510 contact cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
Not sure if this tip has been posted before, but I was attempting to clean the 510 and the battery contacts on my provari yesterday with a q-tip and some alcohol, and it was taking forever. A little lightbulb went off in my head and I was thinking that a pencil eraser would probably work well, due to the friction they have, and it worked awesome. A standard pencil eraser fits perfectly in the 510 connector and a few twists back and forth brought the finish back to looking like new. I did the same to the battery contact inside the tube and that's clean as a whistle now as well. Just thought it would be worth sharing just in case it hasn't been mentioned before.

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
I don't know how user-servicable a ProVari is since I neither have nor want one, but it might be even easier to remove the pin from the 510, clean it, put it back together.

The cap & board would have to be removed and the contact would have to be de soldered. It can be done, but it's not worth all the work.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've had my Provari V2 for 3 years now and a simple cleaning of the exposed end is all you need to do. As Charlie said, the center contact and cap are hard wired (soldered) to the board with wires long enough to allow the cap to be removed for inspection and replaced without actually removing the board. There's really no reason to remove the cap. All you have to clean is the threads and exposed end of the center contact. A paper towel or cloth rolled up and dipped in alcohol and pressed tightly into the socket is sufficient to clean the threads and the contact. Just twist it back and forth with enough pressure to get into the crevices and that's all you need to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread