99% isopropyl alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
From what I have read from others who have used both, the 99% is more effective. I use 70% only because that's what is in my house and I've not been able to find 99% anywhere easily. I've only done the alcohol bath once for my 1 year old standard Provari with blue LED, and sort of regret doing it. The LED screen (not the window, but the actual LED) has a slight haze appearance to it now. I'm assuming this occured because the alcohol I used was not 99% and when it evaporated away it left the haze. It's not bad, but now the LED is not as sharp as my newer green LED Provari Mini that has never had the bath.

Last edited:

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
Less than 99% shouldn't screw anything up, but won't be close to 99% in effectiveness. If you have any friends that work in the medical field, ask them to score you some.

I get it at work. We use it on SS tubing before making welds on pharmaceutical jobs.

Bad, you soaked the whole mod? Is that common? I thought it was just for cleaning the top cap and batt terminals.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
From what I have read from others who have used both, the 99% is more effective. I use 70% only because that's what is in my house and I've not been able to find 99% anywhere easily. I've only done the alcohol bath once for my 1 year old standard Provari, and sort of regret doing it. The LED screen (not the window, but the actual LED) has a slight haze appearance to it. I'm assuming this occured because the alcohol I used was not 99%.
Here ya go Bad, it's the only place I've been able to find it: Amazon.com: Swan Isopropyl Alcohol, 99%, Pint, 16 OZ: Health & Personal Care

bitterapples

Moved On
Feb 24, 2013
wa
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: deleted as per Supplier Admin

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Bad, you soaked the whole mod? Is that common? I thought it was just for cleaning the top cap and batt terminals.

Provari alcohol bath

One time I was clumsy while filling a tank on my Provari and spilled a good amount of juice that covered the body of the Provari. It looked like some had gotten into the firing button hole and some soaked into the LED display window. There was no way to clean this easily, and I didn't want to remove the LED window not knowing what that might do.

I had seen the above link from a post of a similar incident which caused some issues with their circuit board. I did the suggested alcohol bath. It got rid of all the spilled juice, but left a haze or film on the LED.

The instructions do say 99% alcohol, so my bad.

"If you cannot find 99% isopropyl, you can use 91%.
91% has more water, so it will just take a little longer to dry.

If you use some canned air or an air compressor you can blow out the excess isopropyl and it will speed up the drying time."

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/323201-cleaning-my-provari-alcohol.html

Last edited:

bitterapples

Moved On
Feb 24, 2013
wa
  • Deleted by Misty

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Thanks so much for the feedback. So do you think 5-6 hrs vaping like a steam engine is reasonable for an 18490 (AW IMR)?

Sounds about right.

These are my estimates, it depends on your vaping style, voltage, delivery device though:

14500 @ 600 about 4 hours
18350 @800mah= aprox 6-7 hours vape time
18490 @ 1100 about 6-7 hours
18650 @ 1600 about 12+ hours

I usually get a little less than these values.

bitterapples

Moved On
Feb 24, 2013
wa
  • Deleted by Misty

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Yes I do I work on the assembly team

All Hail a greeting to an acolyte of the Sacred ProVari!
We are humbled in your presence and give thanks for your service to our Holy One!

g7y.gif

We are The ProVarinati

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes I do I work on the assembly team
Can you say if Provape will be offering a new Provari with new features at any point in the reasonable future; or any type of update like they did for version 1.0 -->2.0?

Also any plans by Provape to offer a Provari-quality bottom feeder mod. :drool:

I only ask because this question gets asked here on the forum on a weekly basis.

I also wish to give my utmost respect and admiration for the high quality product and exceptional service your team provides to us customers.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Last edited:

Vap4que

Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Atlanta, ga
Just a couple questions...

What brand and model battery are you using?
Have you treated the threads with Noalox after cleaning them?

I have a short blog that expresses my feelings on the alcohol.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/eddardinwinter/5040-provari-maintenance.html

Short answer:
I always use 99%, its important.

I am using AW IMR batteries and have treated the threads with noalox. The only shortcoming in cleaning has been that I am not using the 99% isopropyl alcohol.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Thanks so much for the feedback. So do you think 5-6 hrs vaping like a steam engine is reasonable for an 18490 (AW IMR)?

I used my 18490 for the first time yesterday. Granted I was out, so I wasn't a steam engine, & I was good for approx 7-hrs. Quite surprised it lasted that long.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Can you say if Provape will be offering a new Provari with new features at any point in the reasonable future; or any type of update like they did for version 1.0 -->2.0?

Also any plans by Provape to offer a Provari-quality bottom feeder mod. :drool:

I only ask because this question gets asked here on the forum on a weekly basis.

I also wish to give my utmost respect and admiration for the high quality product and exceptional service your team provides to us customers.

This deserves a bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread