Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
For example, as a asthma sufferer my inhalers have PG in it, but asthma inhalers are only used a couple times a day with 1-2 puffs per use, not constant puffing hour after hour day after day.
It's been said that hospitals use it in their air systems..if they are the exposure rate is very very minimum, otherwise, where are all the reported cases of people who had a negative reaction due to being allergic or sensitive to PG? People with severe allergies/respiratory problems are at their local hospital frequently for blood work/test..surely a pattern would start to form among patients/employees reporting reactions/breathing problems every time they entered the building.

I use my albuterol inhaler at least 8 puffs a day, every day, for the last 30+ yrs.

And I think the 2nd part there, about hospitals, surely illustrates that this so-called "allergy" to PG is nothing of the sort; most of those who claim to be "allergic" to PG are in fact just highly sensitive to it -- and there's a big difference. An allergy means that ANY! exposure, no matter how slight, will bring on the very characteristic symptoms of allergy -- hives, itching, wheezing, sneezing, vomiting, or outright anaphylaxis.

I'm not saying that allergy to PG is impossible -- humans are much too varied for that. I just think it's vanishingly rare, or we'd see a lot more of it just from people visiting others in hospitals, or working in a hospital. People have a tendency to think that if something gives them a problem, it's automatically an "allergy," but the physiology of allergy is quite distinct from simply being sensitive to something. I can't vape over 15% of VG or I can't breathe... but I can put it on my skin all day long -- if it was an allergy, I couldn't do that. I can vape 85% PG all day and half the night... but if I boost the PG to 90%, it burns my throat, sinuses, and nasal passages. So I have a certain amount of sensitivity to both substances, but with VG it only takes a little, and it has to be inhaled, for the sensitivity to show up; with PG, only whopping amounts of it give me any trouble -- and some would consider 85% a whopping amount -- for me, it's simply what's necessary so that I don't get more than 15% VG.

Andria

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I use my albuterol inhaler at least 8 puffs a day, every day, for the last 30+ yrs.

And I think the 2nd part there, about hospitals, surely illustrates that this so-called "allergy" to PG is nothing of the sort; most of those who claim to be "allergic" to PG are in fact just highly sensitive to it -- and there's a big difference. An allergy means that ANY! exposure, no matter how slight, will bring on the very characteristic symptoms of allergy -- hives, itching, wheezing, sneezing, vomiting, or outright anaphylaxis.

I'm not saying that allergy to PG is impossible -- humans are much too varied for that. I just think it's vanishingly rare, or we'd see a lot more of it just from people visiting others in hospitals, or working in a hospital. People have a tendency to think that if something gives them a problem, it's automatically an "allergy," but the physiology of allergy is quite distinct from simply being sensitive to something. I can't vape over 15% of VG or I can't breathe... but I can put it on my skin all day long -- if it was an allergy, I couldn't do that. I can vape 85% PG all day and half the night... but if I boost the PG to 90%, it burns my throat, sinuses, and nasal passages. So I have a certain amount of sensitivity to both substances, but with VG it only takes a little, and it has to be inhaled, for the sensitivity to show up; with PG, only whopping amounts of it give me any trouble -- and some would consider 85% a whopping amount -- for me, it's simply what's necessary so that I don't get more than 15% VG.

Andria

I have the same problem with PG and VG. I seem to do well with 50/50vg but if i vape a lot that day i have to grab my 60/40vg because the vg gets me way worse with feeling like i am trying to breath in a hot sauna. Same with nic, i can not vape more then 12mg, and that is pushing it, or i get sick feeling and my throat and lungs hurt...i vape 3-6mg.

My pul doc did not want me using my rescue inhaler more then every 6-8hrs...and that was only for flareups that lasted a couple days..beyond that i was to only use it before exercising and isolated episodes. He said if i needed it more then that then my main asthma inhalers either needed to be adjusted, changed or a round of predisone was needed...so i was a bit shocked to hear you use your's up to 8 times a day. I don't know about you but most asthma meds nowadays are powdery forms and i hate them...they burn my throat and my esophagus and much prefer the aerosol any day. I take Breo and Incruse twice a day and got a new rescue inhaler called Proair that i have not tried yet...i learned insurance won't cover all three because they are new drugs so will probably go back to Spiriva, Advair and Proventil on my next appt....these were samples and honestly not worth paying out of pocket for given the first two were like inhaling hot spices.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I'm seeing concerns about flavors, but no ill health effects that I know of?

No i didn't mean there are currently health problems associated with flavorings, just that we now know that certain flavors with diketones can pose future health problems...these are things we didn't know when vaping first hit the market..just like other things we still probably don't know now that will surface down the road.

Reactions: JimDrock

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have the same problem with PG and VG. I seem to do well with 50/50vg but if i vape a lot that day i have to grab my 60/40vg because the vg gets me way worse with feeling like i am trying to breath in a hot sauna. Same with nic, i can not vape more then 12mg, and that is pushing it, or i get sick feeling and my throat and lungs hurt...i vape 3-6mg.

My pul doc did not want me using my rescue inhaler more then every 6-8hrs...and that was only for flareups that lasted a couple days..beyond that i was to only use it before exercising and isolated episodes. He said if i needed it more then that then my main asthma inhalers either needed to be adjusted, changed or a round of predisone was needed...so i was a bit shocked to hear you use your's up to 8 times a day. I don't know about you but most asthma meds nowadays are powdery forms and i hate them...they burn my throat and my esophagus and much prefer the aerosol any day. I take Breo and Incruse twice a day and got a new rescue inhaler called Proair that i have not tried yet...i learned insurance won't cover all three because they are new drugs so will probably go back to Spiriva, Advair and Proventil on my next appt....these were samples and honestly not worth paying out of pocket for given the first two were like inhaling hot spices.

Yes, I use Advair along with my albuterol now, and it helps, but I think I need a different dosage; right now I'm using the 250/50 version, and I think it needs to be the 500/50 version, to give me more of the fluticasone (steroid) without doubling the salmeterol; too much salmeterol gives me ungodly leg cramps, because it's a potassium thief. The fact that I still need my albuterol 8 puffs a day is why I think I need more of the steroid. I'll be seeing that doc in August, so that can be addressed.

At my last visit, he gave me some samples of another, called "Dulera" -- and that stuff was amazingly effective, but it's not a GSK product, so I can't be having it as my regular medicine -- I have an arrangement with GSK thru their "Bridges to Access" program, which provides me with free medication, due to low income and no health insurance. Since Advair is a GSK product, I can get it for free also. But you might like the Dulera; it's aerosol rather than powder (which is one reason I really liked it, aside from its amazing efficacy).

As for the rescue inhaler... I use it when I feel short of breath -- however much that might be. Clearly my maintenance meds aren't maintaining me very well, if I still need 8 or more puffs a day of the albuterol. I try to not go beyond 10 puffs daily, but before I got on the Advair, it was 12-15 a day -- and my doc agrees, that's far too much -- hence the Advair.

Andria

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Yes, I use Advair along with my albuterol now, and it helps, but I think I need a different dosage; right now I'm using the 250/50 version, and I think it needs to be the 500/50 version, to give me more of the fluticasone (steroid) without doubling the salmeterol; too much salmeterol gives me ungodly leg cramps, because it's a potassium thief. The fact that I still need my albuterol 8 puffs a day is why I think I need more of the steroid. I'll be seeing that doc in August, so that can be addressed.

At my last visit, he gave me some samples of another, called "Dulera" -- and that stuff was amazingly effective, but it's not a GSK product, so I can't be having it as my regular medicine -- I have an arrangement with GSK thru their "Bridges to Access" program, which provides me with free medication, due to low income and no health insurance. Since Advair is a GSK product, I can get it for free also. But you might like the Dulera; it's aerosol rather than powder (which is one reason I really liked it, aside from its amazing efficacy).

As for the rescue inhaler... I use it when I feel short of breath -- however much that might be. Clearly my maintenance meds aren't maintaining me very well, if I still need 8 or more puffs a day of the albuterol. I try to not go beyond 10 puffs daily, but before I got on the Advair, it was 12-15 a day -- and my doc agrees, that's far too much -- hence the Advair.

Andria

500/50 is what i was on and yes it was a massive difference when i was switched from the 250/50. OMG i feel for you about the leg cramps as i get those really bad...so bad i keep a hair dryer beside my bed for during the night when they strike while i wait for the heating pad to heat up. I must admit i was wondering how you tolerated Albuterol that much because it makes me insane with jitters, teeth grinding, and rapid heart rate if i use too much of it...then godzilla is unleashed and all hell breaks loose...everybody in the house runs for cover because i am fit to be tied. Predisone does the same thing to me after a couple days on it.
I will certainly have to ask about the Dulera have not tried it..thanks for the tip.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
500/50 is what i was on and yes it was a massive difference when i was switched from the 250/50. OMG i feel for you about the leg cramps as i get those really bad...so bad i keep a hair dryer beside my bed for during the night when they strike while i wait for the heating pad to heat up. I must admit i was wondering how you tolerated Albuterol that much because it makes me insane with jitters, teeth grinding, and rapid heart rate if i use too much of it...then godzilla is unleashed and all hell breaks loose...everybody in the house runs for cover because i am fit to be tied. Predisone does the same thing to me after a couple days on it.
I will certainly have to ask about the Dulera have not tried it..thanks for the tip.

Actually, albuterol in regular inhalers has been designed to not pass the blood barrier, it stays topical to the lung tissue due to molecule size, rather than becoming systemic. However with a nebulizer, that doesn't apply, nor with albuterol pills. I know that overuse of inhaled albuterol can lead to "paradoxical asthma attack" -- causing it rather than fixing it -- so I try to keep it at 10 puffs or less, but honestly, albuterol is one of the safest medicines available; it's been around for a very long time, and has a very low incidence of side effects, with the regular inhalers. Too much steroid use can definitely cause "'roid rage" -- I once had such a bad attack I had to be hospitalized, with an IV drip of prednisone and theophylline, and man, the nurses had to peel me off the ceiling, I was in such a state. I'm just hoping the 500/50 won't be enough fluticasone to affect me that way.

My mom used to have to use that, for her COPD, but the longer she's away from smoking, the better her lungs get, and she doesn't need it any longer, so when my lungs first started getting bad last summer, she gave me her old half-full 500/50 Advair, and it worked very well, and didn't seem to cause me any problems. But I'll probably need to start taking calcium too, since steroids can bring on/worsen osteoporosis -- which runs in my family very strongly, so I try to stay on top of it.

Andria

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Actually, albuterol in regular inhalers has been designed to not pass the blood barrier, it stays topical to the lung tissue due to molecule size, rather than becoming systemic. However with a nebulizer, that doesn't apply, nor with albuterol pills. I know that overuse of inhaled albuterol can lead to "paradoxical asthma attack" -- causing it rather than fixing it -- so I try to keep it at 10 puffs or less, but honestly, albuterol is one of the safest medicines available; it's been around for a very long time, and has a very low incidence of side effects, with the regular inhalers. Too much steroid use can definitely cause "'roid rage" -- I once had such a bad attack I had to be hospitalized, with an IV drip of prednisone and theophylline, and man, the nurses had to peel me off the ceiling, I was in such a state. I'm just hoping the 500/50 won't be enough fluticasone to affect me that way.

My mom used to have to use that, for her COPD, but the longer she's away from smoking, the better her lungs get, and she doesn't need it any longer, so when my lungs first started getting bad last summer, she gave me her old half-full 500/50 Advair, and it worked very well, and didn't seem to cause me any problems. But I'll probably need to start taking calcium too, since steroids can bring on/worsen osteoporosis -- which runs in my family very strongly, so I try to stay on top of it.

Andria

That is so awesome about your mom Andria!!! I have had asthma since i was a kid, but then smoking got me COPD...my light bulb was quite dimmed in my younger days when i started smoking...smiles and giggles

You and every one else have a great 4th of July!! I don't like firework events because of the fumes, but i am being guilted into going to one.....*grabs inhaler puts it in backpack with whispers of bickering as i try to appear enthusiastic with a smile*

Reactions: JimDrock

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
It's always great when people with no knowledge try to denounce vaping by regurgitating agenda-driven social media headlines, and try to lecture you about it being dangerous because of things like "all the unknown chemicals". Or some other uninformed claim that you then get the pleasure of debunking by assaulting them with vaping lingo like: "glycol/glycerin/kanthal/nickel/ohms/voltage/wattage/regulated/dna chip/etc". To us these are fundamental, uncomplicated, everyday words - but to someone who knows deep down that they don't know what they are talking about, these words can end the conversation rather quickly when delivered with conviction, and it's always fun.

It does not always work, though. Humans are stubborn. I happened to stumble across this last night, and maybe it's been covered here before. After brushing my two year old's teeth, I looked at the bottle for whatever reason. Take a look at the ingredients.

View attachment 466722
View attachment 466723

So now, when information and facts do not work when defending yourself against these people (which they often don't), you can now just tell them that the main "unknown chemical" base used in e-liquid is also a main ingredient in their toddler's toothpaste. What a horrible parent! ;)
So you vaporize toothpaste and inhale it, and here I thought you put it on a brush and brushed your teeth with it

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That is so awesome about your mom Andria!!! I have had asthma since i was a kid, but then smoking got me COPD...my light bulb was quite dimmed in my younger days when i started smoking...smiles and giggles

You and every one else have a great 4th of July!! I don't like firework events because of the fumes, but i am being guilted into going to one.....*grabs inhaler puts it in backpack with whispers of bickering as i try to appear enthusiastic with a smile*

I didn't get asthma till I was 24, and had already been a smoker for over 10 yrs -- and the doc's all "if you don't quit smoking, you WILL get COPD, because you already have asthma." I smiled and nodded, having recently experienced my first failed quit attempt. I had 3 more in later years, and all were so dreadful I had given up giving it up! Then I heard about e-cigs, it was a very cold winter, and I thought how nice it would be if I didn't have to go outside in 20 degree (or less!) weather just to puff a ....! The thought of eventual COPD and/or lung cancer (which got my dad) was always in there, and I really thought I was just simply insane, but I knew I couldn't quit. E-cigs were the first and only thing to prove me wrong. So, even if vaping is causing my asthma some distress, it's worth working out and getting thru, because of the vast miracle that e-cigs are to me. :thumb:

Andria

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Here's my end argument every time:
If you're concerned about the potential harm that vaping may cause, and about what may or may not be in the juice, then you should probably not vape. But you should not tell me that I cannot vape, because I'm fully aware of the possible dangers given the current science.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Here's my end argument every time:
If you're concerned about the potential harm that vaping may cause, and about what may or may not be in the juice, then you should probably not vape. But you should not tell me that I cannot vape, because I'm fully aware of the possible dangers given the current science.
Huh? Some of us are concerned about a small number of specific chemicals used in some flavorings, not about the harm that vaping in general might cause. I have no qualms with people who want to vape liquids that contain them despite their potential hazard. All I ask is that vendors give consumers the ability to make an informed choice; the ability to avoid high concentrations of those substances if they wish to.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Huh? Some of us are concerned about a small number of specific chemicals used in some flavorings, not about the harm that vaping in general might cause. I have no qualms with people who want to vape liquids that contain them despite their potential hazard. All I ask is that vendors give consumers the ability to make an informed choice; the ability to avoid high concentrations of those substances if they wish to.
this begs the question if we do not know what if any
harm is being caused how informed of a choice are
we making? what are we asking of the vendors?
must they stop everything they are doing and
immediately throw every available resource
and unlimited amount of cash in the direction
of each and every concern a customer may possibly
have all in the name of transparency?
vendors have to make choices too. they are not
always going to be your choice.
:2c:
regards
mike

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Playing devils advocate here...

The angle of concern i always see when people challenge the safety of vaping is on the bases of inhaling vs ingesting, and vaping large quantities of it in it's aerosol form directly into the lungs at a sustained rate of hour after hour 24/7/ 365 days of the year. Many examples people use to support the safety of vaping are just not valid in my opinion.

For example, as a asthma sufferer my inhalers have PG in it, but asthma inhalers are only used a couple times a day with 1-2 puffs per use, not constant puffing hour after hour day after day.
It's been said that hospitals use it in their air systems..if they are the exposure rate is very very minimum, otherwise, where are all the reported cases of people who had a negative reaction due to being allergic or sensitive to PG? People with severe allergies/respiratory problems are at their local hospital frequently for blood work/test..surely a pattern would start to form among patients/employees reporting reactions/breathing problems every time they entered the building.

My point is..if your going to refute arguments by using other products that contain PG/VG... unless it is a product that is inhaled by means of a aerosol into the lungs constantly on a sustained bases 24/7/365 days of the year, then it is not a legit comparison..your argument will be dismissed and looked upon as avoiding the core basis of safety issues raised and challenged by the general public..which i find understandable.

We have to do better then this folks if we want to be taken seriously with the general public when we address their concerns and challenges on the safety of vaping. We really need to stop with the "if it's safe to ingest it's safe to inhale", and making comparisons to products that are not consumed nor inhaled at the same day in and day out rate that vaping is.

The 'hospitals pump PG into their ventilation systems' is a myth. There were studies done, but no proof it is currently being done. PG is used in small canisters which release a timed puff in certain situations- like locker rooms and hospitals...

Reactions: DeAnna2112

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa

I have no argument with this. Whatsoever.
The industry seems to be handling it on their own, with the help of consumers, and everyone is free to do their own chemical analyses as they see fit.

A government mandate that everything about vaping must be harmless for everyone, and anyone, at all times, means there will be no more vaping. That's their preferred outcome, but it's not mine.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
The 'hospitals pump PG into their ventilation systems' is a myth. There were studies done, but no proof it is currently being done. PG is used in small canisters which release a timed puff in certain situations- like locker rooms and hospitals...
Im not sure if its a myth,I have a can of Ozium here and the label lists 4.4% Propylene Glycol.I think that is what the hospitals are useing.I am no expert though.All I know is we used to spray it inthe car when we were about to be pulled over by an officer of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread