5amp china buck regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
20151227_214324.jpg
20151227_214330.jpg
20151227_214324.jpg 20151227_214330.jpg I've been tinkering with this vv mod I built using a $2.00 chinese 5amp buck module. Its kicking out 5.67 amps and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this board and if there might be a current sense resister that can be shorted out to raise the amps a bit. It's made to run 5 amps continuous and has a heatsink so i doubt a couple more amps pulsed would hurt it if it could be made to do so.
I know there is nothing practical about this contraption but I'm laid off this time of year so I got time to waste, lol.

Reactions: rhelton

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
It's just one of a thousand versions of the LM2596 board. You won't be able to boost it further, it's already boosted with that setup. Heat sink and ring capacitor(??) is what allows it to get as high as it is. 3 amps is more the normal range without those 2 items.

It is still a great setup although you may want to try an other pot on it to keep the range within a usable area. I use a 2kohm pot to keep the range I want.
Here is the LM2596 thread if you're interested. Just For LM2596 Users

Last edited:
Reactions: rhelton
Its not a lm2596. Think its a xl4015. I have another one with two pots and a couple tactile switches. One switch cycles through what displays; volts in, volts out, current, power. One pot sets voltage and the other sets max current. When the output is set to 5v the usb jack can be used to power a usb devive. Kind of a cool little chip but that one maxes out at 5.15amps. I generally vape about thirty watts which is easy for these chips. Only problem I have is to reach that output, in a two coil rta, the coils are kind of fragile. Figured a couple extra amps would be the difference between building with 28 gauge vs 32. I was just checking out the xl4015 data sheet and it doesnt appear to use an external current sense resistor. A bit over 5 amps is probably all there'll ever be. Still a neat alternative to the lm2596. I like the power output display.
s-l1600.jpg

I don't know about the module, but you need to attend to that damaged battery wrap.

Oh thats just a string of hot glue that makes the wrap look cracked. They're not great batteries, recycled out of a rc power pack. I'll only vape next to a window with them so I can launch them out in the yard if they start to hiss, lol.

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
You might want to consider one of the OKR chips...
Only thing is the lowest output voltage will be about 4.5 volts.

3.4 volts for the low end of the OKR's. I run mine at 3.6 volts.

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Its not a lm2596. Think its a xl4015. I have another one with two pots and a couple tactile switches. One switch cycles through what displays; volts in, volts out, current, power. One pot sets voltage and the other sets max current. When the output is set to 5v the usb jack can be used to power a usb devive. Kind of a cool little chip but that one maxes out at 5.15amps.

Still just another version of the LM2596. May be better, or may be just over clocked. I can see they are generally priced a bit lower than the LM2596's (but then, that is not saying much as it seems most of either of theses boards run from $1.50 to $3.00). All the boards you find for the XL4015 are almost the same as the LM2596 boards, any setup that was designed with the LM2596 can be used in the same way you can use this chip.

I have a dozen or so of the 2596's, even one with the LED, 2 tac switches, but I may spend a few bucks for a couple of this version for my emergency DIY stash (and play material)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread