5V regulator issue please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
OK... Did you try it with the regulator in, but no LED? <--- try this.

Active high means it turns on when voltage is + for the control pin, and off low means that the pin is in ground state to shut it off.

Surprised you got 4 volts with no regulator. This is at the atty connector?????

the 470 ohm resistor goes between the ctrl pin and ground.

Last edited:

Solder-Meister

Unregistered Supplier
May 23, 2011
Virginia
OK... Did you try it with the regulator in, but no LED? <--- try this.

Active high means it turns on when voltage is + for the control pin, and off low means that the pin is in ground state to shut it off.

Surprised you got 4 volts with no regulator. This is at the atty connector?????

the 470 ohm resistor goes between the ctrl pin and ground.

Oh, I ditched the LED a long time ago :laugh:. I did what you suggested and disconnected the regulator, except I used only one 14500 battery, that's why I got 4v. No need to pump 8v, because I was only trying to see if there was a problem with the main switch and fire switch. Without the regulator, the momentary switch does in fact provide infinite resistance as there is no current to the atty until it's fired. The problem exists only when I try using the control pin, even with a 470 ohm resistor on CTL and GND. If I leave pin 4 open, and hook it up like it's a 3 lead regulator (Vin, Vout, GND), it works like a charm, 5v to pin 2 (Vout).

The sun is setting in VA! Hurry, or we won't be able to tell.........(or it will magically start working...) lol

Haha, I keep praying for that moment! I've got ten of these friggin' resistors, so I know it's something subtle that I'm missing...

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
lol.

I thought maybe this
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on/171956-sunlight-activating-my-box-mod.html
but with no LED, guess not!

Only other thing I can think of is your ground is 'hot'.. .IDK how to say this... a bad ground connection (maybe resistance through the switch) such that the pin sees current. Or the resistor is fried, and not grounding it out (it's floating), or there's a short to the ctrl pin somehow. Basically, you shouldn't get voltage on your meter between that ctrl pin itself and battery ground when the button is not pressed.

IDK. I think that's the box mod regulator I used last, and the circuit worked for me. Strange. Well, maybe I gave you some thoughts. Sorry I can't be of more help. It was worth a shot.

Last edited:

Solder-Meister

Unregistered Supplier
May 23, 2011
Virginia
lol.

I thought maybe this
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on/171956-sunlight-activating-my-box-mod.html
but with no LED, guess not!

Only other thing I can think of is your ground is 'hot'.. .IDK how to say this... a bad ground connection (maybe resistance through the switch) such that the pin sees current. Or the resistor is fried, and not grounding it out (it's floating), or there's a short to the ctrl pin somehow. Basically, you shouldn't get voltage on your meter between that pin and battery ground when the button is not pressed.

IDK. I think that's the box mod regulator I used last, and the circuit worked for me. Strange. Well, maybe I gave you some thoughts. Sorry I can't be of more help. It was worth a shot.

Baha, right on that's cool!! By the way, I just tested the other ten resistors, two of them was leaking and the rest worked fine. I feel like a dummy, maybe I should send them back???

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Baha, right on that's cool!! By the way, I just tested the other ten resistors, two of them was leaking and the rest worked fine. I feel like a dummy, maybe I should send them back???

How did you test them here? Do you mean it is working now (by swapping resistors)????????????

Basically, there should be an omh-meter setting on your meter (Ω). Take a separate (not in circuit) resistor and put it between the probes. If you want to measure resistance in-circuit, you'd have to break the circuit. Measured with no power in the circuit (meter supplies the test power). So just take it out of the breadboard that is showing the problem, and test it. If it's fried, you'll know it.

Last edited:

Solder-Meister

Unregistered Supplier
May 23, 2011
Virginia
IDK. Cost you more to mail 2 resistors back than they are worth. Is the resistor in the malfunctioning circuit testing out at 470 ish ohms? If so, is there current at the control pin when button is not pressed, or after it is released?

When I'm testing the control pin, am I supposed to put the other probe on GND?

So if you use the non-leaking regs, it works? COOOL. YEA! DONE???

Yeah!! Thank you all so much for your support, even though it was probably just me accidentally frying the regs. Well, time to heat up the iron and build my first mod!!!

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Yup. Voltage measurement, button not pressed, between ctrl pin and battery ground. Red= ctrl pin, black = ground. But never mind if you think the regulator is leading/malfunctioning. Since it won't tell you anything. If we think the regulator is working properly, then we'd want to find out what it is "seeing" on that pin. Remember we were checking for a bad resistor too (pin was either high, or floating theory).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread