#500 SS Mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

chieftechnicalwizard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Atlanta
If you want juice to flow going down by gravity, a loose wick with with a big hole flows the best but that is not true wicking. That is gravitational flow.
Wicking (capillary action) defined as a fluid rising against gravity is best with a tight dense 400 ss wick with a very small center hole.
I am now using # 500 ss on all my lines and it is twice as efficient at wicking as #400.
In a simple lab test I put 3 inch same dia wicks in 2 inches of VG and 3 more in 2 inches of PG and 3 in 2 inches of kerosine. This new test I used 325, 400, 500 SS mesh. The kerosine only rose 1/16 in on the 325 and not measurable with PG or VG. I put a little dab of cotton on the top tip of each wick to see when it got wet. With kerosine the cotton got wet almost immediately on both 400 and 500, pg took 2 min to wet the cotton on 400 and and less than a minute on the 500, the VG took about 30 seconds longer on each. Using small jars with a hole in the metal cap for the wick I made mini kerosine burners. Even with prewetting the 325 it would not maintain a flame. The flame on the 500 was twice the size of the flame on the 400 and consumed the kerosine in half the time. All were 45mm rolled by 3 inches long, rolled tight on a thin paperclip. All rolled mesh to 2.5 mm dia,
In an earlier lab experiment I did a three #400 wicks 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, rolled to 2.5 mm dia and on the kerosine lamp test each progressively maintained a larger flame.
From my simple tests I concluded.
More density in the wicks provided more wicking and therefore more juice to the coil
comparing oranges to oranges
PG will rise higher in a 400 mesh than on a 325 mesh.
Vg will rise higher in a 400 mesh than on a 325 mesh.
On the same 400 wick PG will rise higher than VG because of cohesion forces, but it will not rise higher on 325 than on 400,
And now all rise higher and faster on 500 mesh

I love this! Thank you for taking the time to prove your theory and then share your results. This explains why my SS mesh rewicking of things has me so disappointed, I went with 325 holes per inch from McMaster Carr here local and I am not using nearly enough width! Both with ViVi Nova rebuilds, and when I made a U shaped wick for my RATank. Cool down/wick catch-up breaks and tipping made them both usable, however not satisfying.

So be it, we learn from the failures...

Jan G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
If you want juice to flow going down by gravity, a loose wick with with a big hole flows the best but that is not true wicking. That is gravitational flow.
Wicking (capillary action) defined as a fluid rising against gravity is best with a tight dense 400 ss wick with a very small center hole.
I am now using # 500 ss on all my lines and it is twice as efficient at wicking as #400.
In a simple lab test I put 3 inch same dia wicks in 2 inches of VG and 3 more in 2 inches of PG and 3 in 2 inches of kerosine. This new test I used 325, 400, 500 SS mesh. The kerosine only rose 1/16 in on the 325 and not measurable with PG or VG. I put a little dab of cotton on the top tip of each wick to see when it got wet. With kerosine the cotton got wet almost immediately on both 400 and 500, pg took 2 min to wet the cotton on 400 and and less than a minute on the 500, the VG took about 30 seconds longer on each. Using small jars with a hole in the metal cap for the wick I made mini kerosine burners. Even with prewetting the 325 it would not maintain a flame. The flame on the 500 was twice the size of the flame on the 400 and consumed the kerosine in half the time. All were 45mm rolled by 3 inches long, rolled tight on a thin paperclip. All rolled mesh to 2.5 mm dia,
In an earlier lab experiment I did a three #400 wicks 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, rolled to 2.5 mm dia and on the kerosine lamp test each progressively maintained a larger flame.
From my simple tests I concluded.
More density in the wicks provided more wicking and therefore more juice to the coil
comparing oranges to oranges
PG will rise higher in a 400 mesh than on a 325 mesh.
Vg will rise higher in a 400 mesh than on a 325 mesh.
On the same 400 wick PG will rise higher than VG because of cohesion forces, but it will not rise higher on 325 than on 400,
And now all rise higher and faster on 500 mesh

BJ - would some charts or graphs be helpful in explaing the above?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Well, here is my 25 seconds demo. Bottom feeder in vertical position, 14mm width mesh400 rolled to 1.7mm thick wick. 1.8 ohm heater on standard eGo voltage 3.2V = 5.7 watts. Real vape immediately after button push. Capillary action works :)
VIDEO0001 - YouTube

BJ, thanks for inspiring me to make my first video on youtube :lol: Enjoying...

Thanks, slimest. I'd like to see a pic of the mod you were using in the video.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Is everyone using diagnol cut on the wicks?

BJ - Thanks for the new thread!

You mean on the bias??? That only seems to make sense for bending a wick i.e. U-shaped as it will bend easier, Cutting straight is much more economical and gives a cleaner edge, per rectangle there are four to choose from for where the coil will be, best to choose the cleanest edge.

Cool:

Well, for the end in the "tank", yeah. I do. I would doubt it matters like a siphon for R/C modeling or a lawnmower does, but I did it to cover the bases on my first SS wick. Didn't even try for "pretty" with the Nova - just slammed in that wick and torqued it into place. (hey, I was peeved! ;-)

Now they've got me hoping Stormy will get that 500 mesh in - or maybe DiscountVapers will beat them to it ;-)

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
BJ, no video. Wrong link?

P.S. I told to my friend about your experiments with kerosene lamp. He answered: Robert Wood, great physicist, did the same way :)
lol I know, I have a Masters degree in physics but that was 50 years ago and kept reading here that 325 wicked better than 400 and that went against everything I had studied, just figured maybe some new laws of physics that I hadn't learned. So back to the kerosine lamp experiment I learned in Physics lab at Ohio State in the early 60,s.

PS: the link opens for me. try this one,

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Someone verify that #500 provides a thicker vape and I'll get some, otherwise it might be a few years til I'm ready to re-up with mesh. :)
I have some on the way. I did make a thicker wick with my 400 today. It did soak up fast! I'm running my Provari at 5.3v on a DID atty at 1.9 ohms, and getting a much bigger vapor.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Is everyone using diagnol cut on the wicks?

BJ - Thanks for the new thread!

Cutting on the bias only helps to reduce kinking in a "U" wick. Have not done a kerosine test comparing a bias wick to a square wick. Interesting new lab test. Rolling on the bias pulls the square holes in the mesh into elongated diamond shapes. This may or may not improve wicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread