Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Heres another pic of me back when I was 18-19 maybe?? Hair days.. playing drums during the good old days of metal.. Metallica,GNR, plenty of Zep and others. Years later it was about half way down my back and one length. Damn skinny! Good old IOU tight jeans!

Sure my GF took the shot with Axel photo bombing it. haha. Started dating when I was 17 close to 18 and its 25 years later! Married after dating for 13 years!

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Stack, you look like the Guitarist that was in my rock band back in the 80"s. We played GNR, Crue, RATT, Metallica, and etc. Man, I miss those free style, rocking days. I have pictures of where my hair is that long too, but I can't bring myself to put them up. I was an ugly duckling back then.
scare3.gif

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Stack, you look like the Guitarist that was in my rock band back in the 80"s. We played GNR, Crue, RATT, Metallica, and etc. Man, I miss those free style, rocking days. I have pictures of where my hair is that long too, but I can't bring myself to put them up. I was an ugly duckling back then.
scare3.gif

Sounds like fun! I never got that far playing drums.

Started out with a home made card board drum set and made music videos with friemds and the camcorder haha.. loved it so much my mother ran out and bought me a set.

Asked the guy at the music store if they had lessons and the guy said no.. ?? So I learned from watching head bangers ball all the time haha. Got pretty damn good I'd say. Played by ear.. poor parents had to deal with n my loud music as I'd play along.

Screwed around with a couple of different bass and guitsr players.Only once with a full band. The day I finally got to play with the full band after playing for a week with the bass player the old drummer comes by and of course they want him back and hone I go packing up the set. :/ never recovered from that and gave up.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Great story. Sounds a lot like my life when banging on the drums all day to a loud boom box next to you. "Head Bangers Ball". OMG! Watched it every Saturday night, ...well, when I wasn't out sneaking in Nightclubs (at 17) to watch other bands play. We recorded 3 cover songs, and 8 original songs in a studio to send around to clubs. We were good, and wanted to travel. It just didn't happen though. I gave up on drums at 28. Needed more stability because I had custody of my daughter, and had to be a father. She became the priority in my life.

The 80's seem like a dream as I look back. So lucky, and grateful to grow up in that era. The world was peaceful then. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Lol on the head bangers ball. That show used to kick ayuss. That was back when music videos were music videos and sheep were scared.

I remember many, too many a late south Florida night popping back into our home (my dad had recently passed) and my mom would be sleeping, brothers had all moved out and I'd be all amped up and didn't score any babes (as we used to call em) that night so I'd just turn on the furniture TV and watch HBB as I gradually came down enough to pass out. Many of us were lucky we survived the 80's and early 90's.

The shizz the kids listen to today - fetty wap, rich homie quan and all that ghetto rap - I mean F, I basically live in aggrestic and my kids listen to shizz that's straight outa Compton.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Great story. Sounds a lot like my life when banging on the drums all day to a loud boom box next to you. "Head Bangers Ball". OMG! Watched it every Saturday night, ...well, when I wasn't out sneaking in Nightclubs (at 17) to watch other bands play. We recorded 3 cover songs, and 8 original songs in a studio to send around to clubs. We were good, and wanted to travel. It just didn't happen though. I gave up on drums at 28. Needed more stability because I had custody of my daughter, and had to be a father. She became the priority in my life.

The 80's seem like a dream as I look back. So lucky, and grateful to grow up in that era. The world was peaceful then. :)

Yeah crazy now looking back.. like a whole different life. Grow up thinking your going to be somebody then crash and burn.

Guess that life!

Waiting on the next coming of guitar hero! Haha. Love that game. Pretty good at that as well..

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Lol on the head bangers ball. That show used to kick ayuss. That was back when music videos were music videos and sheep were scared.

I remember many, too many a late south Florida night popping back into our home (my dad had recently passed) and my mom would be sleeping, brothers had all moved out and I'd be all amped up and didn't score any babes (as we used to call em) that night so I'd just turn on the furniture TV and watch HBB as I gradually came down enough to pass out. Many of us were lucky we survived the 80's and early 90's.

The shizz the kids listen to today - fetty wap, rich homie quan and all that ghetto rap - I mean F, I basically live in aggrestic and my kids listen to shizz that's straight outa Compton.

Word to your mother yo! Haha

Yeah back when people were actual musicians and played real instruments if one can believe that! .... was real!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
While you all were banging heads, I was slam dancing to the Pistols, Black Flag, and the Circle J's. Cool down tunes after the clubs closed was the Ramones. Ah, street hotdogs at 4:00 am (which was where most of the hookups got purchase), and the occasional questioning by the po po. Youthful railing against the wind, a vagabond brother/sisterhood of brashness. Good times.

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj

Agreed man. Zeppelin, the who, queen, early beatles, dion, robert johnson, son house, the doors, the white stripes, the racontuers, billy squire, .......n early elvis! (while scotty more was his guitarist) freakin frankie valley.

Thats some good shiz right there and practically nobody my age gives these people the props they deserve for their influences on the "music" of today.

I can even dig some ratm and cypress hill. But all the ..... ..... homies in the club crap is god awful. Ill take some doowop or old school rock any day.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
ed, if I post an ugly, horrendous pic of me, will you post your horrible pic? :headbang:

Don't know. Will have to think about that one. :D

"That was back when music videos were music videos and sheep were scared."
sarcastic_hand.gif
Yep!

Heck yeah we were lucky to survive it. I went to 15 concerts, and seen the likes of : Metallica, ACDC, Ted Nugent, Krokus, Motley Crue, KISS, Jackyl, Guns n Roses, Poison, Cinderella, RATT, Whitesnake, Lita Ford, Ozzy, and many more. Was lucky to get out alive during the GNR show in Knoxville.

Will agree on some of the music today. There's a few good groups, but some are way out there.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Agreed man. Zeppelin, the who, queen, early beatles, dion, robert johnson, son house, the doors, the white stripes, the racontuers, billy squire, ........ early elvis! (while scotty more was his guitarist) freakin frankie valley.

Thats some good shiz right there and practically nobody my age gives these people the props they deserve for their influences on the "music" of today.

I can even dig some ratm and cypress hill. But all the ..... ..... homies in the club crap is god awful. Ill take some doowop or old school rock any day.

You continue to impress. Wise beyond your years.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Word to your mother yo! Haha

Yeah back when people were actual musicians and played real instruments if one can believe that! .... was real!

Too funny I tell my kids that all the time. That those "rappers" can pretty much say (not sing) anything over some drum / low bass / catchy effect and it's gold. Zero education, talent or musical ability required. Just Auto tune, the most ridiculous lyrics and a hood accent. I even demonstrate it cause I can flow so smooth they call me dolla$ (not .50) but less when I don't cuss. If I cussed in front of em theyd pay me to lay down dope tracks for em.

They call my music emo and I just laugh. They say they all have black nails. I tell them atleast that chips off when they are shredding guitars and pounding drums.

Kids today. Back in my day if you were Caucasian and listened to rap you were a very vary small minority.

Now I'm the minority.

I've threatened to sell it all and move to one of the Atlanta ghettos so they can live the life of their musical inspiration. See how much they like it when they get their candy ayusses beat on the way to school for their shoes and their shirts. That vision doesn't go over so well with these "entitled" youth but I may still rent me a crib for a month in hood less entitled for some tough love.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Don't know. Will have to think about that one. :D

"That was back when music videos were music videos and sheep were scared."
sarcastic_hand.gif
Yep!

Heck yeah we were lucky to survive it. I went to 15 concerts, and seen the likes of : Metallica, ACDC, Ted Nugent, Krokus, Motley Crue, KISS, Jackyl, Guns n Roses, Poison, Cinderella, RATT, Whitesnake, Lita Ford, Ozzy, and many more. Was lucky to get out alive during the GNR show in Knoxville.

Will agree on some of the music today. There's a few good groups, but some are way out there.

Right on bro.

I've seen all of the above except GNR. Wish I did though.
I can add van halen (1984), def leppard (with and without arm) priest, iron maiden, scorpions, dio, tesla, pat travers, yngwe malmstien (spelling?), sound garden, blink, cure, queensryche, STP, Bonham, deftones, outfield, damn Yankees, our lady peace, better than Ezra, Rush (1st concert ever) and a shizz load of other lesser known metal / punk acts at festivals (butthole surfers, wallflowers, mighty mighty bosstones, etc). Many of the acts I mentioned I've seen more than once.
I saw Ratt every time they came to town. That would have been like 4 times and yes always with poison.

Hell I've even seen Natalie merchant with my wife. But my last concert was an ozzfest just before we left west palm. I remember very little of it. Very little except it had ozzy. Like I gave a F in like 2004 or 2005 about ozzy. It was more about the scene and gettin the buzz on :) it was at the Mars music amphitheater where jifjifjif saw his show recently. I've seen many a show there :) that place brings back many fond but foggy memories :)

I've prolly left a few off too. Concerts were huge in my coming up :)

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Awesome seeing more people share their past. I'm feeling slightly nostalgic myself. Before I sowed my oats I made a somewhat successful run as a commercial artist.

Also made a short run at kickboxing -
d246ff56c1aff9fa1f6d5145104c4326.jpg

Here's some snaps from the photographer days -

With Diane the pinesol lady at a Walt Disney world event, I was a freelancer at this one
8300fadc620410aef65d3cf4fe5d840b.jpg

Indie horror movie doing set photography
01d13609a1225880d68097ee839a16f0.jpg

Eating some fried rice in Peru
efcefff4c28707650f4c80d199b81be0.jpg

Shot a lot of weddings, did a lot of gigs, 2008 crash and moved back home to do my first degree.

Graduated and got back on my feet. Then settled down with this beautiful lady, not our kid -
e6eddb4e9d1e914106afde20c23e5196.jpg

Now I'm a programmer working on my 2nd and 3rd degrees. Modding mods, building coils, mixing my own juice, working on kraut/rice rockets, taking pictures and loving it 100 times more than getting paid for it, fell into a career, and loving life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj
I still think The Rain Song by Zep is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Agreed. Have you seen the royal albert hall performance? The whole thing is amazing, but white summer gives me chills man every single time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread