a couple reviews and some help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

janisum

Jun 17, 2009
rural Iowa
Hi to all,

I've been smoking 38 years and so has my husband. We've been rolling our own with a machine to save money. I bought a e-cig through E-Smoke a year ago and it hit fairly well and was lightweight. More like smoking than my recent try of Halo e-cigs. Halo's are quite heavy and even with the strongest liquid, it doesn't hit well at all. At least not for my taste. Neither of us are finding e-cigs do much. I've heard vaping is too strong. Now I'm really confused and was hoping some people on this forum could give me ideas.

I don't want to stop smoking and don't have any plans to. I enjoy it and figure I'm going to die of something so I want to be happy while doing so.. Not a good attitude but.... Can you help me with ideas of any e-cigs and/or vaping that have satisfied that real cigarette urge? Here comes the real dumb ?.. do you inhale with vaping? I see most everyone smoking them like a pipe. That's not going to cut it for either of us. Wishing you all the best

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Welcome to the forum, @janisum !!

I have been vaping for about 6 years now. I didn't expect it, but I did quit smoking because of vaping. For starters, it is a bit different from a cigarette and takes a little getting used to. For first starting out, I'd recommend something simple (there is a lot of complex equipment out there).
Try picking up a Vision Spinner kit similar to this: Vision Spinner/Ego Twist Kit
That should hit fairly well (better than any cigarette-looking device) and give you a bit of satisfaction. If you're doing RYO smokes, I'd try somewhere around 24mg nic (I started at 36mg after switching from RYO myself).
Yes, you can inhale. I do... every time... It wouldn't cut it for me otherwise...

All that being said, there are no stupid questions. Ask anything you'd like and I or someone else will quickly get back to you with an answer. You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for equipment... I say start simple and move up as your confidence in vaping grows. Also, if you click the link in my signature titled "Bad's Awesome Blog" you'll find a lot of great information for first-time vapers... please, read through that and let me know if you have any questions about any of it. Good Luck!!!

Reactions: NoFumus

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
You should want to live a healthier life :) I'm not your parent, honestly you're probably old enough to be my parent. (I'm 24) To me, if you have the attitude of "I don't want to stop smoking and don't have any plans to" then you could buy 20 setups and none would probably work for you. My dad was able to quit because he wanted to, was determined to, his brother just had a heart attack from smoking and he wanted to quit before it happened to him.

My dad smoked for 40 years, 2 packs a day. We went through challenges with him. Ultimately an iStick 50w (He never uses all 50, but battery life is great) and an Atlantis tank. As far as smoking like a pipe, some tanks are mouth to lung inhales, kind of like a cigarette. Draw it into your mouth, breathe in and exhale. Some setups, like mine, I just inhale directly into my lungs.

My dad hates flavors, it didn't help him quit. He vapes unflavored as do I. I didn't even tell my dad what it was, I just told him to vape it. His instant reaction "This seems exactly like a marlboro light". That's what helped him quit. He vapes that at 18mg and is 5 smokes smoke free.

pevinsghost

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
St Louis, MO
Just to add onto what @dbrandt01 said, you have to wasn't to quit SMOKING for vapor to work for you, but if you just want nicotine, flavor, and that sensation of warm "smoke" going in your throat and lungs, plus to feel a million times better, and to be able to taste things again, and to not smell bad... Vapor is for you! There is a lot to learn, but the people here are super friendly and helpful. If you have questions, ask. Look through this new members forum to get an idea what questions may come up too.

MattVid

Aug 6, 2015
Seattle, WA, USA
Welcome!

I am relatively new here as well, and am trying to replace my bad smoking habits with vapor-ware. You can most definitely get some hard hitting personal vaporizers, and you definitely can inhale the vapor, if you want to.

One question for you, are you looking for mouth-to-lung hits (like a cigarette), or straight lung hits (like from a hookah)? Getting the right setup for what you want is definitely a huge part of it.

I tried out the e-cigarette train a few years back, and they didn't do it for me at all. So far, I feel the vaping is working much better from the larger kits. I can get the amount of smoke and nicotine that I want, as well as a little throat burn or whatever. It is definitely going to take some trial and error to find what works for you.

My goal is to quit smoking, and be healthier for my family and myself. If this turns into a hobby, than so be it. If I get bored of it after a while and just stop completely, that is fine too. I would probably recommend looking at some of the mouth-to-lung hitting setups, and see if you can find something that might work for you. This will most likely be the closest thing to an actual cigarette ... however, it is still very different.

Last edited:

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
If you don't really want to quit those lil eGo spinners linked above will probably be alright for you. You might also look at:
Aspire - Clearomizer BDC Series
Aspire - Nautilus Clearomizer Tank Series
Aspire - Aspire ET-S clearomizer
Any of those will work with an eGo (small pen type) battery
These are popular, but I never liked them:
The kanger emow kit – KangerTech
The Kanger Mini ProTank 3 – KangerTech

The Aspire brand coils (replaceable heating element) always seemed to be better quality and last longer for me than the Kanger brand, but some folks prefer the Kanger stuff.

Reactions: Kaezziel

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's my own opinion that you have to WANT to quit smoking for any type of e-cigarette to work. Vaping an e-cigarette is a less efficient way to get nicotine into your body if you are using BOTH smoking and vaping, so in effect you'll probably always prefer smoking over vaping. Especially if you plan to never stop smoking "because I love it."

I loved smoking, too; but I was aware of how harmful it was to myself and others. Vaping was the only way I was able to stop smoking. I had smoked for over 30 years and had developed a bad cough every morning. I'd tried the nicotine gum & patches, prescription drugs, and even hypnosis to try to quit and they all failed miserably.

Then I had what I call a LIFE CHANGING EVENT. The week that I purchased a disposible e-cigarette out of curiousity, my mother found out she had incurable cancer and was dead from it a week later. This struck a hard note of reality to me: If I don't find a way to quit smoking I will be joining her in the grave too soon. I was a single father with teenagers, and I didn't want to leave them prematurely.

That first disposable e-cigarette from the convenience mart wasn't that great, but if showed some promise. There must be something better on the market. I did a lot of research by coming to the E-Cigarette Forum like yourself and found out what setups worked for other former smokers who had success with quitting using vaporizers.

Long story short, thanks to vaping, I have been smoke-free for over 3 years, and never once have I wanted another cigarette. I have saved a ton of money by vaping in case you need even more incentive to quit other than improving your health and extending your life expectancy. I actually love vaping more than I ever did smoking.

Here are my recommendations for you:

A Good Starter Setup for a Beginner Vaper

Proper Terminology: Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

57f0e743-38b1-45f2-b804-d6404c4812a8_zps19fe5831.jpg
e6c34a20-389f-4c03-a172-7d5a650770e1_zpsff7fc0f8.jpg

Skip right over those "cigalikes" or cigarette-size batteries. They are too weak to simulate what you get from a real cigarette.

Last edited:

janisum

Jun 17, 2009
rural Iowa
Welcome to the forum, @janisum !!

I have been vaping for about 6 years now. I didn't expect it, but I did quit smoking because of vaping. For starters, it is a bit different from a cigarette and takes a little getting used to. For first starting out, I'd recommend something simple (there is a lot of complex equipment out there).
Try picking up a Vision Spinner kit similar to this: Vision Spinner/Ego Twist Kit
That should hit fairly well (better than any cigarette-looking device) and give you a bit of satisfaction. If you're doing RYO smokes, I'd try somewhere around 24mg nic (I started at 36mg after switching from RYO myself).
Yes, you can inhale. I do... every time... It wouldn't cut it for me otherwise...

All that being said, there are no stupid questions. Ask anything you'd like and I or someone else will quickly get back to you with an answer. You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for equipment... I say start simple and move up as your confidence in vaping grows. Also, if you click the link in my signature titled "Bad's Awesome Blog" you'll find a lot of great information for first-time vapers... please, read through that and let me know if you have any questions about any of it. Good Luck!!!
For some reason I get a error when trying to launch your blog.. Is it just me?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi to all,

I've been smoking 38 years and so has my husband. We've been rolling our own with a machine to save money. I bought a e-cig through E-Smoke a year ago and it hit fairly well and was lightweight. More like smoking than my recent try of Halo e-cigs. Halo's are quite heavy and even with the strongest liquid, it doesn't hit well at all. At least not for my taste. Neither of us are finding e-cigs do much. I've heard vaping is too strong. Now I'm really confused and was hoping some people on this forum could give me ideas.

I don't want to stop smoking and don't have any plans to. I enjoy it and figure I'm going to die of something so I want to be happy while doing so.. Not a good attitude but.... Can you help me with ideas of any e-cigs and/or vaping that have satisfied that real cigarette urge? Here comes the real dumb ?.. do you inhale with vaping? I see most everyone smoking them like a pipe. That's not going to cut it for either of us. Wishing you all the best

Desire is the first step to vape. I started vape on a whim when I was buying cartons of cigs and picked up a cheap blister pack vape kit and some cheap juice. Got home and tried it and liked it better than smoking. The flavor from vape is 100 times better. I wouldn't settle for "happy doing so while you die from something" try vape and you can die happier than the cigs.

Reactions: Baditude

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
For some reason I get a error when trying to launch your blog.. Is it just me?

That link is corrupted. I already gave you the links to two of my blog articles specifically useful to you. Here's the main link to the entire blog:

Baditude's Blogs

Thanks for pointing that out.... I'll go fix my link now!! Can't have people not be able to get to Baditude's great info... he put a lot of work into that!!

Edit: There we go... looks like it should work now. Could I trouble someone to verify it for me now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

janisum

Jun 17, 2009
rural Iowa
I was pleasantly surprised with all the help in just a short time. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have been browsing the web for reviews and a few chats. I can't believe all the accessories and different parts to these little machines. I think I will start out simple and maybe I will be able to stop smoking. Like dbrandt said, "a healthier life?". I just don't think I'm ready to right now. I don't have children and live with chronic major depression. But don't get me wrong.. I'm not one of these who sits around with a cigarette hanging out my mouth and smelling up the house. I resect smoking, if there is such a thing.. I never smoke in my home or anyone else's and I'm down to under a pack a day. I guess I could say I respect myself enough but just not ready to give up this comfort zone of mine to a whole new world and way of life. Not yet anyway......... You guys are all awesome

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I was pleasantly surprised with all the help in just a short time. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have been browsing the web for reviews and a few chats. I can't believe all the accessories and different parts to these little machines. I think I will start out simple and maybe I will be able to stop smoking. Like dbrandt said, "a healthier life?". I just don't think I'm ready to right now. I don't have children and live with chronic major depression. But don't get me wrong.. I'm not one of these who sits around with a cigarette hanging out my mouth and smelling up the house. I resect smoking, if there is such a thing.. I never smoke in my home or anyone else's and I'm down to under a pack a day. I guess I could say I respect myself enough but just not ready to give up this comfort zone of mine to a whole new world and way of life. Not yet anyway......... You guys are all awesome

I guess I was lucky. I'm one of those guys who loves to tinker and play with new things. I tried vaping because it was interesting and had a beneficial side effect of being healthier. Not only that, but I can vape in the house (I never smoked inside either). It just so turned out that I began to enjoy vaping as much as I enjoyed smoking... stopped smoking for a couple of weeks, then picked up a pack of cigarettes... the first one was awful, but I still smoked the whole pack (I never claimed that I was very bright!). Went back to vaping and haven't looked back. The best suggestion I can make is to just go into it with an open mind. You'll likely enjoy it more than you expect... especially if you get a decent set-up and some good juice.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... looks like it should work now. Could I trouble someone to verify it for me now?

:thumb: Working.

I was pleasantly surprised with all the help in just a short time. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I guess I could say I respect myself enough but just not ready to give up this comfort zone of mine to a whole new world and way of life. Not yet anyway......... You guys are all awesome
This is a great group of people with a lot of knowlege and the willingness to help and advise those who seek the truth.

Sorry to read that you're not yet ready to quit smoking. Why not give one of the setups that I recommended a shot. You just might find (like I did) that you prefer vaping over smoking. I never thought that I'd say that before I gave it a shot. So glad that I did.

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
Vaping demystified most of my rationalizations for smoking. "I enjoy the taste", "I enjoy the nicotine" and so forth. The truth for me is after a few days of vaping on a yummy flavor, when I went to pick up a cigarette again, I could only take a few puffs before I realized I'd been fooling myself for 23 years about how good tasting they were and how much I enjoyed them. Even the nicotine I use now is only to keep the withdrawals at bay. I don't find anything pleasant about the effects of nicotine other than keeping me sane, which I guess is pretty important:)
One thing that was helpful to me was getting a sub-ohm tank, and now RDA dripping on a high watt mod. A cigarette can never touch the lung filling satisfaction I get from these devices. I remember picking up one of my last cigarettes and trying to find the + button so I could increase the vapor production!

Reactions: NoFumus

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
If you really are thinking about quitting...
Seriously, just skip over the egos and get yourself a solid vape.
I personally have no love for anything Kanger (one of their products just left a bad taste in my mouth, figuratively and literally), but the Aspire nautilus I linked above is solid. Of the dozens of tanks I've tried, it gives the closest approximation of the act of puffing on a cigarette. And the replacement heads for it are cheap, available everywhere, and last from weeks to months depending on use. It will run on any battery system that can put out 3.5 volts and 10 watts. You can get a lil spinner like this:
Kumiho VV 1300mah Battery - Wickedly Hot Vapors
or for about the same price you can pick up a small box mod like this:
Eleaf Mini iStick 10W Box Mod ⋆ Mist Hub
Or for a lil more, you can get this and the battery will likely last for several days between charges:
http://www.rockymountainvapor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_87&products_id=357

pevinsghost

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2015
St Louis, MO
the Aspire nautilus I linked above is solid. Of the dozens of tanks I've tried, it gives the closest approximation of the act of puffing on a cigarette. And the replacement heads for it are cheap, available everywhere, and last from weeks to months depending on use.
This. People that have been vaping a while can forget that early on, replicating the sensations of smoking can be very helpful. Skipping the cigalikes is probably a big enough jump for most users, and even if you do find you want to move onto more, a nautilus and a small device to throw it on can't be beat a a backup/portable second device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread