601-C Stuck switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustypioneer

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
Southern California
Hey everyone, so I've enjoyed my awesome 601-C pipe for a whole 3 weeks and yesterday it decides to stop activating when I take a draw. I can still get it to activate every now and then or if I blow through the bowl it activates just fine. I've q-tipped it and blown/sucked every which direction and still can't get this thing working decently again.

Anybody have any tips on fixing this?

P.S. I decided I would try to take the thing apart... much easier said than done. After a few scratches and dings on the gold tip I've given up on taking it apart to get to the switch.

dustypioneer

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
Southern California
Nothing yet, I'm still playing around with it though. But from what I can tell, this pipe doesn't come apart like the other version does. The gold circle part which the stem connects to does unscrew(with a bit of motivation), but I can't seem to get anything else taken apart. I am hoping I'll figure out a way to take the metal tube out so I can get to the switch like the old model so I can clean it.

Other than that though, I can activate the pipe doing exactly as you've described as well. And on the flip side, all the banging around I've done on this thing seems to have loosened the switch up at least a little bit to a point of where it's almost decently working again.

This pipe was a gift to me for Christmas, and I used it non-stop till like a week ago. And now I'm missing it so much I decided to upgrade and order myself a Jazz cartopipe. So perhaps when that gets here, if I haven't figured out any civil way of taking this apart I might just take a dremel to it and see if I can break it apart and take some pictures to hopefully help anyone else with the same problem. But I would much rather it stayed in one piece lol.

dustypioneer

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
Southern California
Hey guys, I am starting to feel like a creeper on my own thread lol. I'm seeing that it's getting plenty of views though so I thought I would share a short update.

Basically, I don't think there's any way of getting to the vacuum switch without destroying the pipe. I saw on a different thread that you could however make the pipe fire if you make a connection between the battery post thing and the little square thing right next to it. So I got out my solder and a switch and my pipe is finally usable again! I've got plans to relocate the switch to a more permanent location once I get some more time on my hands to do so.

So if you have a broken DSE 601 C there is still hope if you don't mind changing it to a manual switch and doing a little bit of soldering!

photo.jpg

toth

Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Norway
Hey Dusty,
before you start drillin', you could try what I did:

OK, so here's what I did:
-I used the "AntiBac" hand sanitizer, 85% ethanol (PGA isn't available in norway I think)
Poured it in from both ends, a good amount of liquid, filled it up(ofcourse removed battery and carto), let it sit for maybe a minute.
-Shaked out som excess fluid, and blew and sucked hard in both ends several time.
-Then got out my vacuum cleaner, wich has both suck and blow, and did the same thing - blew and sucked it completly out from both ends.
I then cleaned the contacts in the bowl with an alcohol-wetted cloth.

-Put it back together, and voila - tasted a little like harsh alcohol the first 20 drags, and now it just works flawlessly, registers even the faintest drag..! I'm a happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread