making cartomizer-specific adapters sooner, I'd have waited, but this solution should work just as well.

I'll keep my eye out for the Prodigy V2.
Don't forget to mention that you need to dremel out a tiny hole in the 901 battery extender for the cartomizer to work with proper ventilation ;)

That's good news about PS.
WOW did your Bird talk you into visiting the ECF again..hehe

csteve

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
North & South America
GLV offers a 5.0 volt PV..... I just ordered it..... Read reviews and saw a video..... It looks awesome....... They offer a 3.7 and a larger 5.0 volt version......
I currently enjoy carrying a Titan 510 with the Kensington PassThrough 5.0 portable power pack...... I enjoy it, except for the dangling wire.....

I am looking forward to receiving my GLV 5.0 PV...... I currently have the magnificient GG Transformer, soon to have the AFS..... I think between the GG and the GLV, I will have the best of both worlds.......

GLV?? GG?? Alphabetic abbreviations are problematic for those of us just learning. I'm interested in a 5.o volt mod., but I have No Idea what vendor you're referring to. :confused:

Thanks!!

csteve

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
Anyone found good 5-volt options for use with cartomizers?

I'm currently using a Kensington Portable Battery Pack with my VK passthrough as my primary around the house and at work. It works great and is reasonably portable, except of course for the dangling wire. Batteries, even the extra long, don't perform as well as the PT (though the XL comes close). But, I fall back to batteries when I'm out and about and don't want to deal with the wire.

I've considered a Protege, but it appears to be 3.7V only. I like the idea of something fairly slim.

Any ideas?

Side note: I've ordered adapters for my Puresmoker USB Pass for use in my truck. I like the ruggedability it offers, and it will be my permanent solution while driving.

cartomizers do not respond well to high voltage..the passthrough is borderline of course it doesnt get anything like 5v after that long skinny wire knocks it down..then when you hit the button with a cart on, if you measure the voltage you'll get about 4.4 or thats what i got on mine when i decided to test that...great with a good full cart..instant incineration with one thats gettin dry therefore my recommendation is:

5v+ at your own risk on cartomizers..they just aren't built for it.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
cartomizers do not respond well to high voltage..the passthrough is borderline of course it doesnt get anything like 5v after that long skinny wire knocks it down..then when you hit the button with a cart on, if you measure the voltage you'll get about 4.4 or thats what i got on mine when i decided to test that...great with a good full cart..instant incineration with one thats gettin dry therefore my recommendation is:

5v+ at your own risk on cartomizers..they just aren't built for it.

You raise a good point KC, but it depends on whether the mod uses a regulator or a series resistor. What it boils down to is how much current is being passed thru the heating coil. What I'm interested in is a mod that will provide the same performance I get with the passthrough on the Kensington, in a compact hand-held package.

I'm not able to measure the actual voltage produced at the cartomizer (yet), but I just made some quick-and-dirty current measurements, comparing the VK passthrough to the Puresmoker. The PS uses relatively heavy wire, so voltage drop should be minimal (assumption alert!).

The VK draws 1.33A with a 5V input, and the PS draws 1.39A. Not really much difference, however, there's something else interesting.

The PS passthru is basicly nothing more than a straight wire with a series switch. If you measure the resistance from the USB side with the switch pressed, you get the resistance of the cartomizer. The same is not true for the VK, it is on the order of 10k ohms. This suggests to me that there is an active component in the VK, but no idea what without dissecting my passthrough.

Last edited:

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
I use VK/KR808 carts on my SB at 6v (I had to modify the 901 adapter by drilling some 1/16" holes in the thread base for airflow), and I have to say that most of what I vape tastes fantastic at 6v.

The stock filled carts are very hit and miss at 6v. Some taste really good, some don't change (except to get warmer vapor and better throat hit), and some taste a little aerosally (is that a word?).

However, after refilling with other juices, especially juices that I mix myself, the vapor output, taste, and throat hit are exceptional. I've been doing this for 2 weeks now, and I have yet to burn up a cart, although it is prolly quite easy if you don't stop right when vapor output stops. I don't know if I will be getting reduced life from the carts, I assume that I would, since it has been noted that they are really built for 3.7v, but honestly, if I get 5-6 refills per cart, I'll be a happy camper. And so far it looks like I'm on track to get at least that many refills already.

It changes the way you vape a cart though for sure. It's no longer necessary to take really slow drags as is typical of 808's, you can take a much faster drag and get superb vapor and taste, which, of course, decreases the overall time the cart is active. So, instead of a 5-8 second typical drag time, I'm really hitting mine from 3-5 seconds or less, depending on the juice mix.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Hey! I am not new and GLV was a new one to me too! LOL I need to get out more!
The new mod at Vapor Country is 3.7..that should be ok for cartomizers right?
I find that the manual passtrus are fine, but the auto passthrus eat right through cartomizers. I have both KR808 and 901 passthrus..both in manual and auto.
The cartomizers work well with a mini pipe..with adapters of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread