A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Diane

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
uk
That may go some way to explain why I always get bit of a nose bleed when I give up analogues. Nothing to do with eSmoking, just something I've come to expect.

It;s strange you should mention the nose bleeds but when i blow my nose i can on occasions get a small nose bleed.. I have had a couple of quite nasty ones, but i put this down to being on oxygen when i was in hospital earlier this year i thought it had scratched the skin on the inside of my nose.

i was quite confused as i had my tonsils out as a child and it those days they did the adenoids up your nose too, so for ????? years , i never had a nose bleed.

somewhere along the line i think my mom said (it was a grannies tale )
that if you kept getting bad headaches you needed a nose bleed to clear your head anyway how true that is who knows

Miss Diane

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
uk
The only things I experienced besides dry throat was muscle cramps and a generally wiped out feeling. I found myself napping a lot. Could have been because of the muscle cramps.

I found that certain e liquids give me a sore/ dry throat , i dont get muscle cramps but do get aching muscles i put this down to anything but e cigs, ands well i can nap for england.

Sometimes you dont think about the different symptoms until somebody else mentions it then you start to think.

i did do a thread way back about side effects i was having a few weeks after packing up fags this maybe interesting for new comers to read, as there was som different answers on that

Sir_Puffalot

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2008
UK
I had the usual sore throat for a couple of weeks and general aches and pains, don`t know how much of this was e-smoking though. Recently I`ve been plauged with mouth ulcers but strangely this is only since smoking my Bling with the Ruyan carts. Could it be possible that there are changing the PH balance in my mouth which can contribute to ulcers.:confused:

SANJP

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
LONDON UK
I noticed after 4 weeks of just E smoking and no Real Cigs

Skin spots break out after 1-2 weeks

Sore throat (which has gone now) strait away after 2 days

but skin drying out and Ive never suffered from dry skin before

Not sure if vaping is drying me out from the inside or all that 20 years of tar and tabbaco is coming out ??

totally confusing !!

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It;s strange you should mention the nose bleeds but when i blow my nose i can on occasions get a small nose bleed.. I have had a couple of quite nasty ones, but i put this down to being on oxygen when i was in hospital earlier this year i thought it had scratched the skin on the inside of my nose.

i was quite confused as i had my tonsils out as a child and it those days they did the adenoids up your nose too, so for ????? years , i never had a nose bleed.

somewhere along the line i think my mom said (it was a grannies tale )
that if you kept getting bad headaches you needed a nose bleed to clear your head anyway how true that is who knows

Grannies tales are the best aren't they? :)

I don't know why I get nose bleeds but each time I've given up (and believe me thats quite a few times!) it's always happened. Nothing major you understand, just happens.

They say that smoking tobacco goes some way to protecting you from colds and other nasties because your lungs are coated in so much tar and other rubbish that it forms a protective layer. I wonder if the same thing happens with your nose? So when you stop smoking your nostrils have to cope on their own without all the yucky mucus layer. (I'll stop now, too much info!) Here's hoping this is the last time I (we?) ever give up and we don't have to find out :thumb:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
More likely nicotine. You have written the response many non-smokers have to nicotine. You were a heavy cigarette smoker, right? You did not just decide intellectually that addicting yourself to nicotine would be somehow "cool"? No one should take up e-smoking who was not previously a heavy cigarette smoker. Tragic, tragic mistake if they do. Addiction to nicotine is not something to relish.

If you just like the idea of snorting vapor from your nose, use pure VG with an extract flavor.

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
iv not seen anyone here with the problem, but i had to stop esmoking till there is some new formula to try.

i had developed rapid heartbeat high blood pressure, and anxiety. iv tried several times to "try again" after a mount of time and the symptoms return. i can only guess it's the PG

I had similar problems to this up until this week and discovered that my high blood pressure together with that horrible jittery feeling was only happening in the morning time. The only time I drink anything with caffeine is in the morning and cutting out the coffee has completely solved the problem. Probably won't work for everyone but certainly worth considering.

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
I had similar problems to this up until this week and discovered that my high blood pressure together with that horrible jittery feeling was only happening in the morning time. The only time I drink anything with caffeine is in the morning and cutting out the coffee has completely solved the problem. Probably won't work for everyone but certainly worth considering.

Cutting out coffee??? 8-o What is this travesty you speak of Lil? Couldn't you just cut off an arm or something instead? :cry:

Pegaso

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
Spain
I don't know if this answer could be of some use to anyone, but here I go ;).

I haven't used any e-cig yet, so don´t know the effects of PG or VG (just what I could read from you).

However, I've been smoking cigarettes for about 20 years (and pipe, but that's another history). In that time, I did quit smoking twice, and both times I could do it for 6 months (and both times I started to smoke again after 6 months... yes, I'm an idiot, lol ).

First time, due to a strong bronchitis that really scared me.
Second time, after a severe traffic accident that kept me in a hospital's bed (so couldn't smoke by law, hehe, and shouldn't anyway, as one of my lungs was damaged in the accident).

I experienced most (if not all) the symptoms you are describing, and I didn't even know about something called "e-cigs". Headaches, caughing, big green phlegms coming out of my throat (disgusting, agghhh), itchy nose, insomnia, ...

Both times, I started thinking it was because of the situation (specially my severe bronchitis the first time, second time I was sedated most of the day so I didn't notice symptoms so severely... but phlegms :cry: ).
I simply supposed that quiting cigarettes should improve my health, not make it worse, but it doesn't work that way... at least at the beginning. :p

Looking for information later, I found out many interesting things about the effects of tobacco in our body. The fact is, it's not a "protective" layer (as I've read in this thread), but it acts as a "sedative" for our bronchuses and lungs. Let's see if I can explain myself...

If a non-smoker inhales "strange particles", the body will automatically notice it, and will react caughing to make them go out and protect the lungs. It also happen to us when we start smoking (remember your first ciggy if u can... hehehe).
As long as we smoke more and more, different substances in the smoke cover our natural defense system, and the body doesn't notice anymore all the **** that is coming inside (and that remains there).

When we stop smoking for some time, the "sedative" effect starts to disspear. It's not neccesary a very long time to notice this, a few hours can be enough. Did you ever wonder why smokers suffer severe coughing every morning and not during the rest of the day?... 8 hours non-smoking (well, and to be lying also helps to that, as more **** comes up). You start smoking again, and coughing is gone.

So, when you stop smoking for much longer time, that sedative effect disappears completely, your body "wakes up", it starts to notice again all the **** you have inside, the defense mechanisms begin to work again... and it's war! : non-stop caughing, all the **** coming out from all the holes of your body, you really feel sick!
Now sum to that the nicotine abstinence syndrome (and other addictive substances), cold sweting, muscular spasms,... it's a nightmare! :lol:

And they say quiting smoking improves your health! :cry:...
... well, it does.
Those sympthoms don't last forever, or at least not so severe :p .
Depending on the time you've been smoking, how many ciggs a day... you'll need more time or less till your body gets used to the new situation, and calms down a bit :)
Then you start to feel you can smell things again (even the smell of ciggs from other somkers!), that you breath better and deeper, that food tastes different (that some food has unexpected taste, lol ), that you don't caugh in the morning any more... great! :D

And then, if you are as stupid as me, you feel so good that you forget all you've gone trough to quit... and start smoking again :-x

Well, all this just to say that I have no idea if any of your sympthoms are caused by giving smoking up, or by PG or VG, or mixing everything... but I've gone through them twice without the help of e-cigs, and I'm afraid I'll probably suffer 'em again when I start vaping... (may I be a masochist? :D ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread