A different 510 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
the 510 is not like other e cigs when it comes to dripping..You can NOT put more than 2 drops on it without it flooding....

My best guess is that it has way to much juice around the atty...blow it out and put 4drops on it to prime it..after that you should never need more than 2 drops..

Dude's way more off than something that simple. Did you watch the vid? Even when I really screw up I get TONS more vapor than that. Plus, he was using a cart, so if that's the case then he's way overfilling. I dunno. I wanna hear more from this guy. Something's fishy.

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida
Dude's way more off than something that simple. Did you watch the vid? Even when I really screw up I get TONS more vapor than that. Plus, he was using a cart, so if that's the case then he's way overfilling. I dunno. I wanna hear more from this guy. Something's fishy.

yes i watched the video and he said he hadn't used the 510 in awhile so who knows how much leftover juice was aleady in there..THAN he added a some 60 juice and one drop of vanilla..I mean who knows how much juice was really in there..

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
yes i watched the video and he said he hadn't used the 510 in awhile so who knows how much leftover juice was aleady in there..THAN he added a some 60 juice and one drop of vanilla..I mean who knows how much juice was really in there..

Well, like I said, I wanna hear more from this guy. Call me paranoid, but something's screwy. NO models worked for him? This stuff aint rocket science. If he's THAT far off...

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
"Maybe not, though I find it weird that he has SO many bottles of liquid without ever having an easily refillable model that works for him. He might realize, through the publication of this video, that he's doing something wrong and figure it out. I wish I could just show him."

Maybe. I am not a forum pirate or someone who wants to crucify anyone who does not like Ecigs. I have said things about them myself and people attacked me. I am just trying to make a general point tho. In his post he said "this is not about the 510 model but the industry in general, it sucks".

So I am taking a guess he made the video just out of anger and just to show everyone that your beloved 510 model sucks. As far as him doing something wrong, or faulty equipment, or just doing it on purpose. I have no idea. Maybe his equipment broke, and he just wanted to show the malfunction out of being ...... off that it failed. But regardless of the case, All the people who own 510's are going to see his video and be like "thats not how mine works". So than they will become suspicious of him , of his methods, motives or equipment. So now his argument against the "industry" seems a little irrelevant.

rickghouse

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2009
Rick,

For giggles.. continue the dry burn process and see if you can get it to glow. Honest.. I have had some atty's that I thought were just complete crap.... and I finally got them to glow and then they performed like champs.

I made a LOT of mistakes when I first got my 510..... flooded it.. dried it out.. put bad juice in it. You name it. I had an entire graveyard of atties that I thought were garbage.... and I have "resurrected" virtually every one of them. And now that I now what I'm doing... they all taste and work quite well.

You've got nothing to lose at this point. Make her glow!

P.S. I'd love to know what the resistance reading is on that atty!

Scottbee, I took your advice. I tried to make them glow, and couldn't. I bought a multimeter, and here are the results:

(Note: This is not a field of expertise for me, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.)

My meter has 5 resistance settings: 200 ohms, 2000, 20K, 200K and 2000k.

Working atty, on the 200 ohm setting = 2.8

Dead atty, 200 ohm setting, no reading. 2000 ohm setting, ditto. 20K setting, 3.24.

I would appreciate your feedback on the readings. But I still think we're barking up the wrong tree. My 510's gave me no flavor from the beginning. Same with my 901's. My 801 passthrough gave me a metallic taste and no flavor. KR808's give me flavor (although a sickenly sweet one) but I need to vape a lot to get relief, and by that time my throat is so sore that I get a coughing spell.

Please let me know if you want my 510 atties.

My quest continues.

Rick.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
Scottbee, I took your advice. I tried to make them glow, and couldn't. I bought a multimeter, and here are the results:

(Note: This is not a field of expertise for me, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.)

Dead atty, 200 ohm setting, no reading. 2000 ohm setting, ditto. 20K setting, 3.24.

I would appreciate your feedback on the readings. But I still think we're barking up the wrong tree. My 510's gave me no flavor from the beginning. Same with my 901's. My 801 passthrough gave me a metallic taste and no flavor. KR808's give me flavor (although a sickenly sweet one) but I need to vape a lot to get relief, and by that time my throat is so sore that I get a coughing spell.

My quest continues.

Rick.

Your second atty is truly dead.

Your first atty's resistance is way too high. You're cutting the voltage coming out of your stock 510 battery to less than half. That would definitely give you pretty weak-... or no vapor. You should only have resistance on high voltage atty's (and very low resistance even on those).

Did you zero the multimeter before taking a measurement? If not, touch the leads together and zero the meter until it reads zero ohms (it should have a knob somewhere to do that). After you zero the meter, retest the first atty.

A working 510 atty should read zero ohms or EXTREMELY close to zero ohms (depends on residue buildup on the coil and the metal parts that come in contact with the battery).

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
A working 510 atty should read zero ohms or EXTREMELY close to zero ohms (depends on residue buildup on the coil and the metal parts that come in contact with the battery).

where did you get that ? a typical joye atomizer is ~2.2ohm. some from other manufacturers are 2.6-2.8 ohms and have lesser performance, these are selled with starterboxes, no special "high voltage atomizers". just a manufacturer that tried to spring on the 510 hype.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
where did you get that ? a typical joye atomizer is ~2.2ohm. some from other manufacturers are 2.6-2.8 ohms and have lesser performance, these are selled with starterboxes, no special "high voltage atomizers". just a manufacturer that tried to spring on the 510 hype.

Every "working" 510 or 401 atomiser I have is a perfect 0 ohms. Any atomizer with any amount of resistance (even .5 ohms) drops the load voltage a LOT.

There are no resistors in normal atomizers. It is a coil (or just a bit of wire) that gets heated from current passing through it.

HV atomizers are the only atomizers I am aware off that have resistance built into the atomizers to cut the 6.0 and 7.2 Volt battery combinations to a lower voltage.

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
That's odd. Everyone around here reports 2.4 or there abouts, myself included. If there was no resistance it wouldn't heat up. Well yea it would get hot because that is a dead short, The problem is all the heat would be in the wrong place.

Every "working" 510 or 401 atomiser I have is a perfect 0 ohms. Any atomizer with any amount of resistance (even .5 ohms) drops the load voltage a LOT.

There are no resistors in normal atomizers. It is a coil (or just a bit of wire) that gets heated from current passing through it.

HV atomizers are the only atomizers I am aware off that have resistance built into the atomizers to cut the 6.0 and 7.2 Volt battery combinations to a lower voltage.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI

No, that is not correct. A working 510 atty should read between 2.2 and 2.6 Ohms or so. I draw the line at 2.7 Ohms (on a good meter).

The nichrome coil itself is a resistor. The resistance of the coil is a function of the material (nichrome), the material diameter (wire gauge) and wire length.

If the atty resistance was actually 0 Ohms (a dead short) there would be no power consumption.. and therefore there would be no heat generation... and no vapor. Of course... a protected cell is short-circuit protected so the battery would just shut off too.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI

My quest continues.

Rick.

Rick,

I sent you a PM days ago offering to take your suspect hardware and either "verify/fix" it, or replace it with known working equipment.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
No, that is not correct. A working 510 atty should read between 2.2 and 2.6 Ohms or so. I draw the line at 2.7 Ohms (on a good meter).

The nichrome coil itself is a resistor. The resistance of the coil is a function of the material (nichrome), the material diameter (wire gauge) and wire length.

If the atty resistance was actually 0 Ohms (a dead short) there would be no power consumption.. and therefore there would be no heat generation... and no vapor. Of course... a protected cell is short-circuit protected so the battery would just shut off too.

To those that disagree with my readings... Well, I can surely concede that my $10.00 meter at home isn't the most accurate, but I'll take home one of our shop meters tonight and reread them.

Whenever I have a crappy atty, I have more than 0.5 ohms (on my cheapo meter) and a simple cleaning fixes it up nicely.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
That's odd. Everyone around here reports 2.4 or there abouts, myself included. If there was no resistance it wouldn't heat up. Well yea it would get hot because that is a dead short, The problem is all the heat would be in the wrong place.

Yeah, that does sound right (I took "electronic fundamentals" a looonnnng time ago and I'm getting old :D).

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
anim8r,

You should use the lowest level on your meter to check attys resistance.

The chippest meters should have at least 200 Ohms level, and if they are not that crappy you should be able to get the proper reading of around 2.5 Ohms for 510 atty.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm on the lowest setting. Will see when I get home. But like I said, it's a pretty cheap little bugger. I normally only used it to check the wiring in my house (yeah, I know it seems scary, but I re-wired my entire kitchen and living room--but hey, everything works :thumbs:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread