Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentastic

Not Batman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Central Californication
I have a Woodvil that has very little use and has been sitting for a bit on a shelf. Well I decided that I needed to show it some love, filled it up with juice & a fresh battery, slapped an atty on top and went to pull off the top cap and the whole 510 seemed to rise up out of the Woodvil atty and all.

Surprised the heck out of me. Upon close examination, it looks like the 510 assembly is just press fit into a hole in the wood and the only thing keeping it from not just tearing out completely is the soldering joint with wiring going to the positive battery terminal?

2016-03-06 04.49.21.jpg

2016-03-06 04.49.35.jpg

First picture is all the way down (like it should be) Second picture is what happens when I go to pull the top cap of an atty off. It's so loose that I had to push the whole assembly up from the bottom to shoot a picture of it, because it freely move up and down and won't stay up unless I push up "lightly" from the bottom.

Does this just need to be glued back in? I can't see any nut that needs tightened, it just looks press fit, which doesn't seem very secure. Although I've had another Woodvil for even longer, with much more use put on it and it's 510 seems rock solid.

Ken

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Yes, this has been known to happen with a few of the Woodvils. The 510 assembly is just press fit in. The fix is to simply push it up as far as it will go without damaging the solder connection, applying a ring of super glue with a needle type applicator, and pushing it back down in place.
It's why I never pull a top cap while it's on the mod. If I need to rewick, I remove the atty from the mod.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
As said others have seen this from atty's with tight caps. :2c: I for one am not going to pull an atty to rewick it. Instead I'll find a way to make it work as it should. I've had some atty's that took some serious force to get the caps off... a couple that were so ridiculous they were on the verge of being 86'd before I modded them. Easy to fix: those that were tight with 2 or more o-rings I simply removed all but the bottom o-ring; those too tight with one I sanded the o-ring a little with some 400 emery or changed it out for a size that got the job done better.

My four 2015 Woodvil's run 2 o-ring atty's that only have the bottom one installed. The caps are more than secure enough to pick the Woodie up by the atty, yet still very easy to pull the cap without any force to speak of. And none of them leak because of the missing o-ring either, it was just fluff. HTH

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
One of my woodvil's press fit was a little too tight. It split out the wood from the 510 to the door. Doesn't cause a major problem but does leak juice through the split and gets on the inside of the door.

Elmers wood glue and a clamp should fix that if a few mins.. prob never see that there ever was a crack afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread