A bit off topic...but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I know this sounds strange, but I just cleaned my computer (air dusted, took apart keyboard and cleaned, etc) and it seems a bit of cleaning sped up my computer.... webpages open much faster, the computer's more silent...overall a much needed thing. the only thing I can think of, is maybe the dust was causing the processor to overheat a bit and throttle down.

Relating to vaping.... It's much easier to clean a computer that has not been smoked around. This is the first time I've cleaned my computer since I smoked, and it was a whole lot easier. Many people don't realize how much the tar gets built up inside the computer, inside the heat sink on the processor. How much the dust clings to everything, the wires, etc. If you smoke around a computer, the tar gets sticky, and when dust gets around the inside of the smoker's computer, it's like a magnet for dust.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a bearing go bad in any of the fans in this computer since I've been vaping.

took it outside, used my air compressor and blew it off... it all came off and it now looks clean as a whistle. besides wiping the outside of the case, nothing needed to be de-tarred or wiped off.

The keyboard on the other hand... well.. I have a now 7 year old.. enough said.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Off topic as well but relates to the cleaning aspect, I was having a nasty RPM drop in my car when starting it. I re-flashed the ecu, recalibrate the idle and was still having an issue. So I yanked the MAF and throttle body and gave them both a good cleaning and bingo starts and purrs like kitten now. Its amazing what a little routine maintenance can do, I had been meaning to get around to it but it's been raining here for the last 60 days it feels like. I'm about ready to move to the desert.

Oh and the car vapes great too. :lol:

Reactions: NealBJr

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I know this sounds strange, but I just cleaned my computer (air dusted, took apart keyboard and cleaned, etc) and it seems a bit of cleaning sped up my computer.... webpages open much faster, the computer's more silent...overall a much needed thing. the only thing I can think of, is maybe the dust was causing the processor to overheat a bit and throttle down.

Relating to vaping.... It's much easier to clean a computer that has not been smoked around. This is the first time I've cleaned my computer since I smoked, and it was a whole lot easier. Many people don't realize how much the tar gets built up inside the computer, inside the heat sink on the processor. How much the dust clings to everything, the wires, etc. If you smoke around a computer, the tar gets sticky, and when dust gets around the inside of the smoker's computer, it's like a magnet for dust.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a bearing go bad in any of the fans in this computer since I've been vaping.

took it outside, used my air compressor and blew it off... it all came off and it now looks clean as a whistle. besides wiping the outside of the case, nothing needed to be de-tarred or wiped off.

The keyboard on the other hand... well.. I have a now 7 year old.. enough said.

When I smoked it was neccessary to keep an exchange CPU cooler in the spares box. The fan blades got caked with tar that then all the dust stuck to. Eventually it would get unbalanced and vibrate.

There wasn't any solvent I knew of that would shift the tar without damaging the plastic, the only solution I found was scrub it with dish washing detergent and a stiff paint brush - after washing that lot off under running water, it needed as long as it sat in the spares box to dry out completely.

Reactions: ReigntheGamer

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Off topic as well but relates to the cleaning aspect, I was having a nasty RPM drop in my car when starting it. I re-flashed the ecu, recalibrate the idle and was still having an issue. So I yanked the MAF and throttle body and gave them both a good cleaning and bingo starts and purrs like kitten now. Its amazing what a little routine maintenance can do, I had been meaning to get around to it but it's been raining here for the last 60 days it feels like. I'm about ready to move to the desert.

Oh and the car vapes great too. :lol:

Lol... reminds me of my first attempt at doing "routine cleaning" on my car. I was 18, just got my car. IT was a Datsun 210. I was at the car wash giving it a scrub when I popped the hood. Wow, that engine looks dirty... I put it on degreaser, degreased the engine, then blasted it with water until it looked clean. Sure enough, it did look clean. Went to drive off... and NOTHING. it wouldn't start. I called my dad, told him what I did. He came up to the car wash with a hair dryer and an extention cord.... I was like wha.... he took off the distributor cap, and blew it dry. put it back on, and voila... it worked.

routine cleaning is nice... just be sure you know what you're cleaning. :)

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
yeah the dust buildup on the components causes computer to run slow because it messes with the heat being released from the processor, with a thick layer of dust on there it kind of acts like an insulator and keeps most of the heat from being released into the environment. If anything, cleaning the dust off the processor and making sure the processor fan is clean is always recommended.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
When I smoked it was neccessary to keep an exchange CPU cooler in the spares box. The fan blades got caked with tar that then all the dust stuck to. Eventually it would get unbalanced and vibrate.

There wasn't any solvent I knew of that would shift the tar without damaging the plastic, the only solution I found was scrub it with dish washing detergent and a stiff paint brush - after washing that lot off under running water, it needed as long as it sat in the spares box to dry out completely.

Rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip worked for me back in the day. Still have to blow the dust out of my computers about once a year, but hand cleaning the individual fan blades is no longer necessary:banana:

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
yeah the dust buildup on the components causes computer to run slow because it messes with the heat being released from the processor, with a thick layer of dust on there it kind of acts like an insulator and keeps most of the heat from being released into the environment. If anything, cleaning the dust off the processor and making sure the processor fan is clean is always recommended.

The dust in one of my PCs wasn't doing any harm till the antenna riggers trod on a corner in the roof and tore the lead flashing under the tiles - the roof leak didn't actually drip directly on the PC, but the accumulated dust got damp and prevented startup.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
Rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip worked for me back in the day. Still have to blow the dust out of my computers about once a year, but hand cleaning the individual fan blades is no longer necessary:banana:

When I quit smoking and didn't tar up the fan anymore, I thought I'd found another use for the can of lighter butane - gas pressure to blast dust out of the CPU cooler.

Unfortunately the evaporating gas freezes the dust onto the fan blades and hardly shifts any at all.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I just use a make up brush and dust them off (it's those big gunky fuzz bunnies that will kill a power supply) worse was our dog's hair stuck to the tar from smoking.

Someone gave me an apple Mac computer that was pretty much solid with dust & fluff.

The first bad sign was when I tried to insert a floppy disk and it stopped dead half way in.

Most of it lifted out of the computer like a thick wad of felt, but the floppy drive was wrecked.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I clean my PC every 2 weeks with a leaf blower , I block the fans from spining though and dont go too close .
If you payed 2800$ for all your parts you would clean it as frequently too.

dual gtx 980s
16GB ram
5TB HDD
i7 4790k

I'm a; "if it ain't broke - dont fix it" sort of person, but then I leave the sides off my PC, so now I don't tar up the cooler and make it vibrate - at least I can see when it needs cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread