A germ-killing vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Karen, in the research it was never mentioned that PG killed rhinoviruses, the little devils behind the common cold. Pneumonia? Yes. Tuberculosis? Yes. A cold? No mention so it probably has no effect.

Take two aspirin and post me in the morning.
Besides, I would expect it to act against airborn virii and bacteria, but colds and flus are usually transmitted by contact, or getting coughed or sneezed on. :mad:

Ugh. Don't make me laugh. It hurts.
Voice is teetering on almost gone. Pretty dangerous in the business I'm in.
I do NOT recommend using your e-cig with a chest cold at all. It hurts 100 times worse. A dry cough is even dryer and the expectorant takes longer to work. I'm using nic gum right now...put my e-cig down for a few days to get through this. The expectorant is starting to work now I think.

Last edited:

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Defatting as a known health effect? Cool.... Haven't noticed any defatting yet though. :(

Not to be negative but I thought that I'd share that I found this.. isn't much but I didn't see this information posted anywhere on here.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Propylene Glycol[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Known health effects.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eye irritation, skin irritation, skin drying, defatting. Ingestion has serious health effects similar to above.[/FONT]

I love it! I was wondering if I could attribute my absolute lack of sickness this winter to the fact I'm not smoking as many analogues now, however it seems that the PG may be helping too. All I know for sure is, since I started e-smoking, I haven't had one cold, flu or chest infection. Prior to that, I had constant respiratory issues the whole time.

KatyS

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
I love it! I was wondering if I could attribute my absolute lack of sickness this winter to the fact I'm not smoking as many analogues now, however it seems that the PG may be helping too. All I know for sure is, since I started e-smoking, I haven't had one cold, flu or chest infection. Prior to that, I had constant respiratory issues the whole time.

I posted this on another thread think it belongs here: I believe this about the germ killing. Was playing poker tonite and lots of the smokers were coughing and sniffing. 2 of them have their yearly bronchitis that takes weeks to totally get rid of. Last year I was hacking and sniffing along with them, not this year (quit analog cigs 4/08). No sinus infections, coughs or sniffles. I will still get my Flu shot, but feeling great thru this seasonal change over. :)

Somoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2008
USA
The 1942 Study showed the inFluenza virus was infective to a group of mice where Propylene Glycol was present in the atmosphere. It stands to reason then that unless you had PG in your lungs at the moment of exposure, you were just as susceptible to the Flu virus as a non PG smoker. Next time the Flu hits my house, Im going to personally sterilize every room in the house with my 901 :thumb:.

Because e-smokers help people..... :cry:

Hey Ryle...we already know PG can probably kill yer .... But we still vape it like we still smoked cigarettes knowing it could probably give us lung cancer.

So the subject, is it a germ killing vapor? Maybe...probably not. Just answered that two posts back. Not the cold or flu germ for sure. My husband was eat up with it last week. Now, I've got the cold from hell. My chest hurts so bad I can't even vape right now. There was no prevention there. Just a dryer throat to add to the germ I got. Vaping irritates it more. So I'll be chewing nicotine gum til this thing goes away.

And germs that cause bad breath? Don't kill those either. I just woke up and killed the plants.

It's a nice thought here, but I think this is another one to cross off our lists.

dazzer1975

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Rochdale...sadly.
I also don't know about the digestive tract except to say that I get heartburn type symptoms sometimes when using pg vapour (but it could be to do with higher nicotine).

me too, but I think this is a symptom of nicotine overdose, along with feeling dizzy and slightly nauseous although all symptoms aren't necessarily going to be present at once.

I know I have more chance of getting the heartburn symptom if I have had some of the liquid come up from the mouthpiece onto my mouth/tongue... and thus put it down to nic overdose... especially as its just a more severe for of heartburn than when I have smoked the occasional ... using patches or inhalator etc

p.s. as an aside, anyone able to provide me with a link where all the discussion regarding the problems associated with inhaling pg are kept please?

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Could be allergic to PG. Many with a PG allergy are using VG.

As a person allergic to some substances I would recommend a simple test. Buy some antihistamine medication, use it and watch if the syndroms subside. Watch out, though: Some antihistamines are actually a cocktail with pseudoephedrine which works miracles whether it is an allergy or not. Avoid these; they will tell you nothing.

I will still get my Flu shot

You may want to reconsider...

- Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
- Phenol, also known as carbolic acid (this is used as a disinfectant, dye)
- Formaldehyde, a known cancer-causing agent
- Aluminum, which is associated with Alzheimer's disease and seizures and also cancer producing in laboratory mice (it is used as an additive to promote antibody response)
- Thimerosal (used as a mercury disinfectant/preservative) can result in brain injury and autoimmune disease
- Neomycin and Streptomycin (used as antibiotics) have caused allergic reaction in some people.

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
I kind of feel like the last guy to arrive at a good party.
I noticed that there isn’t any mention of night club fog machines. There is a club that I go to that the sound and light guy goes nuts with the fog machine. Fog machine can use near straight propylene glycol. (up to 10% distilled water: 90% propylene glycol mix the mix and othre chemicals very depending on the fluid manufacturer). I think he might get a little giddy when I show him the research reports.

bitfi3nd

Dec 16, 2008
The 1942 Study showed the inFluenza virus was infective to a group of mice where Propylene Glycol was present in the atmosphere. It stands to reason then that unless you had PG in your lungs at the moment of exposure, you were just as susceptible to the Flu virus as a non PG smoker. Next time the Flu hits my house, Im going to personally sterilize every room in the house with my 901 :thumb:.

Because e-smokers help people..... :cry:

And any contact with any mucus membranes can infect you, not just inhalation.. PG is only effective against airborne bacteria/virii. If you have a the virus on your finger, and wipe your eye, pick your nose:D etc., it isn't going to help to be puffing away on your e-cig.

And where the idea that PG is some horrifying killer chemical came from I have no idea. The evidence we have suggests otherwise, as does it's widespread use in many internally taken products for long periods of time.

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
And where the idea that PG is some horrifying killer chemical came from I have no idea. The evidence we have suggests otherwise, as does it's widespread use in many internally taken products for long periods of time.

It's the same reflex against technical sounding things that sells 'natural' products with no 'chemicals' in them. (What's in those yoghurts anyway, electromagnetism?). If PG was called something inaccurate like sugar oil or ethereal fog or something it would be less of a problem. There's also the MSDS, which says things about kidney damage and many writers have exaggerated this.

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
Wouldn't it be great if after all the fear of what tobacco smoking is doing to us we find out that we are actually making ourselves 'healthier' than we would normally be... by vaping....I guess only time will tell... at least this forum is where we will get to find out.

Health is quite a subjective notion. For instance, since nicotine theoretically reduces alzheimer's disease and can modulate schizophrenia and smoking shortens your life giving you less time to develop these diseases, your lifetime mental health is improved even with tobacco smoking. That's unless you consider nicotine addiction a mental health problem, which is a pretty recent idea. I also have known some very fit cancer patients and overweight yet disease free people.

I wish life was like Doom, where you start with 100 health, reduced by 5 every time you get shot and increasing when you eat a first aid box.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Haha ... but I do know I am indeed trying to 'neutralize' my environment all the time at the moment with my e-cig (lot of flu going around here). I'm just blowing vapor over everything from outside that gets near to me... be it groceries before they enter my car, or my hands after having handled doorknobs in public places... really funny or weird in fact, doing this.. but ha! I'm still flu-free! :D

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
When Bob first posted this thread I was at the point of deciding whether to go down the PG or VG route. After reading the post I thought I would stick with the PG (as he is doing) to see if it did help with the usual round of winter germs. Being in a job where I come into contact with lots of other people I normally catch most things going round. Well so far this season I have had two colds, and fingers crossed no flu. The interesting thing for me is that the colds have been only sinus related, no cough, no chest infection when others have caught what is probably my germs and had bad coughs and chest infections with them. Whether this is a coincidence or related to me no longer smoking I don't know, but when I have ever had a cold before it is always had a cough with it. So for now I am going to stick with the PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread